Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

that's not the point. anyone that's been exposed to a negative and toxic work environment - like me - knows how stressed and unproductive and sometimes even dangerous the outcome can be. In the case of this happening at FAA facilities, nobody in their right mind wants to work in that type of environment. If you haven't been exposed to it, that's great I hope you never do. You gotta have EQ to deal with negative people
Couldn't have said it any better. I dealt with my fair share of toxic people at my first facility. No one wants to work alongside a shitty assist, ground controller etc and I wish no one ever has to. Thankfully, I had some great leadership as well. A lot of controllers from my experience are hard headed and strong willed, so we're all in for a ride. I'm just saying one person can ruin your entire experience at a facility. Just my $0.02.

Well now I'm wondering how much the personality test weighs in lol
I feel like I did about the same on every section of the test except the orientation section. Feel like I did a lot better on that section this time around. Last year I was well-qualified. This time best-qualified and referred.

Sorry to be that guy but I couldn't find an answer: What's a rough estimate of the earliest they could have a potential hire from this bid in training? If we do get a TOL it sounds like we could be in for a long wait even if we pass all the medical/security stuff, but is there any guess as to how soon we would have to go to OKC?
Last bid some people were at the academy nine months after they applied, and that's including the shutdown. But some people are still waiting on their clearances/Tier 2 from the 2016 bid. It's a huge range. That said, I think last year's bid picked up very few people, which means there were fewer bottlenecks. From what I understand classes at the academy are sparse in both bodies and start dates at the moment, so they're probably pretty motivated to get people through the process.

Well now I'm wondering how much the personality test weighs in lol
I thought I read somewhere (maybe the FAQ on this site?) that the personality portion of the ATSA is just for their own research and it isn't actually scored (as opposed to the bio-Q they used to have when you first applied). I didn't put a huge amount of thought into it personally. I could be totally wrong though, no one actually knows how they come up with the score.

Just to add more data...first time, Pool 2, Best Qualified, referred. I was also one of those people that had to take the test again due to a website malfunction if that helps anyone.

Last bid some people were at the academy nine months after they applied, and that's including the shutdown. But some people are still waiting on their clearances/Tier 2 from the 2016 bid. It's a huge range. That said, I think last year's bid picked up very few people, which means there were fewer bottlenecks. From what I understand classes at the academy are sparse in both bodies and start dates at the moment, so they're probably pretty motivated to get people through the process.

I thought I read somewhere (maybe the FAQ on this site?) that the personality portion of the ATSA is just for their own research and it isn't actually scored (as opposed to the bio-Q they used to have when you first applied). I didn't put a huge amount of thought into it personally. I could be totally wrong though, no one actually knows how they come up with the score.
I doubt it is only used for research purposes, it's pretty much their way of having their BioQ in ever since Congress had them remove it from their application

If you dont answer that personality to their standards, your score is probs gonna be shafted

I called and spoke with HR because I was curious why I wasn’t referred long story short another bid will be out in January hopefully keep your eyes open and the best of luck to the referred and future candidates

I’m interested to see stats on how many applicants we had as a whole, how many were selected to test, a breakdown of rankings, etc. as a P1Q, I doubt I’ll get an offer but I’ll check my email daily regardless ?

I'm curious if they look for a specific personality or a combination of different personalities.

How do you think you did on the collision portion?
For the non-math part, i probably had 5 or 6 collisions. Math part, I had 3 collisions tops (maybe even 2) all while answering at least 80% of the math problems. I for sure got 100% on the systems of equations, missed 2 or 3 differences, and missed two spatial reasonings. Glad to hear another bid is coming out soon.

Just curious...what kinds of questions are people asking HR now that we all know how we scored? It doesnt seem like they can give out any more info other than saying next bid out soon.

Hear me out, this is just me rambling in all of its entirety. Will not do a TL;DR. I apologize and thank you all. I am a male and in my mid-twenties if that provides any additional insight.

Also, how does the order of how qualified an individual is go? Is it Qualified, Well Qualified, Best Qualified to how qualified someone is from "good" to "goodest"?

I took the ATSA for the first time in the first week or so of October, and got Best Qualified - Referred as a Pool 2 applicant. It was just me and one other that registered and showed up for the test at the PSI facility despite being located in a major city in the South. As of right now, I'm pretty excited, but also somewhat anxious and nervous at the same time because I have no idea how the selection process is for the TOL, but I have my fingers crossed. I appreciate both the realists and optimists, as well as everyone else in this thread sharing their opinions and point of views. Thank you all.

As for how I did and what I did on the ATSA, I feel I did extremely well on the first part with the math section where you had to find the differences and find the appropriate number for the variables. I used the methods described and recommended on the ATSA Compilation thread, which I am truly grateful for. My own opinion, but I feel that doing EXTREMELY well on this part in terms of SPEED and ACCURACY may have a major impact on the overall scoring process of the test as well as the overall candidate selection process due to my personal ASSUMPTION that they look for candidates that have exceptional memorization and memory processing abilities. It probably only took me about one second or less to answer each time for the first part and only about 1-2 seconds to answer for each one on the variables section. I flew threw this particular section and probably only missed a total of only 1-5 calculations, maybe even less, combined for both the differences part and the variables part. I've taken a quick look at other threads about the academy and basically it's mostly book learning and memorization of the required details and specifications. Even on the job, memorization seems to plays a BIG part in its success. MEMORIZATION = CRUCIAL TO JOB SUCCES? I believe they look for and want the candidates that do well with memorization and information processing and then hope that they can teach them the rest of the technicalities required for the job. Again, this is all based on my assumption. Inputs and criticism welcomed. Thank you.

Furthermore, for the Spatial Relationship part of the test where you have to press YES or NO in correspondence to the positioning of the two planes, again, I feel I did exceptionally well here. If I remember correctly, I chose incorrectly for about less than 5 of the images and I feel I quickly and accurately came to a decision and pressed the buttons for this section pretty quickly for each scenario that popped up. It probably took me about only a second each time to press the buttons to answer for each image. I feel that exceptional SPEED and ACCURACY again plays a big part for this particular section of the test. I have no idea how this section is graded or how large of an impact it has on the overall test score. Feel free to enlighten me if anyone else has anything to say about it. Thanks!

In regards to the simulation part of the test I feel I did not do so well here. Even with just the first basic part without the maths and questions at the bottom I feel I did pretty bad with collisions here and there that I felt I could have avoided if I had not been so anxious/nervous. I remember dreading the second part after doing bad here, so I suggest you definitely take a break before doing this section of the test. Clear your head of all of the previous sections and take a breather. I thought that I was going to ace this section going in, but I obviously did not. I kept doing the practice until I had everything perfect twice in a row, however I still did really bad in the real test for this part due to nerves. On to the second part with the questions at the bottom, again, I PERSONALLY feel I did horrible and even worse on this section than the previous, because I had quite a number of collisions, maybe at least 2 collisions for each time they changed up the scenario. However, I tried to just press a random answer for the questions at the bottom every time one popped up though--it's just me. The definitely helpful guys on the ATSA Compilation thread and as well as that one Nice Lady, you know who you are, that posted her own insight about her test right after having completed it recommended to just focus on the collisions. I believe this is up to your person. I personally felt obligated to just quickly glance at the problem and quickly choose an answer every time a new one pops up while at the same time keeping my eye on the course simulation above. Since I've got best qualified even after feeling that I've completely bombed this entire section, I am absolutely at a complete loss of how they analyze this section and how it contributes into how they want their desired candidates to perform on this section, thus, why I initially ASSUMED in the first part of my rambling that the first part of the test, the memorization section of the test with the differences and variables, may count more than we think it does. I remember feeling that I would not be being referred due to the fact that I did really bad on this section. Whew.

On to the logic and word problems section of the test. For this particular section, before anything else, I made it a point to make sure that I choose an answer for every question and complete the entire thing due to the fact that it literally says that you'll lose points for not completing the entire thing. Also, it literally states that this particular test was PURPOSELY difficult for the test takers or victims. Again, as advised on the ATSA compilation thread and other sources, DO NOT GET HUNG UP ON THE QUESTIONS. I gave myself exactly ONE MINUTE for each question and just chose an answer the moment the minute is up. If you have time, you can go back and look at any that you felt you could deduct correctly. I have no feelings on how this is analyzed and how big of an impact it has on the overall assessment. But again it is IMPORTANT, that you COMPLETE THE ENTIRE THING. Also for this section, I was semi-brain fried. I only really tried to read/understand maybe like 5 complete questions and tried to pick the best answers, and everything else after that I quickly glanced over the logical data, organized said data in my head, and guessed/picked the most reasonable looking answers. I feel I did horrible on this part too. But like I said, I made sure I paced myself and gave an answer for every question.

