Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

Unprecedented times. Don't fall into the trap that nothing can touch you because you got an offer letter for a job. If you have something good come your way and your turn it down because you're holding out hope for ATC....I think we're at the point where that is an irresponsible reaction.
Exactly right. Yes it’s been rare for FOLs to be withdrawn in the past, but if there end up being budget cuts come FY21, offer letters being revoked with absolutely be one of the first things to happen. That’s not to scare anybody, but people need to be aware of what could happen. Hopefully it doesn’t but nobody knows.

The contract says that in a potential RIF situation, halting recruitment is the first step, meaning people who have not been onboarded would be the first to feel the effects. If things got worse, it could be reasonably assumed that Academy students would be next, considering they’re already temporary employees, and then trainees already at facilities might face furloughs after that.

What about the people from the most recent bid that just got their ATSA results? Would they not be first?

What about the people from the most recent bid that just got their ATSA results? Would they not be first?
Until you’re onboarded, you’re just an applicant, regardless of where you are in the hiring process. The first money saving move they would make would likely be to suspend scheduling any new classes, and tell everyone who had not yet been onboarded that their process is either on hold, or terminated.

Exactly right. Yes it’s been rare for FOLs to be withdrawn in the past, but if there end up being budget cuts come FY21, offer letters being revoked with absolutely be one of the first things to happen. That’s not to scare anybody, but people need to be aware of what could happen. Hopefully it doesn’t but nobody knows.
I don’t think there will be budget cuts. I know the presidents budget request for the FAA came out before the pandemic, but it still requested a slight increase for the faa. I don’t think the presidents budget request is anything to dig deeply into, but even the house just passed a bunch of spending bills a couple weeks ago during the pandemic. For the FAA, they approved an $18.1B budget in fy21, an increase from $17.6B in fy20. Yes, I get that nothing has been voted on yet and we are still in a pandemic, but congress can see the importance of the FAA and that the pandemic is only temporary.

I don’t think there will be budget cuts. I know the presidents budget request for the FAA came out before the pandemic, but it still requested a slight increase for the faa. I don’t think the presidents budget request is anything to dig deeply into, but even the house just passed a bunch of spending bills a couple weeks ago during the pandemic. For the FAA, they approved an $18.1B budget in fy21, an increase from $17.6B in fy20. Yes, I get that nothing has been voted on yet and we are still in a pandemic, but congress can see the importance of the FAA and that the pandemic is only temporary.

There aren’t going to be any cuts during a pandemic before an election. Now if you guys vote for trump god help us all

When has a Republican ever helped a federal employee. Or any union employee.
When has the Union ever cared about all their members equally (ie non senior members). ATCs work routine hasn't been marginally altered based on who's in the oval, except for Ronny but they had that coming. And sequestration was under Obama so it just doesn't really matter that much. There is so much more to living than purely raw dollars on pay day. But just so we're clear, I do not support privatization.

Can anyone explain the social security aspect of retirement? If you work 30+ years you don’t get it until 62 With not cost of living adjustment but if you work the 20-25 range you get it right on retirement on top of Cost Of Living Adjustment pay? I know it all depends but is it possible to see or calculate how much those payments could be? I was reading the FAQ about it on here but I’m trying to understand it more.

And I’m sorry if these are dumb questions, I am quite the novice about these subjects.

Can anyone explain the social security aspect of retirement?

I think you're confusing a couple of things. I attended the NATCA-sponsored retirement seminar a couple months ago and here's what the guy said:

PENSION
  • "Normal" retirement (actually a special provision for ATC) is 1.7% x 20 years plus 1% x every year over 20. Cost Of Living Adjustment occurs every year starting as soon as you retire.
  • "MRA+30" retirement is 1.7% x 30 years. The catch is that MRA is 57, even if you already have 30+ years of service, so you either need an age waiver or find another non-ATC job for a year (you'll get 1% x that additional year added to your 1.7% x ATC years). In this option the COLA doesn't start until you reach age 62.
SOCIAL SECURITY
  • With both pension options, you get a Social Security supplement until you reach age 62. If you don't have military time the supplement is (years of service)/40 x (age 62 SSI estimate), if you do have military time it's counted differently—I think mil time isn't factored in but I wasn't paying attention much to that part of it.
  • You're eligible for Social Security starting at age 62 but you can delay your benefits until age 70 if you like. Each year you delay your benefit it goes up by a percentage. There's no market risk—the risk is "will I live long enough to break even with the higher benefit." They have actuarial tables and such to help you figure out what's best for you.

Can anyone explain the social security aspect of retirement? If you work 30+ years you don’t get it until 62 With not cost of living adjustment but if you work the 20-25 range you get it right on retirement on top of Cost Of Living Adjustment pay? I know it all depends but is it possible to see or calculate how much those payments could be? I was reading the FAQ about it on here but I’m trying to understand it more.

And I’m sorry if these are dumb questions, I am quite the novice about these subjects.
There is a supplement since we retire early. But get to the academy first and pass before worrying about that. Then when they have a retirement session, go to it and they will explain everything.

I think you're confusing a couple of things. I attended the NATCA-sponsored retirement seminar a couple months ago and here's what the guy said:

PENSION
  • "Normal" retirement (actually a special provision for ATC) is 1.7% x 20 years plus 1% x every year over 20. Cost Of Living Adjustment occurs every year starting as soon as you retire.
  • "MRA+30" retirement is 1.7% x 30 years. The catch is that MRA is 57, even if you already have 30+ years of service, so you either need an age waiver or find another non-ATC job for a year (you'll get 1% x that additional year added to your 1.7% x ATC years). In this option the COLA doesn't start until you reach age 62.
SOCIAL SECURITY
  • With both pension options, you get a Social Security supplement until you reach age 62. If you don't have military time the supplement is (years of service)/40 x (age 62 SSI estimate), if you do have military time it's counted differently—I think mil time isn't factored in but I wasn't paying attention much to that part of it.
  • You're eligible for Social Security starting at age 62 but you can delay your benefits until age 70 if you like. Each year you delay your benefit it goes up by a percentage. There's no market risk—the risk is "will I live long enough to break even with the higher benefit." They have actuarial tables and such to help you figure out what's best for you.
Thank you for all this information. I really appreciate it! I see you gave an equation to determine the supplement amount. What does the “age 62 SSI estimate” mean? And is this supplement payment given out per month until age 62?

Also do you have an example of what the Cost Of Living Adjustment may look like?

Un
When has a Republican ever helped a federal employee. Or any union employee.
while unions have their place, they reward seniority over hard work and initiative, hold productive workers back, and protect unproductive workers.

Thank you for all this information. I really appreciate it! I see you gave an equation to determine the supplement amount. What does the “age 62 SSI estimate” mean? And is this supplement payment given out per month until age 62?
What your Social Security benefit would be if, when you retire, you don't work anymore until age 62 and then start taking Social Security. I think.
Likely not accurate at all though, because you haven't been working for twenty years. You could play around with this one:
I would imagine the supplement is monthly.

Also do you have an example of what the Cost Of Living Adjustment may look like?

Back
Top Bottom