Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

Nope, just gotta wait til next year and not be too old by then, either that or get yourself into pool 1 for a better chance.

I remember some questions about Instrument ratings/commercial if you actually fly as well from the application on usajobs. Does having those also give any preference to you as an applicant? I'm wondering as I'm a student pilot. I could always push to have those ratings by the next window. Unfortunately, joining the military isn't really an option for me at this juncture to get preference, and I already have a bachelor's, so going CTI would be silly.
Depends on your situation. I got my bachelors Fall 16 took a year off and decided to do the CTI program and will be finishing up this semester.

Nope, just gotta wait til next year and not be too old by then, either that or get yourself into pool 1 for a better chance.

I remember some questions about Instrument ratings/commercial if you actually fly as well from the application on usajobs. Does having those also give any preference to you as an applicant? I'm wondering as I'm a student pilot. I could always push to have those ratings by the next window. Unfortunately, joining the military isn't really an option for me at this juncture to get preference, and I already have a bachelor's, so going CTI would be silly.
Depends on your situation. I got my bachelors Fall 16 took a year off and decided to do the CTI program and will be finishing up this semester.

Same here. Only took me 2 years to get the second bachelors. So now I'm CTI Pool 1 and have a wider choice of career fields if it doesn't work out.

Adding to the statistics

P1- Qualified - Referred-VRA (2019 bid)

For the 2018 bid
P1-Best Qualified-Referred-VRA

...but did not receive TOL for 2018(I was within 120 days from my date of separation from military).

Even with BQ and Pool 1 I was not referred, and my background in the military is TACP (Tactical Air Control Party) which translates adequately to ATC.

My opinion, absolutely no way to know who will receive a TOL.

F
Adding to the statistics

P1- Qualified - Referred-VRA (2019 bid)

For the 2018 bid
P1-Best Qualified-Referred-VRA

...but did not receive TOL for 2018(I was within 120 days from my date of separation from military).

Even with BQ and Pool 1 I was not referred, and my background in the military is TACP (Tactical Air Control Party) which translates adequately to ATC.

My opinion, absolutely no way to know who will receive a TOL.
FYI in the FAA's eyes TACP doesn't translate adequately to ATC.

Pool 1 is former military of any kind (no aviation background necessary) and CTI students... So it doesn't mean that TACP was recognized.

Thanks for the pointing that out, but that's not totally correct either. Going back to the announcement:

2. A veteran eligible for a Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA) pursuant to section 4214 of Title 38 and can provide a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty within 120 days from the announcement closing.
3. An eligible veteran maintaining aviation experience obtained in the course of your military experience and/or entitled to veterans' preference (must meet eligibility requirements in section 2108 of Title 5, United States Code) and can provide a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty within 120 days from the announcement closing.

Unfortunately, former military of any kind does not in it's self make someone a "Veteran" or entitled to Veteran's preference. Though i suspect as a TACP he most likely fulfilled those eligibility requirements several times over. It's just the National Guard and Reserve members that get royally screwed by the way these announcements are written.

If anyone thinks that it would be a good idea if pool 1 could be bigger so a: less competition in pool 2 and b: more applicants from pool 2 could be selected, then support inclusion of National Guard and Reserve members in federal hiring. As it stands, Guard and Reserve members are not VRA eligible until the deploy (some are not allowed to even volunteer to deploy if their unit considers them mission critical at home). Guard and Reserve Air Traffic Controllers get doubly screwed because the FAA considers "Prior Experience" for the purpose of the prior experience bid as having "Actively performed full time Air Traffic Control Duties in an Air Traffic Control Facility for 52 weeks after obtaining a facility rating. That sucks because once you obtain your facility rating in the guard or reserve you become a drill status guardsman (DSG), 1 weekend a moth 2-3 weeks per year, though you are expected to maintain proficiency, be ready for deployment, and are often called upon to fill in for your facilities manning needs.

For the purpose of this bid and other off the street bids, Air Traffic experience of any kind has no effect on Pool 1 classification unless you are also an "Eligible Veteran". A National Guard or Reserve Air Traffic Controller's experience in that case can only be used to qualify for pool 2 such as an alternative to the PROGRESSIVELY RESPONSIBLE WORK EXPERIENCE or full 4-year course of study leading to a Bachelor's degree education requirements.

TL;DR
Call your Congress Person and ask them to have the FAA extend pool 1 eligibility to any person who has held a facility rating in a military ATC facility and has not had their ratings canceled for reasons due to Hazard to Flying Safety incident.

Anyone think that wording seems unreasonable? I'm open to suggestions.

This is legit? This is for this trainee bid? None of you are prior experience? Can someone post theirs for proof?

Back
Top Bottom