Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607

Took mine today in California. This is my 5th time taking an FAA exam (3 ATSATs and 2 ATSAs) walked out feeling like I always have which means I’m due for another “qualified” score but we’ll see I guess. Deductive reasoning/ATC scenario’s destroyed me. Everything else went okay. Let’s hope the 5th time is a charm and good luck to everyone this unordinary hiring bid. May the TOL Gods smile upon us.

I had my test scheduled for tuesday, showed up and the lady said they are not testing due to covid. Wish they would have sent me an email..i got a test scheduled for Syracuse next week
I’ve been in constant communication with PSI. Unfortunately communication between PSI’s central and the testing sites is horrible. I had my test scheduled for last Monday, went there and the lady said they were not testing that maybe Saturday they would but she had no clue. Spoke to several agents and each one gave me different info, three days ago I spoke to one who confirmed a new date and was also surprised of my previous test date since “the testing site never informed them that they were going to administer the test that day”. Hopefully I’ll be able to take it this Monday in Secaucus.

For those of you who have traveled to Denver for your test do you have any recommendations for where to stay or not stay?

I took my test in Denver this past Wednesday, June 3rd. Had 1 other dude take it as well. I used my Chase points and stayed at the Motel 6 down the street on Arapahoe...yeah, it's about what you'd expect. But it's literally a straight shot less than 10 mins away. Considering everything going on, the staff did a decent job. Semi-sketchy people were around but they kept to themselves. I basically ordered take out and went straight to my room.

I'm back and cozied up in SLC. I think I did all right...we'll see. The big takeaways I had:

-I used ATCPrep. I do think it was worth the $30, but echoing what some had said, don't use it so much you expect it to be the exactly the same. On the Visual Relationships section, I thought it was optional to use "Enter/+" keys for YES and NO. Being somewhat of a gamer and using computers quite a bit in my professional life, I was used to using the mouse and clicking Yes or No. I got pretty quick at hovering in the space between the YES or NO boxes and using my reflexes to swing up or down for my responses...YOU CAN'T USE THE MOUSE ON THIS SECTION. Woops. So don't be a moron like me and get comfy using the mouse. I did do the sample run multiple times to try and get used to the "Enter/+" keys. I wish I could get another stab at this section because I was scoring 97% on ATCPrep but definitely missed more on the actual test.

- Might sound silly, but practice the test wearing your mask. I put in my ear plugs, had my mask on, and would get into "serious" mode....and literally forgot to breathe during the Differences section. Like I would just hold my breath, as if I was playing a video game during some intense moment. Then when the section would end, I'd realize how out of breath I was and breathe deeply lol. Not sure if I just blew it, but on all rounds it ended in the middle of a problem. So either I was slow AF and didn't finish, or there are unlimited problems and they're seeing how many you can do.

- Radar game. ATCPrep does a decent job, but the real thing is much more chaotic. I think I had 3 collisions. 2 of which happened on the same round. Woops. ALSO, when the arithmetic questions are going, I got used to looking at the last digits of the problems and using that as a shortcut...that didn't pan out as well on the test. There are questions that have decimals as answers and that threw me a bit. Again, like others have said, I just prioritized separating the dots first and did the math questions when I could. Had plenty go unanswered.

-Value/Relations. Saw quite a few people asking for tips on this...I would simply read it aloud (quietly) to myself, and visually put the "A" to left of the screen, "B" on the top of the screen, and "C" to the right of the screen. So as the values showed, I would point to the side and repeat the value, cycling through. As the questions showed, I think it helped my brain to point to "where" it was and recall. Idk if it'll help you.

IE:
A = 3
B = Ax2
C = A + 1

My process was to visually "move" A to the left of the screen and repeat its value. When B pops up, I would say aloud "A2", do the math, and then CYCLE the values thus far. So I'd point to the left, say "3", point up, say "6", and REPEAT until C shows up, to which I then start from "3" to "6" to "4", all while pointing. When the tests asks for the answers, often not alphabetically, I would point to "where they were", and forget it the moment I input the answer. If it's a division value, I say to myself "over" instead of "divided by". Faster...idk if it helped. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Reading Comp/Logic Word problems: Not as hard as LSAT questions but I did think it helped to prime my mind for it. I was worried about time, since you don't have a lot of it, and "quick answered" through the middle section, thinking it'd be better to rush the middle questions and have time to go through the last questions, as opposed to realizing you don't have enough time and purely guess the last third of questions. Seemed to work, I did feel confident about my answers. My tip would be to read the question first before reading the passage. So you know what to look for while you're skimming through it.

