Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

Don't give up hope, y'all! My POC informed me just yesterday that "[R]ight now... per guidance of our management are priority is to rate application for the announcement that just closed in January. We are nearing the end of rating, as soon as we finish we should be able to resume filling classes." (grammar/spelling issues verbatim)

Lo and behold: I just got my start date of 6/17/20, Terminal. (Received today!)

Now am intensely going through the forums researching terminal vs. en route experiences. If any of you experienced hands out there could respond or shoot me a DM weighing in on the work feel (for lack of a better term) for your route, I would greatly appreciate it. As silly as it may seem, I'm less concerned about how much I'd likely be making in one over the other (although obviously more $ is better), and more interested in understanding the difference between the two tracks to figure out which one I'd personally have a better chance of success and long-term satisfaction in. I've read that "Enroute is like a chess match, it is more strategic; where as Terminal requires tactical thinking/planning. Both options offer unique challenges."... but I'm having a little difficulty digesting the difference between 'strategic' and 'tactical'.

... that said, I know there's likely no chance of switching over, but it'd still give me peace of mind to try if it'd be worth it, in the end.

Last edited:
Don't give up hope, y'all! My POC informed me just yesterday that "[R]ight now... per guidance of our management are priority is to rate application for the announcement that just closed in January. We are nearing the end of rating, as soon as we finish we should be able to resume filling classes." (grammar/spelling issues verbatim)

Lo and behold: I just got my start date of 6/17/20, Terminal. (Received today!)

Now am intensely going through the forums researching terminal vs. en route experiences. If any of you experienced hands out there could respond or shoot me a DM weighing in on the work feel (for lack of a better term) for your route, I would greatly appreciate it. As silly as it may seem, I'm less concerned about how much I'd likely be making in one over the other (although obviously more $ is better), and more interested in understanding the difference between the two tracks to figure out which one I'd personally have a better chance of success and long-term satisfaction in. I've read that "Enroute is like a chess match, it is more strategic; where as Terminal requires tactical thinking/planning. Both options offer unique challenges."... but I'm having a little difficulty digesting the difference between 'strategic' and 'tactical'.

... that said, I know there's likely no chance of switching over, but it'd still give me peace of mind to try if it'd be worth it, in the end.

Who is your HR POC? (Initials)

Does anyone know how long it took for your medical to come back once the flight surgeon had it? I was told four weeks ago that he had my file and per my HR rep yesterday she is still waiting to get it back.

Have they provided an official reason why the wait is up so high?
No official reason has been given that I've seen.

However, there are countless threads out here detailing how difficult it is for individuals to transfer in and out within the current framework.

Does anyone know how long it took for your medical to come back once the flight surgeon had it? I was told four weeks ago that he had my file and per my HR rep yesterday she is still waiting to get it back.
I finished my CIL 12/16 and didn’t get my final clearance (which was medical) until 2/4. I understand the frustration.

Have they provided an official reason why the wait is up so high?

It's because (to keep it simple) you have to have a minimum number of CPCs at a facility to leave. Because of the long training times and large number of controllers at centers this usually means only a handful of centers are eligible to release people at any given time and it's usually only a couple. Also the staffing number is for the whole center not just your area. You can be in an extremely well staffed area but if the other areas aren't then you're SOL.

Anybody had luck requesting a different class date?
I have. I initially had a 4/14 class date but was able to push it back. I emailed them a copy of my school schedule and graduation trip plans that had already been paid. I have a 7/9 class date after everything was said and done. They will ask for what documents they need to help push your class date.

Anybody had luck requesting a different class date?

Yea I had no issue. Just explained to my POC my situation regarding some family members health and she agreed to push it back a month. I was the one who recommended a month.

Does anyone know how it works or what I should do if I decide to get a new job before the Academy starts? Because it’s looking like I won’t even get a start date until at least July and honestly my part-time job right now is becoming absolutely unbearable due to a manager. So do you think I have to let the security person or the HR person know if I end up doing that?

I asked my HR POC about leaving my current job in April/May even though I have yet to be cleared and still need to finish my CIL (last steps are med exam and drug test both scheduled for next week). I have similar thoughts as you. It's not so much the manager for me, but more so the workload and current field I'm in. This is what I got as a response:

"Unfortunately, there is not an exact timeline that can be provided. It can take anywhere from 2-6 months to receive your Medical clearance, however it could be sooner or later than that timeframe, as well. If you decide to leave your job earlier, you are not penalized for leaving."

My boyfriend had his medical today, and his EKG was abnormal. So now we wait and hope he isn't disqualified :(
Heya. If you already know for sure that it was abnormal, you may want to start looking into finding a cardiologist who could run tests for you to ensure that he doesn't have a condition that could affect his work (that is, if you still want to be in the running for ATC applications). I hadn't even known my EKG was abnormal (apparently it was very subtle with mine) so it came as a surprise when I was emailed to provide further proof that it wouldn't be a problem. They gave me a month to submit everything and it was a scramble finding a doctor who could take me ASAP and run all the tests in time. My insurance also wouldn't cover it, so I ended up calling every cardiologist in the area I could find for quotes. Just a heads up! Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom