Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607

Your FOL should have you saving basic pay to start the academy, and until you pass that in the pay bands. Locality is obvi based on where you are.

My number one tip is to get to a level 12 ASAP, barring geographical concerns. I‘m 9 years in. Started at a lower tower, at a 12 tower now, and I made over 200k last three years.
It’ll be nice to receive GS11 money over AG pay right out of the academy and I couldn’t agree more with your philosophy either. I’d love to a make it back to Cleveland and work for ZOB but ultimately level 12 is a level 12.

Yeah only like 14 Sunday’s and 6 holidays last year. Do make CIP here and decent locality. A few of the 4/10 people pulled over 300k when we were on mandatory 6 day weeks.

The point of my post was to illustrate that no matter whether you are terminal or enroute, if you don‘t have any geographical ties you should prioritize getting to the 12 as early as possible in your career. Compound interest will be your friend and the earlier you make it there the better for you financially in the long run based on how the government manages pay.

How long were you at your low level tower before you made it to your level 12? And how hard was it adjusting to the busier/bigger facility?

Yeah only like 14 Sunday’s and 6 holidays last year. Do make CIP here and decent locality. A few of the 4/10 people pulled over 300k when we were on mandatory 6 day weeks.

The point of my post was to illustrate that no matter whether you are terminal or enroute, if you don‘t have any geographical ties you should prioritize getting to the 12 as early as possible in your career. Compound interest will be your friend and the earlier you make it there the better for you financially in the long run based on how the government manages pay.
Thanks! This is good info to have

Hey all this advice on how to make 200k a year is great and all but I'm still over here waiting for a gotdamn class date. You really expect me to even know what a level 12 facility even means? I barely figured out the difference between en route and terminal yesterday.

Hey all this advice on how to make 200k a year is great and all but I'm still over here waiting for a gotdamn class date. You really expect me to even know what a level 12 facility even means? I barely figured out the difference between en route and terminal yesterday.
Check out 123atc.com. Lists all the facilities, terminal and enroute sir

Think Chicago, Atlanta and LA type busy that’s a 12. School house typically sends you to a lvl 5-7.

I read through the entirety of the Terminal Class Pass Rate and Enroute Class Pass Rate threads.. lot of useful info in those

Are we individually responsible post medical exam/medical clearance for self-monitoring our own medications and making sure we don't take anything prohibited? I know that sounds stupid but do we have to run everything by an AME from here on out or do we just have to make sure it's not on the prohibited list? My AME didn't say anything about my current prescriptions so I think I'm all clear there but I'd rather not assume anything.

How long were you at your low level tower before you made it to your level 12? And how hard was it adjusting to the busier/bigger facility?
Just over 4 years, got picked up for a 9 and a 12 within a month of each other.

Not all 12’s are created equal, but generally speaking only about half our trainees make it through.

Are we individually responsible post medical exam/medical clearance for self-monitoring our own medications and making sure we don't take anything prohibited? I know that sounds stupid but do we have to run everything by an AME from here on out or do we just have to make sure it's not on the prohibited list? My AME didn't say anything about my current prescriptions so I think I'm all clear there but I'd rather not assume anything.
You have to tell the flight surgeon about any changes in your medical situation. Some over the counter prescriptions can disqualify you too

You have to tell the flight surgeon about any changes in your medical situation. Some over the counter prescriptions can disqualify you too
Up to this point, that's been done indirectly through medical, so would I just email medical? Or do I need to contact a specific flight surgeon directly?

Thanks for the tip buddy. If you have any more I’m all ears. I actually have been trying to learn more on save pay (I’m currently GS11 Step2) and from what I’m reading and how I interpret that is, I’ll continue receiving that pay at the academy. You familiar with any of that?
Hey I'm a fed employee (wg11) I actually emailed my HR rep about save pay. This is what they said: "With you being a current federal employee your base salary while you are at the academy should be set at grade 1 step 10 which is higher than someone not federally employed. This should be (24,448 Basic + 30.48% Locality = 31,900.00). Once you graduate and we know at which facility you will be placed, your salary will be set up to the max of the D3 level, if your current salary is below that level for that facility then you should retain the pay you are currently making." So basically still a huge pay cut while in OKC but 32k is at least better than the 25k on the tol, then back to my current pay once at a facility until we surpass an equal pay step

Hey I'm a fed employee (wg11) I actually emailed my HR rep about save pay. This is what they said: "With you being a current federal employee your base salary while you are at the academy should be set at grade 1 step 10 which is higher than someone not federally employed. This should be (24,448 Basic + 30.48% Locality = 31,900.00). Once you graduate and we know at which facility you will be placed, your salary will be set up to the max of the D3 level, if your current salary is below that level for that facility then you should retain the pay you are currently making." So basically still a huge pay cut while in OKC but 32k is at least better than the 25k on the tol, then back to my current pay once at a facility until we surpass an equal pay step
I would argue that as much as possible since DoD to FAA is just a transfer within OPM. OPM has a rule that they can keep your current pay

edit: Plus you can always bring up what it says in the CBA (slate book agreement) about starting pay for military/DoD

Just completed my MMPI yesterday. Assuming I don't get the dreaded tier 2, I'm just waiting for a class date with the rest of you. How are you all passing the time?

Back
Top Bottom