Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

On a different note . . . just got back from taking the ATSA for the second time. Last year I fell in the "best-qualified" group and of course did not get a TOL. I feel better about the test this time but it is hard to be confident I did better due to the nature of the test. Hoping it works out this time with a better score on the ATSA and if they look at experience . . . the experience I have in aviation (now I have a FAA certificate and work for an airline). Best of luck to all and if it doesn't work our this year I'll be back for the next one.

You sound so bratty ?

For real... if CTI was a guaranteed job with the FAA, more candidates would take advantage of that track, but all it gives you is Pool 1 preference. The FAA doesn't care about what you do to become eligible, the ATSA is the tell all. You'd think this kid would want to take it just for the experience and possibility of saving money by getting an offer right away but to each their own.

Hey fellas, I have just begun looking into a career in ATC. Unfortunately I am nearing that age where I cannot get hired anymore. Seems like I missed this last bid. Reading these posts, I know many of you have been through this cycle multiple times. I am wondering if another bid might open up this year or I will need to wait another year to apply? I am what you may call an "off the street" applicant and do not have any previous ATC experience. Any advice will be appreciated!

Hey fellas, I have just begun looking into a career in ATC. Unfortunately I am nearing that age where I cannot get hired anymore. Seems like I missed this last bid. Reading these posts, I know many of you have been through this cycle multiple times. I am wondering if another bid might open up this year or I will need to wait another year to apply? I am what you may call an "off the street" applicant and do not have any previous ATC experience. Any advice will be appreciated!
The last two bids have opened in July 2018 and June 2019. There also seems to always be rumors of a January bid that never seems to materialize. I'd suggest keeping an eye on these forums from Jan-July 2020. There's a good chance the next OTS bid will open sometime in that 7 month span. :lol:

Just to let you guys know I called HR yesterday to see why I didn't get an email. She said I should have gotten it but since I didn't, I needed to email them. So I emailed them and they gave me PSI testings number to call and schedule to set up a time to take the test. So I called PSI and sat on the phone for a ridiculous amount of time before I finally hung up. Decided to just log back in to my old PSI account. From there I saw that they already had my info and I just needed to schedule a time.

Just to let you guys know I called HR yesterday to see why I didn't get an email. She said I should have gotten it but since I didn't, I needed to email them. So I emailed them and they gave me PSI testings number to call and schedule to set up a time to take the test. So I called PSI and sat on the phone for a ridiculous amount of time before I finally hung up. Decided to just log back in to my old PSI account. From there I saw that they already had my info and I just needed to schedule a time.

What number did you call?

What’s the website for PSI?

Dude, YOU have never been to the academy!

“Stress” of basics?! Risk?! Lol if they aren’t confident in their knowledge as a CTI grad to SKIP basics then they shouldn’t go to the academy....

How do you know you love air traffic? I can understand loving aviation but you’ve never done the job so how would you know you LOVE it? Sounds to me most of your insight to the FAA came from your dad who passed the academy and washed out of his first facility...

It’s obvious you’re using flawed logic with this process. You’re saying you’re “glad” you didn’t get the opportunity to take the ATSA last OTS bid and would rather incur debt by going to CTI school to better your chances at a job you can not only get NOT picked to continue the hiring process but also not graduate the academy or (just like your dad) wash out of your first facility!

Holy shit I never rant but I feel like I’m doing you (and anyone else considering CTI reading this) a favor by hitting you with a reality check. Just like ANY degree DO NOT assume by graduating with one you will get a job in the career field for it.

So not to take a step back or anything, but just because he chose the CTI route doesn't make you the better guy in this scenario. I totally understand where you're coming from, but come on man. Everyone on this forum is here because they all want the same thing: to become a controller (if they aren't already). I'm a CTI student and I know this isn't a guaranteed route, but nothing in life is guaranteed. If you put the time and effort in, it'll pay off. I want this job just as much as the next person does and I couldn't see myself going to school for any other field. But with that being said, I do have other plans if ATC doesn't fall through.

AND if you are a CTI student/grad, it is recommended you take basics even though you have the option to skip. If you're worried about stress and failing basics then you've got bigger problems ahead of you. The CTI route does prepare you for basics but if you skip it, you'll be a month behind in seniority compared to all your classmates and while everyone has talked and made relationships, you'll be the odd man out.