Welp hope this helps! Good luck to all.

I took my test in Denver this past Wednesday, June 3rd. Had 1 other dude take it as well. I used my Chase points and stayed at the Motel 6 down the street on Arapahoe...yeah, it's about what you'd expect. But it's literally a straight shot less than 10 mins away. Considering everything going on, the staff did a decent job. Semi-sketchy people were around but they kept to themselves. I basically ordered take out and went straight to my room.

I'm back and cozied up in SLC. I think I did all right...we'll see. The big takeaways I had:

-I used ATCPrep. I do think it was worth the $30, but echoing what some had said, don't use it so much you expect it to be the exactly the same. On the Visual Relationships section, I thought it was optional to use "Enter/+" keys for YES and NO. Being somewhat of a gamer and using computers quite a bit in my professional life, I was used to using the mouse and clicking Yes or No. I got pretty quick at hovering in the space between the YES or NO boxes and using my reflexes to swing up or down for my responses...YOU CAN'T USE THE MOUSE ON THIS SECTION. Woops. So don't be a moron like me and get comfy using the mouse. I did do the sample run multiple times to try and get used to the "Enter/+" keys. I wish I could get another stab at this section because I was scoring 97% on ATCPrep but definitely missed more on the actual test.

- Might sound silly, but practice the test wearing your mask. I put in my ear plugs, had my mask on, and would get into "serious" mode....and literally forgot to breathe during the Differences section. Like I would just hold my breath, as if I was playing a video game during some intense moment. Then when the section would end, I'd realize how out of breath I was and breathe deeply lol. Not sure if I just blew it, but on all rounds it ended in the middle of a problem. So either I was slow AF and didn't finish, or there are unlimited problems and they're seeing how many you can do.

- Radar game. ATCPrep does a decent job, but the real thing is much more chaotic. I think I had 3 collisions. 2 of which happened on the same round. Woops. ALSO, when the arithmetic questions are going, I got used to looking at the last digits of the problems and using that as a shortcut...that didn't pan out as well on the test. There are questions that have decimals as answers and that threw me a bit. Again, like others have said, I just prioritized separating the dots first and did the math questions when I could. Had plenty go unanswered.

-Value/Relations. Saw quite a few people asking for tips on this...I would simply read it aloud (quietly) to myself, and visually put the "A" to left of the screen, "B" on the top of the screen, and "C" to the right of the screen. So as the values showed, I would point to the side and repeat the value, cycling through. As the questions showed, I think it helped my brain to point to "where" it was and recall. Idk if it'll help you.

IE:
A = 3
B = Ax2
C = A + 1

My process was to visually "move" A to the left of the screen and repeat its value. When B pops up, I would say aloud "A2", do the math, and then CYCLE the values thus far. So I'd point to the left, say "3", point up, say "6", and REPEAT until C shows up, to which I then start from "3" to "6" to "4", all while pointing. When the tests asks for the answers, often not alphabetically, I would point to "where they were", and forget it the moment I input the answer. If it's a division value, I say to myself "over" instead of "divided by". Faster...idk if it helped. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Reading Comp/Logic Word problems: Not as hard as LSAT questions but I did think it helped to prime my mind for it. I was worried about time, since you don't have a lot of it, and "quick answered" through the middle section, thinking it'd be better to rush the middle questions and have time to go through the last questions, as opposed to realizing you don't have enough time and purely guess the last third of questions. Seemed to work, I did feel confident about my answers. My tip would be to read the question first before reading the passage. So you know what to look for while you're skimming through it.

Welp hope this helps! Good luck to all.

Took my test in Queens, no problems.

