Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

W

What was the old per diem rule?

Wasn't it just 40 bucks directly given to our bank account?
You used to get a flat pier diem for housing, regardless of how much your actual housing cost. So if your rent was $800 and your per diem was $1000, you got to pocket an extra 200 bucks.

Now they just pay your housing provider directly

You used to get a flat pier diem for housing, regardless of how much your actual housing cost. So if your rent was $800 and your per diem was $1000, you got to pocket an extra 200 bucks.

Now they just pay your housing provider directly
And I could my housing (Kim’s) with my credit card and get triple hotel points.

Question about leave since I think the reply to my question got deleted: I have 20 hours of sick and 20 hours of annual.

240 hours is the max correct? So that's annual +sick? Or just annual?

And does this mean I actually have in theory 5 days instead of 2.5 days of leave?

What makes leave "sick" vs annual?

Do you need to show a doctor's note or something for sick leave?

Question about leave since I think the reply to my question got deleted: I have 20 hours of sick and 20 hours of annual.

240 hours is the max correct? So that's annual +sick? Or just annual?

And does this mean I actually have in theory 5 days instead of 2.5 days of leave?

What makes leave "sick" vs annual?

Do you need to show a doctor's note or something for sick leave?
The 240 hours max is for annual leave only. Annual leave is generally bid for the following year in Sept/Oct timeframe. You can save some of your annual leave for "spot leave" which are randomly requested days off throughout the year.

Sick leave is just that, to be used when you are sick (or your family is sick, or a mental health day, etc). I believe once your use three or four days in a row they can ask you for a doctor's note but I'm not an expert on sick leave usage. Generally sign leave usage is calling in day of and not approved in advance.

The 240 hours max is for annual leave only. Annual leave is generally bid for the following year in Sept/Oct timeframe. You can save some of your annual leave for "spot leave" which are randomly requested days off throughout the year.

Sick leave is just that, to be used when you are sick (or your family is sick, or a mental health day, etc). I believe once your use three or four days in a row they can ask you for a doctor's note but I'm not an expert on sick leave usage. Generally sign leave usage is calling in day of and not approved in advance.

So in theory:

I can have a massive amount of sick leave if I never call in sick (I don't get sick often, I take like 3 sick days a year).

How have you guys dealt with having max leave during COVID? I assume since everyone is technically "at home" back when there was the nice 5/5 schedule ;) no one is using spot leave, are they?

Can all annual leave become spot leave or is there a limit? I don't really take vacations unless it's for family lol. Is there a limit to conversion?

Just trying to wrap my head around it because it seems like leave is very generous even in your first years, you essentially get 1 day off every pay period in your 1-3 years?

The contract says you can self certify your illness

So in theory:

I can have a massive amount of sick leave if I never call in sick (I don't get sick often, I take like 3 sick days a year).
Yes, there is no limit. At retirement you can redeem it for 40¢ on the dollar, or have it "credit" 1:1 to your years-in-service pension calculation, or donate it to the leave donation program.

How have you guys dealt with having max leave during COVID? I assume since everyone is technically "at home" back when there was the nice 5/5 schedule ;) no one is using spot leave, are they?
The guidance from NATCA has been that if you want to guarantee you won't be recalled, you have to use leave. But yes, there are people who will elect not to take their bid leave and therefore will be over the 240-hour use-or-lose limit. Sucks to be them, but not really... during past shutdowns congress and/or OPM have raised the use-or-lose limit because people can't take leave during a shutdown, but it seems like that won't be happening here.

Can all annual leave become spot leave or is there a limit? I don't really take vacations unless it's for family lol. Is there a limit to conversion?
The limit is staffing at your facility. Prime-time pre-bid leave is sacred and they can't touch it, even if they have to call in overtime or work with fewer bodies than usual. Spot leave can be denied if you don't have the staffing to cover it.

Just trying to wrap my head around it because it seems like leave is very generous even in your first years, you essentially get 1 day off every pay period in your 1-3 years?
Essentially yes... but what happens if you lose your medical and your facility doesn't have admin work for you to do? Or if you break your leg and are bedridden for two weeks? You have to ask around for leave donations or take LWOP. People certainly do burn sick leave as soon as they get it but IMO that's not very smart. I like having a buffer.

Yes, there is no limit. At retirement you can redeem it for 40¢ on the dollar, or have it "credit" 1:1 to your years-in-service pension calculation, or donate it to the leave donation program.
I assume the vast majority people just "credit" it, use it, or donate it? Redeeming it to 40 cents seems... stupid lol

Essentially yes... but what happens if you lose your medical and your facility doesn't have admin work for you to do? Or if you break your leg and are bedridden for two weeks? You have to ask around for leave donations or take LWOP. People certainly do burn sick leave as soon as they get it but IMO that's not very smart. I like having a buffer.
Just wanted to make sure there's no limit to the amount of sick leave you can accumulate- I like having a buffer too, just wanted to make sure so I'm not misinformed about the nature of leave early on and squander it. Thanks for all the detailed answers.

Edit: Is there a black market for leave? Someone's gotta be willing to pay more than 40% of a leave for a day off. Kind of like how senior flight attendants are able to trade the prime-time flights and work WAY less than they're supposed to.

Edit: Is there a black market for leave? Someone's gotta be willing to pay more than 40% of a leave for a day off. Kind of like how senior flight attendants are able to trade the prime-time flights and work WAY less than they're supposed to.
No. To get on the leave donation list you have to have exhausted all of your leave (annual and sick) and have a legit reason for needing more leave. You can't just "sell" it to someone else

Another question: When the FAA buys your plane ticket how much luggage are you allowed to take? Just want to make sure.

Sorry to bother you but I had one more question that I was hoping you could answer- I'm seeing 3-15 years service: 6 hours per pay period. Does this mean that 6 hours of annual, and 6 hours of sick? Or just 6 hours of annual and 4 hours of leave?

So 3-15 years in you get essentially 1.5 days worth of hrs off a pay period?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Another question: When the FAA buys your plane ticket how much luggage are you allowed to take? Just want to make sure.

Sorry to bother you but I had one more question that I was hoping you could answer- I'm seeing 3-15 years service: 6 hours per pay period. Does this mean that 6 hours of annual, and 6 hours of sick? Or just 6 hours of annual and 4 hours of leave?

Thanks!
Only annual, you earn 4 hours of sick leave per period forever. 0-3 years you earn 4 hours of annual, 3-15 years you earn 6 hours, and after that it’s 8 hours until you retire.

Thanks!
I think they pay for 2 bags but there’s nothing stopping you from paying for more

I on-boarded last week and my supervisor today sent an update saying the tentative start date for an en-route virtual basics class is September 3. iPads should be arriving within the month via FedEx

So I got the call offering me a class date on Thursday and accepted. I just got a call today to take a drug test most likely next week. I’m not worried because I have taken no drugs or anything but I was wondering if this was normal? I passed my drug test in February for my medical. I haven’t heard other people mention it so that’s why I ask.

So I got the call offering me a class date on Thursday and accepted. I just got a call today to take a drug test most likely next week. I’m not worried because I have taken no drugs or anything but I was wondering if this was normal? I passed my drug test in February for my medical. I haven’t heard other people mention it so that’s why I ask.

I also had to do it about two weeks ago. My first one was also in January. They told me it was just because it was going to expire.

I also had to do it about two weeks ago. My first one was also in January. They told me it was just because it was going to expire.
Sorry, I actually took it in February so I edited my comment but you responded before I saved it. But your point still stands, thank you for the info!

Back
Top Bottom