Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

no. no one is bargaining unit until leaving the academy
Yes I understand that. But if you decide to skip basics, pass the academy, and go to the same facility with one or two of your classmates, you will be a month behind in seniority at your facility compared to the other one or two classmates that you attended the academy with. If I'm wrong about seniority starting as soon as you start the academy then let me know but it's just what I've heard from other controllers. And I get that the chance of this happening through terminal is highly unlikely but it can happen with en route if the same facility is listed multiple times.

Yes I understand that. But if you decide to skip basics, pass the academy, and go to the same facility with one or two of your classmates, you will be a month behind in seniority at your facility compared to the other one or two classmates that you attended the academy with. If I'm wrong about seniority starting as soon as you start the academy then let me know but it's just what I've heard from other controllers. And I get that the chance of this happening through terminal is highly unlikely but it can happen with en route if the same facility is listed multiple times.
You don't understand because you just said the same thing that I told you is incorrect. You're not a BUE at the academy, and don't have the rights or privileges of being one.

You don't understand because you just said the same thing that I told you is incorrect. You're not a BUE at the academy, and don't have the rights or privileges of being one.
Is the person who skipped basics FAA date the start of basics or when they joined the class? You're right that you are not a BUE at the academy but I imagine we are talking tiebreakers here.

Is the person who skipped basics FAA date the start of basics or when they joined the class? You're right that you are not a BUE at the academy but I imagine we are talking tiebreakers here.
SCD would be any time employed by a federal agency

I just called PSI and was told they would contact us to reschedule, but I guess it would be better to call FAA and do it ASAP.

To me, the eyeball was easier on the test because it was much easier to determine which side the red plane was on. The eyeball mixed in there was definitely a bit confusing, but overall I thought I did well.

And the logical reasoning wasn't too bad aside from like two questions that was like impssible without pen and paper. Most was just looking at a chart and process of elimination. I also spent a ton of time practicing. Also definitely removed too many balls multiple times on the radar test. It just gets so overwhelming, I start removing every ball I see and still end up with some collided.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Last year, the PSI website screwed me over and froze on me the entire time so I had to reschedule. I took the first portion a total of 4 times before they finally said to reschedule. Called and rescheduled and worked fine the second time. Honestly I think I did worse last year than I did the year before that but I got well qualified without any atsaprep practice, not sure what i got the first year. I'll probably do some prep before my test next week just to try to get some extra points. Which reminds me, the bright side for you is that you get to prep some more and now you know what's on the test!

Seems like they really screwed over salt lake city this year. The closest testing center is in Boise, Idaho. boo.

edit: kinda odd that they said they would contact you to reschedule. I remember when I called, they told me they would just send me another email to schedule another time for the test.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Last year, the PSI website screwed me over and froze on me the entire time so I had to reschedule. I took the first portion a total of 4 times before they finally said to reschedule. Called and rescheduled and worked fine the second time. Honestly I think I did worse last year than I did the year before that but I got well qualified without any atsaprep practice, not sure what i got the first year. I'll probably do some prep before my test next week just to try to get some extra points. Which reminds me, the bright side for you is that you get to prep some more and now you know what's on the test!

Seems like they really screwed over salt lake city this year. The closest testing center is in Boise, Idaho. boo.

edit: kinda odd that they said they would contact you to reschedule. I remember when I called, they told me they would just send me another email to schedule another time for the test.
So do you think that the whole test has to be rescheduled or is it just the second part since it’s two separate programs, maybe the first part of the test is saved. If not then yeah, I would love a redo on the radar lol.

So do you think that the whole test has to be rescheduled or is it just the second part since it’s two separate programs, maybe the first part of the test is saved. If not then yeah, I would love a redo on the radar lol.

Unfortunately, they said they had no way to save the first portion of the test and I had to redo the entire thing or in your case, fortunately!

First tiebreaker after NATCA time is FAA start date, not SCD. So you're right that IF you get the same facility as one of your classmates and IF you get assigned to the same area (assuming Enroute), then yes the CTI person will be behind by about a month. There are some good reasons not to skip Basics if you aren't required to take it, but doing it just for the potential seniority gain isn't really worth it.

Last edited:
First tiebreaker after NATCA time is FAA start date, not SCD. So you're right that IF you get the same facility as one of your classmates and IF you get assigned to the same area (assuming Enroute), then yes the CTI person will be behind by about a month. There are some good reasons not to skip Basics if you aren't required to take it, but doing it just for the potential seniority gain isn't really worth it.

