Enroute vs Terminal Megathread

Have you toured any facilities? Might be worth it to tour a tower or up/down and a center to get a feel for what they’re like and make a decision from how you feel afterwards.

Assuming you're asking me haha but I have a family friend that works at a center I toured that but I have not toured a tower before, would definitely be interested in doing that though.

You can evaluate pros and cons of each, but A lot comes down to personal preference. I can’t stand working tower. Would I take DFW if I had to, sure, but I’d personally be happier and get more job satisfaction trolling around D10.

You can evaluate pros and cons of each, but A lot comes down to personal preference. I can’t stand working tower. Would I take DFW if I had to, sure, but I’d personally be happier and get more job satisfaction trolling around D10.

Do you mind elaborating on why you hate tower? I know we may have different pros and cons but any day to day insight I would find very useful.

Do you mind elaborating on why you hate tower? I know we may have different pros and cons but any day to day insight I would find very useful.
I'm gonna completely speak out of turn here and say MJ works(ed) at an up/down and if you're not a lazy slug working approach is just way more fun.

Last edited:
Are enroute folks only able to go to artcc's while staying as enroute or are there other options without going to the tower side? For instance, tracon?

Are enroute folks only able to go to artcc's while staying as enroute or are there other options without going to the tower side? For instance, tracon?

I’m at a center trying to transfer to a level 11 TRACON, all depends on the NCEPT. It’s possible. All I know is Center though so, TRACON should be challenging and fun, nervous but excited if my ERR gets approved

I'm gonna completely speak out of turn here and say MJ works(ed) at an up/down and if you're not a lazy slug working approach is just way more fun.
Pretty much this. Much more control, more to do.

I’m at a center trying to transfer to a level 11 TRACON, all depends on the NCEPT. It’s possible. All I know is Center though so, TRACON should be challenging and fun, nervous but excited if my ERR gets approved
The biggest difference in my experience, 11 center to 11 TRACON, is I feel like you are way more active with the situation. You are more "in the cockpit" with the crew if that makes sense. That's with my experience anyways, definitely more fun/challenging then the center I was at. That being said, I miss aspects of the center.

If you don't mind me asking, what center are you at? For the most part center transfers have been successful at D21... Some have had issues with using less than five miles separation. At D21 there isn't room on final for five mile gaps. Other issues have been center controllers not knowing airplane types or how to clear for an approach; but that was a center controller who didn't own to the surface anywhere in their airspace.

If you don't mind me asking, what center are you at? For the most part center transfers have been successful at D21... Some have had issues with using less than five miles separation. At D21 there isn't room on final for five mile gaps. Other issues have been center controllers not knowing airplane types or how to clear for an approach; but that was a center controller who didn't own to the surface anywhere in their airspace.
This is similar to my position. Center controller that doesn’t work to the ground except on the mid. We do have some 3 mile airspace. I’m trying to get to a level 9 TRACON.

Last edited by a moderator:
How come no one mentions the ABC keyboard that’s molded into the console. That’s the worst thing ever if you go from a center to a tracon.

I’m at ZMP, my Area is a “terminal” sector, lol. We work the descend via’s and Departures out of MSP, along with airport control for some satellite airports (3 being class D). We do our fair share of airport control, not a bunch but it’s not foreign to me. I’ve been visiting and talking to some contacts at D21. Trying everything I can to get there. You’re currently there??

Last edited:
The biggest difference in my experience, 11 center to 11 TRACON, is I feel like you are way more active with the situation. You are more "in the cockpit" with the crew if that makes sense. That's with my experience anyways, definitely more fun/challenging then the center I was at. That being said, I miss aspects of the center.

Another guy here at the center who just came back from a TRACON said the same thing to me today about it being more involved and active.

I’m at ZMP, my Area is a “terminal” sector, lol. We work the descend via’s and Departures out of MSP, along with airport control for some satellite airports (3 being class D). We do our fair share of airport control, not a bunch but it’s not foreign to me. I’ve been visiting and talking to some contacts at D21. Trying everything I can to get there. You’re currently there??
Nah I left a year and a half ago but I stop in a few times a year and talk to people there almost daily

Back
Top Bottom