Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607

So where are you seeing the thing on past meds?

I just entered to check what they ask in medxpress for a second class medical/ATCS and new atcs after TOL (two different options) and it only asks current medications on question 17.

Current is a far easier question ?.

Last edited:
Hey, I saw your post in the forum. Were you medically cleared? did the AME ask about the ambien/lunesta?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner I didn't see the message. Yes I was cleared ( I think it took like 3-1/2 months for me to get my medical start to finish). They did not even ask about the ambien/lunesta but it has been 10 years since I had taken them. I stopped taking them when I graduated college. What they were stuck up on was that the doctor I got them from mentioned narcolepsy on my medical records (I never had a problem staying awake it was going to sleep but I told the doctor it seemed that I was more tired when I get up than when I go to sleep so he put that under my diagnoses). I had to do an at home sleep study (it came back clean) and then I had to write them a letter about how you get diagnosed with such a thing but don't really have it. I think I would have been cleared sooner but I guess it took them like 2 months to get to me in the pile, and then they asked me for more medical records that I already gave then and then after that they requested the letter, and I was cleared in a week. In addition to the sleep study they wanted current status reports from the doctor I saw for the sleep thing ( I couldn't get ahold of him) and a spine doctor I saw for a small stress fracture like 6 years ago.

To be honest I thought this was going to be a lot more and involved process than it really was. I was really more worried about the MMI-2. The only real complaint I have about the process is that they want you get current status reports from doctors that you haven't seen in 10 years and aren't really patients of anymore. I had to explain the situation to the receptionist at the spine place I went to like 3 times. She thought I was trying to get on like disability or welfare. And when I saw the spine doctor for a current evaluation he was really surprised that they wanted me to do all of this. I kind of think that the AME doctor could have done an evaluation, but what ever its done now.

You could pull your own medical records for them, also there is a decent chance they will want the records so they might not be a bad thing to have on hand.

hey can you privately PM me back? Prefer to discuss not in this public thread. Thank you!

So where are you seeing the thing on past meds?

I just entered to check what they ask in medxpress for a second class medical/ATCS and new atcs after TOL (two different options) and it only asks current medications on question 17.

Current is a far easier question ?.
The pre-employment work sheet asks for past meds

can you send me the link for new ATCS after TOL? I’m curious to see what you’re looking at

Edit: you’re right, the med express asks for current rx only. It’s the worksheet that asks for both current and historical

Edit: does anyone know why there might be a disparity? it's far easier to just list current

Super random question but, I was looking over the basics syllabus and now I'm curious how much of what we learn in basics and academy might carry over when I get my PPL in the future.

Super random question but, I was looking over the basics syllabus and now I'm curious how much of what we learn in basics and academy might carry over when I get my PPL in the future.

As a newly minted ASEL private pilot myself (literally got my permanent private pilot certificate in the mail yesterday) and potential controller who just answered EODS emails last week, I can say without question that it almost certainly does.

When you renew your atcs medical annually it also looks like you can do a second class medical simultaneously, upon looking at MedXpress. Initial for TOL doesn't look like you can do that though.

As a newly minted ASEL private pilot myself (literally got my permanent private pilot certificate in the mail yesterday) and potential controller who just answered EODS emails last week, I can say without question that it almost certainly does.

When you renew your atcs medical annually it also looks like you can do a second class medical simultaneously, upon looking at MedXpress. Initial for TOL doesn't look like you can do that though.
That's great to know, longterm goal is to first make it through and after a year or so of working in the field start my PPL. Also congrats!

Quote from my basics instructor the other day: "Finishing this basics course will have you near totally up to speed if you wish to get your PPL."

Quote from my basics instructor the other day: "Finishing this basics course will have you near totally up to speed if you wish to get your PPL.".

You need to get some real stick/yoke time though still.

Being at the controls of a small Cessna/Piper/Beech/Grumman/Diamond/etc (don't ask me about Cirrus) is VERY different from MSFS and X-Plane. There's a seat of the pants feeling and a level of feedback you just don't get on a computer. Rudder control is also far more important (and obvious) irl in particular. I took some friends up on Sunday (one who hasnt flown before) and afterwards, they were like, yep, this is hardly like the sim.

Maneuvers (stalls, steep turns, landings, soft/short field landings, various takeoffs, and pattern work) also takes alot of time. Find a good CFI to teach you all the "things" once you are placed at your facility.

Also, helicopters, don't let me get started there. Unlike planes, you have to be on the controls the whole time, else you're pretty much dead (helicopters are very unstable especially when not moving in relation to the air).

Being at the controls of a small Cessna/Piper/Beech/Grumman/Diamond/etc (don't ask me about Cirrus) is VERY different from MSFS and X-Plane. There's a seat of the pants feeling and a level of feedback you just don't get on a computer. Rudder control is also far more important (and obvious) irl in particular. I took some friends up on Sunday (one who hasnt flown before) and afterwards, they were like, yep, this is hardly like the sim.

Maneuvers (stalls, steep turns, landings, soft/short field landings, various takeoffs, and pattern work) also takes alot of time. Find a good CFI to teach you all the "things" once you are placed at your facility.

Also, helicopters, don't let me get started there. Unlike planes, you have to be on the controls the whole time, else you're pretty much dead (helicopters are very unstable especially when not moving in relation to the air).
I feel like after 6ish thousand hours in-sim I'll at least have a better understanding of the plane/flight dynamics, at least compared to someone that's never simmed before. My discovery flight felt really good, at least!

I feel like after 6ish thousand hours in-sim I'll at least have a better understanding of the plane/flight dynamics, at least compared to someone that's never simmed before. My discovery flight felt really good, at least!

That's alot of sim time ?. It's good for knowing how the instruments and what not work, but don't over-rely on it, listen to your CFI. On that note, find a good CFI (seriously, I can't stress this enough) that you can trust.

I've gone through like 6-7 over 2+ years of training (it lasted that long as I was fighting for my medical...which should now make becoming an atcs so much easier!), two of those were fantastic and I clicked well with them, the rest were meh. Biggest thing I noticed is with the good ones, we had compatible personalities and I trusted their competency.

Glad you've done the discovery flight already at least, a lot of people think they want to fly, do that, and then they're like, nope.

That's alot of sim time ?. It's good for knowing how the instruments and what not work, but don't over-rely on it, listen to your CFI. On that note, find a good CFI (seriously, I can't stress this enough) that you can trust.

I've gone through like 6-7 over 2+ years of training (it lasted that long as I was fighting for my medical...which should now make becoming an atcs so much easier!), two of those were fantastic and I clicked well with them, the rest were meh. Biggest thing I noticed is with the good ones, we had compatible personalities and I trusted their competency.

Glad you've done the discovery flight already at least, a lot of people think they want to fly, do that, and then they're like, nope.
haha yeah but that's spread over several years. And yeah that's why I'm holding off until I'm out of basics/academy and settled in somewhere, that way I'll probably just find one naturally. I think that goes for all things, even in college a good prof makes a huge difference over one who's just collecting a check.

and oh yeah, I can see why. GA planes feel way different than a commercial jet as a passenger. It for sure took a few minutes to calm myself down and remember that I was fine but once I was able to it was smooth sailing.

haha yeah but that's spread over several years. And yeah that's why I'm holding off until I'm out of basics/academy and settled in somewhere, that way I'll probably just find one naturally. I think that goes for all things, even in college a good prof makes a huge difference over one who's just collecting a check.

and oh yeah, I can see why. GA planes feel way different than a commercial jet as a passenger. It for sure took a few minutes to calm myself down and remember that I was fine but once I was able to it was smooth sailing.
Flight schools and CFIs also have a tendency to close, stop instructing, or go out of business ?.

(People go to airlines, stop instructing, or just make no money, etc)

He wasn't speaking toward any of that, but strictly in terms of information you will learn in a classroom environment. If you're already a pilot, basics is 80% a breeze because you already know most of it.

Soooo I spent a few years as a military controller (waiting on a class date for OKC RN) and I have been a pilot for 2 and a half years now. I can say that it does take the ATS System overall and kinda give you a 3D perspective of it. You will seriously excel with radio communications. Other than that, maybe a better understanding of basic regs. But I wouldn’t go as far to say you will automatically be a better pilot with ATC experience.

Soooo I spent a few years as a military controller (waiting on a class date for OKC RN) and I have been a pilot for 2 and a half years now. I can say that it does take the ATS System overall and kinda give you a 3D perspective of it. You will seriously excel with radio communications. Other than that, maybe a better understanding of basic regs. But I wouldn’t go as far to say you will automatically be a better pilot with ATC experience.
Right that's all I meant by it, pretty excited for the next few years lol

Anyone have any insight on the length of the process with the new Covid variant that’s came about? I’ve been offered a job in the interim while I wait for class date but didn’t know what to expect. New company knows about me being in the process. But I am also early in the process, (received EODS yesterday afternoon).

Back
Top Bottom