Affirmative, had a test date for June 11th and they cancelled on me. Explanation was that the testing facility is closed UFN.
Huh, this is so weird. So some people took their tests in Denver, and some people we're unable ?‍♀️

Affirmative, had a test date for June 11th and they cancelled on me. Explanation was that the testing facility is closed UFN.
Also I have to ask, did you receive an email about that? I received no email regarding the matter.

Just realizing something...

I also applied to the Alaska FSS bid this year too. Checking my application status on both ATC and FSS, they're both still “received” on AVIATOR. I only got one invite email for the ATSA on April 27th. Is there any way to check which one I'm being considered for? Or is it common for the FAA to be like “here, take the ATSA and we'll decide from there”? Did any of you guys get ATSA invites for both? I understand you only take it once and could use it for both...

Just realizing something...

I also applied to the Alaska FSS bid this year too. Checking my application status on both ATC and FSS, they're both still “received” on AVIATOR. I only got one invite email for the ATSA on April 27th. Is there any way to check which one I'm being considered for? Or is it common for the FAA to be like “here, take the ATSA and we'll decide from there”? Did any of you guys get ATSA invites for both? I understand you only take it once and could use it for both...
I’m also in the same boat but I too only got one invite.

I’ve been in constant communication with PSI. Unfortunately communication between PSI’s central and the testing sites is horrible. I had my test scheduled for last Monday, went there and the lady said they were not testing that maybe Saturday they would but she had no clue. Spoke to several agents and each one gave me different info, three days ago I spoke to one who confirmed a new date and was also surprised of my previous test date since “the testing site never informed them that they were going to administer the test that day”. Hopefully I’ll be able to take it this Monday in Secaucus.

So today I go to my test site, very optimistic to take the test (for the 6th time). A PSI operator (the 7th I spoke to) assured me that the test is confirmed and indeed I was going to take it today. When I got to the test site guess what the same girl told me? :) The same exact thing. Adding now that she's been on the job only for two weeks, that everybody who administers the test at that location doesn't want to work and the one who did and was giving the test on Saturdays (which does not match the dates from the website) left and her boss is in Georgia so I couldn't pull a Karen. So basically, I have nothing. :). Mind you, I'm not the only one, many more have gone to that test site and received the same answer.

Boy, some of the stories coming from this bid are crazy. I feel bad that I was able to walk in and take the test, the lady didnt even care about a mask since I was literally the only one there besides her....
You were lucky. Tomorrow I have a “confirmed test” in Brick, NJ. Supposedly the operator called the test site directly (after a previous operator told me they couldn’t do that) and confirmed that they were administering the test. It’s less than 100 miles from where I work so it won’t be long compared to some others here. Imagine, just imagine when I arrive I get an “oh we’re not giving that test here” ?. That would be awesome ????.

You were lucky. Tomorrow I have a “confirmed test” in Brick, NJ. Supposedly the operator called the test site directly (after a previous operator told me they couldn’t do that) and confirmed that they were administering the test. It’s less than 100 miles from where I work so it won’t be long compared to some others here. Imagine, just imagine when I arrive I get an “oh we’re not giving that test here” ?. That would be awesome ????.

I took my test in Brick, NJ on Saturday. You should be fine.

So today I go to my test site, very optimistic to take the test (for the 6th time). A PSI operator (the 7th I spoke to) assured me that the test is confirmed and indeed I was going to take it today. When I got to the test site guess what the same girl told me? :) The same exact thing. Adding now that she's been on the job only for two weeks, that everybody who administers the test at that location doesn't want to work and the one who did and was giving the test on Saturdays (which does not match the dates from the website) left and her boss is in Georgia so I couldn't pull a Karen. So basically, I have nothing. :). Mind you, I'm not the only one, many more have gone to that test site and received the same answer.

I am scheduled to go here tomorrow ? I’m on the phone with them now but to be honest I don’t know if what they will tell me will be any good at this point.

I am scheduled to go here tomorrow ? I’m on the phone with them now but to be honest I don’t know if what they will tell me will be any good at this point.
I've realized that Brick opens up spots on a daily basis, so if they don't have availability for tomorrow, just wait until tomorrow and reserve for the next day. I'm talking based on a pattern I've observed but it's worth the shot I guess.

Back
Top Bottom