I'm just about to finish up basics and I'll tell you I'm very glad that I did not skip. I'm a Commercial/Instrument Pilot, CTI Grad, and worked as an RPO at a few different ARTCCs. If you think you know everything, I'll tell you now, you don't. Yea, you'll probably know a lot going into Basics, but you won't know everything. The time studying with your class is invaluable. Getting used to the Academy before shit hits the fan is invaluable. Being able to see how you react to the tests is invaluable. And when all else fails, its a RELATIVELY easy month against your probation.

Go to Basics.

I thought that too, but there's a few times for the North Salt Lake testing center now. None were available in Salt Lake when I got the invitation email, so if anyone scheduled the test in Boise at first like I did...you can probably reschedule in Salt Lake now and save yourself the long drive. Now I'm just worried about something happening to my test and not having time to reschedule it...first timer testing on 10/7 :/

Been sleeping on this forum because nothing was happening for so long only to see emails have apparently been sent out already. Any reason I wouldn't receive an email if I am qualifying based on education and I have in fact completed my degree. I included a transcript with all the info they request so I'm not sure why I haven't gotten an ATSA invite.

Been sleeping on this forum because nothing was happening for so long only to see emails have apparently been sent out already. Any reason I wouldn't receive an email if I am qualifying based on education and I have in fact completed my degree. I included a transcript with all the info they request so I'm not sure why I haven't gotten an ATSA invite.
I know they're sending (have sent?) emails out in waves, just because you missed this wave doesn't mean you won't be in the next. Hope you get that email!

I thought that too, but there's a few times for the North Salt Lake testing center now. None were available in Salt Lake when I got the invitation email, so if anyone scheduled the test in Boise at first like I did...you can probably reschedule in Salt Lake now and save yourself the long drive. Now I'm just worried about something happening to my test and not having time to reschedule it...first timer testing on 10/7 :/

Well then, you just saved me a 4 hour drive. Rescheduled to the only latest date available which is the 1st. Thanks, really appreciate it! Hope they don't do unscheduled maintenance during your test, lol.

I know they're sending (have sent?) emails out in waves, just because you missed this wave doesn't mean you won't be in the next. Hope you get that email!
With only a three week testing period I doubt they're sending out emails in waves... The testing period is already 1/3 complete. Call HR and ask. Perhaps you incorrectly filled out the application

With only a three week testing period I doubt they're sending out emails in waves... The testing period is already 1/3 complete. Call HR and ask. Perhaps you incorrectly filled out the application
People keep say "call HR"in various posts I see, is that just the phone number on the bottom of the USA jobs posting?

Due to limited testing date windows, I doubt anymore emails are going out, I'm in chicago and the last test date is the the 7th and I'm pretty sure other places are similar.

Call HR, you probably made a mistake and didnt include something they wanted

Also, due to limited test dates, does that mean not that many people applied for this bid? I feel like it's been so quiet this year compared to 2017 and 2018

Is it unlikely that the FAA is notifying people in blocks? Maybe the test window is so short because they are inviting smaller groups for shorter windows of test dates and then lining up the next group for a testing window of 10/10 - 11/??.

That was my thought when I saw the absurdly (imo) short testing window. I was on top of scheduling immediately, and I couldn't even fit it in until the last date available because of work travel commitments and the whole "2 week notice for time off" thing most everyone else deals with...though I suppose you could always fake sick on the day you need to :p.

Due to limited testing date windows, I doubt anymore emails are going out, I'm in chicago and the last test date is the the 7th and I'm pretty sure other places are similar.

Call HR, you probably made a mistake and didnt include something they wanted

Also, due to limited test dates, does that mean not that many people applied for this bid? I feel like it's been so quiet this year compared to 2017 and 2018

ANADucks98 on reddit said, "..there were 9,265 applicants this year, up from last year's 8,500." Not sure how accurate this is but another user said the same thing so perhaps it's true?

Honestly if it is true, I really hope the large majority of applicants are in pool 1.

Last edited:
Interesting, the reddit thread I found all this information on and that got me interested said
UPDATE September 10
CHECK YOUR EMAIL! The first wave of AT-SA invites have been unleashed. Don’t be discouraged if you haven’t received yours yet; they will go out in waves.

Figured that was the case, I received my information in the first wave and took my test on the 17th though. I just can't think of a reason the person my original reply was to wouldn't get a test invite.

Back
Top Bottom