Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607

hahah that factored into my decision too. Like I said enroute is the main goal but I’d rather get in now, get placed somewhere with either little or no backlog, check out ASAP, then train all over again at a Z. My buddy did exactly that a few years ago. Hope it works out like that for me.
Terminal is the fastest to CPC. Then you have to wait about 2 years to transfer then another 2-3 years of training at a center.

plus if i get terminal i would like to end up at this place someday

holy guacamole that is a great area
Nice man! I hope you get up there one day. Living in SoCal has its perks for sure. I’m in LA right now for a DOD surveillance job and I’d never be able to buy a house here by myself. I’d need to get wifed up and get a dual income to even have a shot hahah I do like San Diego way better than LA and if after the academy I get a SoCal tower like Burbank or Santa Monica or wherever I’ll probably take it bc of familiarity but no way its my forever home.

And the guacamole here is indeed good.

Terminal is the fastest to CPC. Then you have to wait about 2 years to transfer then another 2-3 years of training at a center.
Right, you factor in the training backlog and you might be waiting close to 4 years before you’re certified at a center anyway. So terminal isn’t a bad option. If I can graduate, certify, and transfer in under 4 years, I’d call that a win. My buddy who graduated terminal certified in like 8 months then waited 1 year to transfer that was pre-COVID time though.

Last edited:
Right, you factor in the training backlog and you might be waiting close to 4 years before you’re certified at a center anyway. So terminal isn’t a bad option. If I can graduate, certify, and transfer in under 4 years, I’d call that a win. My buddy who graduated terminal certified in like 8 months then waited 1 year to transfer that was pre-COVID time though.
You can do it!

D2 at a lot of centers is equal to about lower tower CPC. Something to think about
Haha ouch, at least money goes a little further in smaller places (some places excluded) if I wasn’t a vet and didn’t have a GI bill to use during training, I honestly don’t know if I would have said yes today either. Been an insane 36 hours to say the least.

Haha ouch, at least money goes a little further in smaller places (some places excluded) if I wasn’t a vet and didn’t have a GI bill to use during training, I honestly don’t know if I would have said yes today either. Been an insane 36 hours to say the least.
It’s worth it once your through training. A lot of us took pay cuts for this job. The GI bill during training is a pretty good bonus. Make sure you don’t start claiming it until you get to your facility cus you’ll get paid more most likely

It’s worth it once your through training. A lot of us took pay cuts for this job. The GI bill during training is a pretty good bonus. Make sure you don’t start claiming it until you get to your facility cus you’ll get paid more most likely
Thanks for the tip buddy. If you have any more I’m all ears. I actually have been trying to learn more on save pay (I’m currently GS11 Step2) and from what I’m reading and how I interpret that is, I’ll continue receiving that pay at the academy. You familiar with any of that?

So I've been told by HR that classes are filled through April. My friends and I are contemplating a trip out west May 15-22. I'm worried I might get assigned a class date before the 22nd. Do you guys think I should risk it? Would HR even let me push a class date back?

So I've been told by HR that classes are filled through April. My friends and I are contemplating a trip out west May 15-22. I'm worried I might get assigned a class date before the 22nd. Do you guys think I should risk it? Would HR even let me push a class date back?

They've pushed back class dates for important events, such as graduating college, etc. Don't think "a trip with friends" qualifies. Maybe you can lie and say you're going to a family wedding or something, but I wouldn't risk it. That being said, according to the class list there are currently 2 Terminal classes and 3 enroute classes in the beginning of May that would overlap with your dates, so it's possible you miss those completely anyway. If it were me I would just cancel my trip rather than try to push back the class date.

They've pushed back class dates for important events, such as graduating college, etc. Don't think "a trip with friends" qualifies. Maybe you can lie and say you're going to a family wedding or something, but I wouldn't risk it. That being said, according to the class list there are currently 2 Terminal classes and 3 enroute classes in the beginning of May that would overlap with your dates, so it's possible you miss those completely anyway. If it were me I would just cancel my trip rather than try to push back the class date.
Yeah I saw those class dates. I've been trying to gauge how many people have been cleared ahead of me. I see you have a 4/20 class date. Do you know how big the class sizes are currently?

Yeah I saw those class dates. I've been trying to gauge how many people have been cleared ahead of me. I see you have a 4/20 class date. Do you know how big the class sizes are currently?
I think terminal has been up to 8 people and en Route has been up to 6 people

How do you get assigned to a tower position? I see it’s either between terminal or en route?
HR assigns it to you based on whatever class is the next available when they get to you. You don’t get to choose

You don’t have to tell them why. Just ask if you can accept a jeter date due to commitments. And if they say no then you cancel your trip

shooting star GIF

GulfBravoPapa

Back
Top Bottom