Okay. For the personality test, I personally based my answers on how I think the FAA would want their ideal candidate to be mentally. All about that MENTAL. Of course, I also chose answers I felt fit me personality wise. For example, I feel an ideal candidate is an individual that feels comfortable working alone but also be willing to and able to work and play well effectively with others, be independent, CONFIDENT, and be able to work under stress, as well as be flexible and comfortable working in any environment. Also, the individual must embody leadership qualities and be able to reenforce and clearly voice their opinions/decisions due to the fact that controllers are required to lead the pilots and need to sell and convince them with confidence that their decisions are correct and safe, and that in order for the pilots to succeed in their environment, they must believe and have faith in you in yours. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just my personal insight for this section. So basically for this section, choose the traits that make you a CONFIDENT LEADER. Also, I greatly welcome your insights and views on how you feel one should tackle this section. Thank you all.

Last but not least, the reading comprehension. I've always been good with reading prompts and passages, and then answering relevant questions corresponding to said passage. Just take this section head on. I feel that you can personally prepare for this section by just searching for online resources that pose similar questions. Basically, something I've done my entire life in school. And again, it is crucial that you pace yourself because this section is timed. It is crucial that you TAKE YOUR TIME and READ and UNDERSTAND each PASSAGE so that you don't have to go back and look through the passage for the answers. If you happen to need to go back and look at the passage after having already read the questions, go and search for online resources, so that you may be able to practice and accustom yourself to GLANCING AND GLIDING QUICKLY over the passage for the KEY WORDS mentioned in the QUESTIONS. PAY ATTENTION TO DETAILS. Each passage you're required to read usually has one to three corresponding questions per passage. Anyways, that's how I personally did it and I felt I did well. Thanks!

Conclusively, I would like to personally thank everyone in this community, people in this thread, and all of the providers/contributors of any and of all sources about the ATSA and just basically anything else, such as personal insights, experiences, opinions, etc.--it seriously helped/helps a lot--like a lot. I would like to encourage everyone in this community to post and share their feelings because it really helped/helps me, and I'm sure others, coming on here seeking help and reading comments. Ask questions please! Maybe some of us are too afraid to ask questions, and by doing so you'll definitely help us out! Thank you to all the wholesome people in this community who do their best to answer these questions or provide information. Coming on here and reading all of your comments makes me feel that I'm not alone in on this, which provides me with a great sense of ease and comfort. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I can not THANK YOU people and this community enough. If you have any further questions, just ask and I'll be glad to get back to you, or try to at least. Thank you. BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF US.

Last edited:
A fiancé in his future, I sense...... ?

On a more serious note, hopefully there is a January bid that will get your foot in the door!
Hahaha we’ve known each other 15 years and dated over 6 years now. Saying boyfriend sounds so strange at this point...but partner or significant other sounds like I’m trying to hard ?. But yes totally in the works. ? We’re more of the eloping type vs spending 30k on a wedding type haha.

And yes! Fingers crossed for a bid opening earlier in the year. ??????

Pool 2 is much bigger though so the top 8% of two could be as many people as 50% of pool 1. Did you get referred?
Right, that’s what I was thinking just didn’t say it outright. Unfortunately, not referred this time around (I was pool 2 and only got “qualified” ?). Probably bombed the logical reasoning because timed reading is not my strong suit. I’m extremely confident with the first half of the test though. Will have to practice more timed reading for next time and check out LSAT questions as well.

Internal ATC source says he heard they’re only taking the top 8% - I’m assuming he means from pool 2 but maybe also the top 8% from pool 1 which seems to have included everyone that got BQ, WQ and Q.

Yikes, I hope this isn't true, because there seem to be a ton of people who were referred. This is my last chance at it, so I hope they plan to select a large amount of people to increase my chances.

Pool 2, best qualified, not referred. I called the number and spoke to some nice lady that explained that due to some legislation they can only take 10% of applicants from each pool, and there’s nothing they can do about the algorithm. She told me to keep applying and not to retest because my score was already high. So if you scored BQ, I’d do the same. She said there will be another announcement in either January or February so for all of us that didn’t get it this round, it’s only a few months away!
Hey Mandy, do you happen to have the number that you called? That would be greatly appreciated thanks :)

She said nothing about a TOL specifically. I didn’t ask because I obviously won’t be getting one this round. I highly encourage anyone to call that number and ask as many questions as you want.
Hey Mandy, do you happen to have the phone number that you called? That would be greatly appreciated thx :)

Does anyone know what level range/facilities are given after the academy? I know there has to be openings, and it varies every class, but are they all low and mid-level, or are lvl 11s only available via transfer down the road?

Does anyone know what level range/facilities are given after the academy? I know there has to be openings, and it varies every class, but are they all low and mid-level, or are lvl 11s only available via transfer down the road?
If you are going to tower school expect 4-7 tower only or up/downs. If you are enroute expect a 8-12.

If you go en route you can get to a level 12 off the bat. Most centers are 10-12. Terminal is 7 and below I believe.

Back
Top Bottom