Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

It could be worse. I was onboarded in March, and was proceeded to be sit through Zoom classes on repeat everyday Monday thru Friday until July. All the while taking home $270/wk, slowly losing my sanity being told I can't work during the day even though Zoom classes were only 3 hours. You may not be accruing PTO and shit like that, but at least you still have the ability to support yourself while you wait.

There shouldn't be a urge to rush either...say you go to the academy, what do you think will happen next? I graduate in a couple weeks, and when I do....I go back home, sit on my ass and wait for however long it is until my facility calls and says I come in now. Training isn't really a thing yet for us.
I go to OKC in a few weeks and our instructors backed this up. Told a story of some graduates LAST January who went to their facilities, and with govt shutdown and now COVID, have yet to start OJT at all. Really dependent on the facility and how massive the training backlog is unfortunately.

I go to OKC in a few weeks and our instructors backed this up. Told a story of some graduates LAST January who went to their facilities, and with govt shutdown and now COVID, have yet to start OJT at all. Really dependent on the facility and how massive the training backlog is unfortunately.
Training is stopped nationwide so the training backlog at every facility is only growing

It could be worse. I was onboarded in March, and was proceeded to be sit through Zoom classes on repeat everyday Monday thru Friday until July. All the while taking home $270/wk, slowly losing my sanity being told I can't work during the day even though Zoom classes were only 3 hours. You may not be accruing PTO and shit like that, but at least you still have the ability to support yourself while you wait.

There shouldn't be a urge to rush either...say you go to the academy, what do you think will happen next? I graduate in a couple weeks, and when I do....I go back home, sit on my ass and wait for however long it is until my facility calls and says I come in now. Training isn't really a thing yet for us.

Will you at least get paid AG salary as you wait until facility calls to go in?

No training at all since last January? That's...insane.

When you graduate from the academy do you have to report to facility right away? Or like for me I live with my parents right now could I go back home and wait till Im told to report?

When you graduate from the academy do you have to report to facility right away? Or like for me I live with my parents right now could I go back home and wait till Im told to report?
There are no trainees at facilities right now unless you have certs and were recalled to work.

More likely than not you’ll be told to “virtually report” for zoom duty at whatever agreed upon time as if you were to “travel” to the facility. There is enough resources available where(at least for en route) you could easily do your a-side training without ever setting foot in the facility.

That being said, if and when they do recall you and you haven’t moved to the facility yet, you might be in some trouble then....I’d say that’s the biggest issue, is not being near the facility when they do decide to start training. And maybe they give everybody a weeks notice, but the FAA way of doing things would be more like the night before you’ll get a call.

I'm one of those who can live off the $12 an hour, I just really hate my current job.

I emailed my HR rep today for the first time in 2 months to get a grasp for how it’s looking for onboarding this year. My MMPI and security clearance expire in January. She said
“We do not know what will happen after September when we in process our last class for the FY, which is all full. It is still undetermined. I will be in contact as soon as we know something.”

I don’t fully understand what she is saying, but I think it’s somewhere along the lines of - nothing will be offered until after September.

I emailed my HR rep today for the first time in 2 months to get a grasp for how it’s looking for onboarding this year. My MMPI and security clearance expire in January. She said
“We do not know what will happen after September when we in process our last class for the FY, which is all full. It is still undetermined. I will be in contact as soon as we know something.”

I don’t fully understand what she is saying, but I think it’s somewhere along the lines of - nothing will be offered until after September.
She’s saying the fiscal year ends Sep. 30th and everything is up in the air after that point. If the FAA ends up with budget cuts, the Academy (and future classes) are first on the chopping block. All depends on the budget negotiations on whether anything is going to change.

She’s saying the fiscal year ends Sep. 30th and everything is up in the air after that point. If the FAA ends up with budget cuts, the Academy (and future classes) are first on the chopping block. All depends on the budget negotiations on whether anything is going to change.
Would those of us already in virtual basics but with no in person class date scheduled yet be affected, if you know?

Would those of us already in virtual basics but with no in person class date scheduled yet be affected, if you know?
You’re in, when you get your FOL you are hired. I would have killed for an FOL before the end of the fiscal year, and now I would kill for an FOL before the election takes place. My TOL has seen a hiring freeze and government shutdown and now covid, and I can’t imagine what a re election will do to the process.

The contract says that in a potential RIF situation, halting recruitment is the first step, meaning people who have not been onboarded would be the first to feel the effects. If things got worse, it could be reasonably assumed that Academy students would be next, considering they’re already temporary employees, and then trainees already at facilities might face furloughs after that.

You’re in, when you get your FOL you are hired. I would have killed for an FOL before the end of the fiscal year, and now I would kill for an FOL before the election takes place. My TOL has seen a hiring freeze and government shutdown and now covid, and I can’t imagine what a re election will do to the process.
Even an FOL is not 100% guarantee. It is only an offer letter for the job. You are not an employee until you’re officially sworn in. Even then, you’re a temporary employee and not a BUE while at the Academy which is not good if there do end up being budget cuts.

Last edited:

Pump the brakes. I wouldn't count yourself safe until you've done with OKC. Don't put all your eggs in that basket, NATCA barely cares about you until you're CPC, much less a new hire who hasn't passed the academy. You're not in the union until you've passed and started paying dues. The academy is your interview and is part of the hiring process, they can revoke your FOL on a whim.

Pump the brakes. I wouldn't count yourself safe until you've done with OKC. Don't put all your eggs in that basket, NATCA barely cares about you until you're CPC, much less a new hire who hasn't passed the academy. You're not in the union until you've passed and started paying dues. The academy is your interview and is part of the hiring process, they can revoke your FOL on a whim.
I really don’t get why you’re needlessly stoking fears. How many times has a FOL been revoked “on a whim”? Of course there’s always the potential for things to fall apart. But generally speaking a TOL will lead to a FOL, and a FOL will give you a shot at the Academy, passing the Academy will give you a shot at your facility. Most of the people you meet along the way actually want you to suceed, the Faa actually wants you to succeed.

I really don’t get why you’re needlessly stoking fears. How many times has a FOL been revoked “on a whim”? Of course there’s always the potential for things to fall apart. But generally speaking a TOL will lead to a FOL, and a FOL will give you a shot at the Academy, passing the Academy will give you a shot at your facility. Most of the people you meet along the way actually want you to suceed, the Faa actually wants you to succeed.

Unprecedented times. Don't fall into the trap that nothing can touch you because you got an offer letter for a job. If you have something good come your way and your turn it down because you're holding out hope for ATC....I think we're at the point where that is an irresponsible reaction.

Back
Top Bottom