Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607

On the FAA application, question 10 I think, they had you put what pool you want to be in. If you're a veteran, you can still put pool 2. With the dd214 uploaded, would they still put you in pool 1 if you selected pool 2? Just curious.

On the FAA application, question 10 I think, they had you put what pool you want to be in. If you're a veteran, you can still put pool 2. With the dd214 uploaded, would they still put you in pool 1 if you selected pool 2? Just curious.
IIRC no. If you automatically select pool 1 they will filter you to pool 2 if you don't qualify, but they don't put you into Pool 1 if you qualify and chose Pool 2 originally.

Question, as someone who is getting out of the military soon but couldn't get a condition release filled out soon enough for this bid, why would anyone eligible for p1 apply as p2?

I take it you only take the ATSA once? Also, don't count yourself out yet. two separate sets of people to choose from, Alaska is probably a smaller pool so stay with me here.

Yeah I guess I assumed if that email stated I "failed" then I failed the requisite score for regular ATC. Like if I got "well qualified" but "not referred" I might hold out hope but seeing I received what I did...one can hope I guess. It's funny, I actually felt decent about my ATSA, had 3 collisions total over 2 scenarios, and felt good about the reading comprehension part. While I've read a handful of people think they bomb and get a BQ lol. Maybe I was overly cocky.

My mind wants to keep pondering where I went wrong, or if I simply was ruled out due to the Personality section. I know it's not good to dwell though. I turn 29 this summer so maybeee next year! Trying to keep my chin up.

Yeah I guess I assumed if that email stated I "failed" then I failed the requisite score for regular ATC. Like if I got "well qualified" but "not referred" I might hold out hope but seeing I received what I did...one can hope I guess.
I also got not referred. Weird thing is I only got one ATSA invite. I thought there would be two since it was two separate bids.

Yeah I guess I assumed if that email stated I "failed" then I failed the requisite score for regular ATC. Like if I got "well qualified" but "not referred" I might hold out hope but seeing I received what I did...one can hope I guess.

You won’t be picked with Well Qualified, unless you are in Pool 1. If you are in Pool 2, like I was, we got the same score when I took it the first time. You’ll need to get Best Qualified, to have a near guaranteed chance of getting picked. Take the ATSA again for the next bid. Although I never studied/practiced for both of my ATSA attempts, the greatest tip I got off of this forum for my second attempt, was to ‘go faster’ on the exam. You still ‘passed’ the exam, as long you got Qualified and higher

You won’t be picked with Well Qualified, unless you are in Pool 1. If you are in Pool 2, like I was, we got the same score when I took it the first time. You’ll need to get Best Qualified, to have a near guaranteed chance of getting picked. Take the ATSA again for the next bid. Although I never studied/practiced for both of my ATSA attempts, the greatest tip I got off of this forum for my second attempt, was to ‘go faster’ on the exam. You still ‘passed’ the exam, as long you got Qualified and higher
Well that was true for the previous bid no one can say for certain what will happen with this bid. With limited testing availability and a global pandemic is possible to those scoring lower than best qualified, despite the pool, may be hired. No one can really predict how the hiring process will go.

Welp just got the “Not Referred” for the Alaska FSS...stating I didn't pass the ATSA. Guess that applies for this bid too...darn. good luck all!
I just talked to the HR person in Alaska. She said if you didn’t get at least a “70” that you won’t even get in the qualified, well qualified, or best qualified because the score is so low. So if you didn’t pass it’s a sure thing it will be the same for this bid. I guess better luck next time for you and me.

Last edited:
I just talked to the HR person in Alaska. She said if you didn’t get at least a “70” that you won’t even up you in the qualified, well qualified, or best qualified because the score is so low. So if you didn’t pass it’s a sure thing it will be the same for this bid. I guess better luck next time for you and me.

Darn. Thanks for calling. I'm truly surprised I didn't get at least "qualified", guess that's the reality check I need.

It just makes you wonder how the scoring really happens. Confident people drop, weary people make it. I know the people online doesn't represent everyone but it makes you think....
I didn’t know what kind of score I got, and I was worried that I did a little bad but apparently I did REALLY bad.

Yeah I guess I assumed if that email stated I "failed" then I failed the requisite score for regular ATC. Like if I got "well qualified" but "not referred" I might hold out hope but seeing I received what I did...one can hope I guess. It's funny, I actually felt decent about my ATSA, had 3 collisions total over 2 scenarios, and felt good about the reading comprehension part. While I've read a handful of people think they bomb and get a BQ lol. Maybe I was overly cocky.

My mind wants to keep pondering where I went wrong, or if I simply was ruled out due to the Personality section. I know it's not good to dwell though. I turn 29 this summer so maybeee next year! Trying to keep my chin up.
I turn 29 this year too, and if I don't make this bid I'm joining the National Guard in ATC.

Congrats to those who got BQ!

Bummer for myself, I only got qualified. I feel like they changed the algorithm for which category you are in. Weird though because I got qualified last year and was instantly not referred but this year i was referred as qualified.

Aww shucks. Got "Qualified". Oh well, congrats to everyone in "Best Qualified" category. I'll press on with other jobs for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom