Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607

Yeah I’m with you on that one. Just doesn’t make sense.
Why not? One theory is that scores are relative to other scores. If P2 people are getting referred with only Q this bid, then it seems that the scores were on average lower this bid. Last year, people in P2 got BQ and still weren't referred.

Why not? One theory is that scores are relative to other scores. If P2 people are getting referred with only Q this bid, then it seems that the scores were on average lower this bid. Last year, people in P2 got BQ and still weren't referred.
I just think there are more referrals b/c not everyone tested. There’s a smaller amount of tests completed. Therefore, they’re referring more than usual. Not a bad thing, gives more opportunities to people that were Q & WQ.

Why is that a mistake?

If my theory that scores are curved rather than absolutely scored is true then there's very very few applicants in the pool that guy tested in and they all tested terribly (I don't think he mentioned he was P1), or it's a mistake.

Seeing that no one under BQ from pool2 was referred in 2019 bid But this time a lot of Q and WQ got referred. I am assuming all BQ's will get TOL, unlike last year in which many BQ's never got TOL.
Good luck to everyone!

Am I reading this right? The same score you used last year that was "qualified" got you BQ this time?

Yes. I applied to the hiring bid last summer and took the ATSA in the fall which resulted in Pool 1 "Qualified" but I never received a TOL. I applied to the hiring bid in January 2020, but never retested. I assume they used the same test results as last year, and it resulted in "Best Qualified" this time around. The only thing I changed on my application was my state of residency. I apologize for not being familiar with the processes myself, but I hope this helps you and/or anyone else reading.

Yes. I applied to the hiring bid last summer and took the ATSA in the fall which resulted in Pool 1 "Qualified" but I never received a TOL. I applied to the hiring bid in January 2020, but never retested. I assume they used the same test results as last year, and it resulted in "Best Qualified" this time around. The only thing I changed on my application was my state of residency. I apologize for not being familiar with the processes myself, but I hope this helps you and/or anyone else reading.
That's really amazing! Congrats! I'm sure they do curve this test a little if you went from Qualified to Best Qualified. Good luck on a TOL this time around!

On another note, for those of us (me) sulking over their qualified scores, I was just told from an aviation careers rep within the FAA that there will be another bid that we will be able to apply to "sometime this summer". I would take this with a grain of salt because I believe last year someone said the same thing about a January 2019 bid (but then the shutdown happened). So keep your heads up and just keep playing the waiting game!
I hope this is true. I was totally in shock when I saw I only had a qualified score but I'll definitely retake it if given the opportunity and hopefully get a TOL. I've got a few years until I'm 30 so I'm not too concerned; just wanted to jumpstart my life with my dream, like everyone else lol

On another note, for those of us (me) sulking over their qualified scores, I was just told from an aviation careers rep within the FAA that there will be another bid that we will be able to apply to "sometime this summer". I would take this with a grain of salt because I believe last year someone said the same thing about a January 2019 bid (but then the shutdown happened). So keep your heads up and just keep playing the waiting game!
On the flip side, I remember hearing the same thing about this bid and it actually happened.

Got WQ on Summer 2019 bid. Retook test for this bid and got BQ, Referred. Pool 2. Yay

lol, better pray you don’t get en route. It’s all about that math!
Thats one thing I've always wondered about.

At what point at the academy will people know if they are going Terminal or En Route? Is it chosen for you? Do you choose it?

I feel that I would thrive regardless, I just haven't decided personally which one that I would like to do most....Although I probably got more instruction in tower by far, with some tracon when I was at my cti. Not much exposure to en route but I am definitely considering it not only because of the money, but because I have a very good sense of direction. A map head if you will lol been reading maps since I was 4 or 5.

Also have a Bachelors in geography/minor in spatial science.

At what point at the academy will people know if they are going Terminal or En Route? Is it chosen for you? Do you choose it?

I feel that I would thrive regardless, I just haven't decided personally which one that I would like to do most....Although I probably got more instruction in tower by far, with some tracon when I was at my cti. Not much exposure to en route but I am definitely considering it not only because of the money, but because I have a very good sense of direction. A map head if you will lol been reading maps since I was 4 or 5.

It's in your FOL.

As others have said, it’s chosen for you and it’s in your FOL. Sometimes they’ll grant you one or the other if you ask and have reasonable reason for it. But 99/100 they won’t do it. What they give is what you get.

Either way, maps are good and all, but it’s about memorization more than learning how to read it(although there is that as well).

Really interested to see how selections are made in this bid since the 10% rule does not apply. I think the most logical move for the FAA is to only select applicants from Pool 1 and Pool 2 that scored Best Qualified. As I am sure a lot of you know, previously due to the 10% rule, quite a few Pool 1 applicants made it in with less than Best Qualified scores seemingly so that they could meet their hiring numbers (at least from what I saw in the 2019 and 2018 bids).

Back
Top Bottom