Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

The wait is killing me

As someone who has waited MONTHS during various phases of the application process for a yes/no on other federal jobs that involve security clearances, has been waiting months for her flight medical for her PPL (I have a complex medical history, so I had to do a CogScreen to prove to the FAA I'm fit to act as PIC), and is now waiting on AT-SA results from this hiring bid (which may be kaputz anyway if the FAA Second/Third class medical I'm fighting for now doesn't go through).

So yeah, calm down ;).

As someone who has waited MONTHS during various phases of the application process for a yes/no on other federal jobs that involve security clearances, has been waiting months for her flight medical for her PPL (I have a complex medical history, so I had to do a CogScreen to prove to the FAA I'm fit to act as PIC), and is now waiting on AT-SA results from this hiring bid (which may be kaputz anyway if the FAA Second/Third class medical I'm fighting for now doesn't go through).

Hopefully it all works out for you. I waited four years for the job I have now (state, not federal) from the time I took the test to the day I started the academy, so it cracks me up to see people worrying about having to wait a few months.

View attachment 3059

So yeah, calm down ;).
How was the cogscreen in comparison to the ATSA (difficulty? How you feel you did?)? Asking for a friend...

ya'll snippy. Can't wait to act like a community again once the TOL's go out ?

Anyway, if the timeline is following last year, we should get our statuses updated to Referred/Non-referred in 3 weeks.

Last edited:
How was the cogscreen in comparison to the ATSA (difficulty? How you feel you did?)? Asking for a friend...

I like to half-joke that the CogScreen and all the other related neuropsych testing was prep for the AT-SA. To be honest, it kinda actually was, and I did fine on it, my results were on par with Regional pilots. As for the AT-SA, I prepped with ATCprep, and I feel I did ok, but we'll see. I don't know who I'm really competing with and the results need to be taken relative to the testing population in my pool (the less preferred pool 2 as I'm not former military or CTI, but just an IT and Computer Networking pro/engineer who likes aviation and is looking for a change of career).

Anyway:

A: The PASAT was basically the number differences test, except auditory instead of visual and with addition. I feel like I did better on that than the visual version to be honest. Maybe they should be adding auditory tests to the AT-SA like that. As an ATCS, you're listening to pilots on the radio ALL THE TIME if I'm not mistaken, so you need to have good short term auditory memory. It's not like the job is captioned!

B: The multitasking tasks (done via computer/CogScreen portion) were easier than the AT-SA collision scenarios with math, but still good multitasking practice.

C: The mannequin test (with flag on Cogscreen), is easier than the AT-SA Airplane left/right game.

D: They test you really in-depth on your short term memory in various tasks (CogScreen and some of the other testing off computer). Those challenges are far harder than the AT-SA. The examiner even had me order a span of digits in ascending order, without pencil/paper, after hearing them verbally. I mean like 7-10 digits in a row!

E: I did it all in one day, it was alot more testing than the AT-SA and more grueling.

F: With my WAIS-IV result, I am eligible for Mensa. ^_^

G: The MMPI-2 is a silly test. I don't feel like going over my results but suffice to say, depending on what the FAA cares about and if they still use MMPIs (no idea if they do), I may or may not be a "tier 2" person. MMPI-2 is also a much longer "personality test" than the one on the AT-SA.

Last edited:
I like to half-joke that the CogScreen and all the other related neuropsych testing was prep for the AT-SA. To be honest, it kinda actually was, and I did fine on it, my results were on par with Regional pilots. As for the AT-SA, I prepped with ATCprep, and I feel I did ok, but we'll see. I don't know who I'm really competing with and the results need to be taken relative to the testing population in my pool (the less preferred pool 2 as I'm not former military or CTI, but just an IT and Computer Networking pro/engineer who likes aviation and is looking for a change of career).

Anyway:

A: The PASAT was basically the number differences test, except auditory instead of visual and with addition. I feel like I did better on that than the visual version to be honest. Maybe they should be adding auditory tests to the AT-SA like that. As an ATCS, you're listening to pilots on the radio ALL THE TIME if I'm not mistaken, so you need to have good short term auditory memory. It's not like the job is captioned!