One last thing: don't be glad that you didn't get the opportunity to take the ATSA. Every chance matters. If you get the job the first time around then that's great! You wouldn't have to spend any more time and money towards school and just head right on to the acadamy (that's if you pass medical). That's the way I look at it. Taking the ATSA as many times as you can may benefit you. The more times you take it, the more comfortable you get and you've already seen the problems so you know what to expect.

Just got completely screwed over during the second portion of the exam. Went through the deductive reasoning problems then apparently there was a scheduled maintenance on the website that I guess no one on the staff knew about (the main proctor came back to me 3 times trying different things before he called in another supervisor who decided to call the Tech team). Tech informs him the maintenance isn't over until 5 PM so he calls his supervisor to see what she can do.

His supervisor tells me I have to reschedule. I'm irritated since I drove all the way here for nothing, but it's not like I have a choice. I ask her if she has any weekend openings. Nope. Great. It's 100% their fault on even leaving this time slot open when there's apparently a maintenance scheduled, but I guess they can't extend a time slot for me.

Since I need to figure out my schedule (because you know, informing others when something will impact them negatively is just the courteous thing to do...), I specifically ask both the direct supervisor and his supervisor if I can just schedule it on the website at a later time like I did initially when I got the original email. She tells me yes. Now, I'm sitting at home and the only email I've gotten is that my test was canceled and that I need to contact the Customer Service Department. No confirmation email with a link to take you to open spots like before.

On the plus side, at least I get to practice more once I do figure this out, right? Nope. He specifically said everything else was locked in so there goes everything that I might have been able to improve on (e.g. spatial relationship, ATC simulation, deductive reasoning). Of course, that's assuming he's even correct about that. Also, I still need to somehow schedule another test date when apparently my test is canceled.

Time to call Customer Service...

Site crashed for me as well after the logic reasoning part. Apparently some people who got to the second part before me were able to proceed before the"nationwide" crash. I felt I did extremely well on the test too. I know for a fact I got the algebra questions 100% correct. The first numbers game screwed with me. I feel like it was 10x harder than the ATCprep. Now I'm pissed and I feel like I wont be able to schedule the second part again.

Site crashed for me as well after the logic reasoning part. Apparently some people who got to the second part before me were able to proceed before the"nationwide" crash. I felt I did extremely well on the test too. I know for a fact I got the algebra questions 100% correct. The first numbers game screwed with me. I feel like it was 10x harder than the ATCprep. Now I'm pissed and I feel like I wont be able to schedule the second part again.

I don't think it was a crash. I don't know if you managed to get on the site or not but the warning message actually states it was a scheduled maintenance. Man, I can't help but think I would have been able to clear it if I just went through it instead of overly taking my time with everything.

I would say the biggest difference for me was the spatial relationships since I wasn't expecting them to mix the eyeball in (ATCprep separates the parts completely). Took me like 4 tries doing the practice before I was comfortable.

Also, I called the PSI Exam customer service and they told me that the supervisor was misinformed and that what I actually have to do is call the FAA to reschedule. I guess I'll have to call during my lunch considering they're only open M-F...Really wish they would at least accommodate by giving us extra spots rather than whatever is remaining (assuming there will even be spots left by the time we get this resolved).

I remember similar things happening to people in the last bid too. Really sucks, PSI really needs to get their shit together.

I don't think it was a crash. I don't know if you managed to get on the site or not but the warning message actually states it was a scheduled maintenance. Man, I can't help but think I would have been able to clear it if I just went through it instead of overly taking my time with everything.

I would say the biggest difference for me was the spatial relationships since I wasn't expecting them to mix the eyeball in (ATCprep separates the parts completely). Took me like 4 tries doing the practice before I was comfortable.

Also, I called the PSI Exam customer service and they told me that the supervisor was misinformed and that what I actually have to do is call the FAA to reschedule. I guess I'll have to call during my lunch considering they're only open M-F...Really wish they would at least accommodate by giving us extra spots rather than whatever is remaining (assuming there will even be spots left by the time we get this resolved).

I just called PSI and was told they would contact us to reschedule, but I guess it would be better to call FAA and do it ASAP.

To me, the eyeball was easier on the test because it was much easier to determine which side the red plane was on. The eyeball mixed in there was definitely a bit confusing, but overall I thought I did well.

And the logical reasoning wasn't too bad aside from like two questions that was like impssible without pen and paper. Most was just looking at a chart and process of elimination. I also spent a ton of time practicing. Also definitely removed too many balls multiple times on the radar test. It just gets so overwhelming, I start removing every ball I see and still end up with some collided.

Back
Top Bottom