B: The multitasking tasks (done via computer/CogScreen portion) were easier than the AT-SA collision scenarios with math, but still good multitasking practice.

C: The mannequin test (with flag on Cogscreen), is easier than the AT-SA Airplane left/right game.

D: They test you really in-depth on your short term memory in various tasks (CogScreen and some of the other testing off computer). Those challenges are far harder than the AT-SA. The examiner even had me order a span of digits in ascending order, without pencil/paper, after hearing them verbally. I mean like 7-10 digits in a row!

E: I did it all in one day, it was alot more testing than the AT-SA and more grueling.

F: With my WAIS-IV result, I am eligible for Mensa. ^_^

G: The MMPI-IV is a silly test. I don't feel like going over my results but suffice to say, depending on what the FAA cares about and if they still use MMPIs (no idea if they do), I may or may not be a "tier 2" person. MMPI-IV is also a much longer "personality test" than the one on the AT-SA.
Thank you for this. Hoping everything goes perfect for you. If I get a TOL, I'm pretty sure I will get flagged for my psych history and will be told to take that Cogscreen.

Edit: You were eligible for Mensa?!

Last edited:
Thank you for this. Hoping everything goes perfect for you. If I get a TOL, I'm pretty sure I will get flagged for my psych history and will be told to take that Cogscreen.

Edit: You were eligible for Mensa?!

Thanks, I hope so too. I actually contacted one of my congressmen as the medical has been taking so long for the FAA to review, also I hope my AT-SA score is qualifying, but so does everyone else here.

But anyway, yep, the WAIS-IV (Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale V4) is an IQ test that includes an Full Scale IQ score. If you score above 130, you're eligible for Mensa, lol.
Qualifying test scores

Also, the full neuropsych battery's testing requirements are on the FAA's site. It's more than just the Cogscreen if you need the full battery (which depends on why you're being deferred by the FAA). The below is taken from the site.
  • CogScreen-Aeromedical Edition (CogScreen-AE)
  • The complete Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scales (Processing Speed and Working Memory Indexes must be scored)
  • Trail Making Test, Parts A and B (Reitan Trails A & B should be used since aviation norms are available for the original Reitan Trails A & B, but not for similar tests [e.g., Color Trails; Trails from Kaplan-Delis Executive Function, etc.])
  • Executive function tests to include:
    1. Category Test or Wisconsin Card Sorting Test, and
    2. Stroop Color-Word Test
  • Paced Auditory Serial Addition Test (PASAT).
  • A continuous performance test (i.e., Test of Variables of Attention [TOVA], or Conners' Continuous Performance Test [CPT-II], or Integrated Visual and Auditory Continuous Performance Test [IVA+]), or Gordon Diagnostic System [GDS].
  • Test of verbal memory (WMS-IV subtests, Rey Auditory Verbal Learning Test, or California Verbal Learning Test-II)
  • Test of visual memory (WMS-IV subtests, Brief Visuospatial Memory Test-Revised, or Rey Complex Figure Test)
  • Tests of Language including Boston Naming Test and Verbal Fluency (COWAT and a semantic fluency task)
  • Psychomotor testing including Finger Tapping and Grooved Pegboard or Purdue Pegboard
  • Personality testing, to include the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI-2). (The MMPI-2-RF is not an approved substitute. All scales, subscales, content, and supplementary scales must be scored and provided. Computer scoring is required. Abbreviated administrations are not acceptable.)

Did anyone get an email after the test that said something along the lines of "Test Accepted" or something similar?
I heard someone received an email after their test that was like this, I haven't received anything and am curious if anyone else has

Did anyone get an email after the test that said something along the lines of "Test Accepted" or something similar?
I heard someone received an email after their test that was like this, I haven't received anything and am curious if anyone else has

I don’t believe an automated email or anything went out but I logged into PSI after completing my test and it said test completed or something like that as soon as I logged in.

When I log in to PSI, my status says "Schedule Completed" next to the test. Never received an email.

Back
Top Bottom