FAA hiring

Motodog

Trusted Contributor
I ♥ pointSixtyFive
Transportation secretary Pete Buttigieg has now posted on the official FAA website the agency’s decision to begin preferential hiring of people with ‘severe intellectual‘ and ‘psychiatric’ disabilities, disabilities including hearing or vision problems, complete paralysis, epilepsy, dwarfism, etc.

Transportation secretary Pete Buttigieg has now posted on the official FAA website the agency’s decision to begin preferential hiring of people with ‘severe intellectual‘ and ‘psychiatric’ disabilities, disabilities including hearing or vision problems, complete paralysis, epilepsy, dwarfism, etc.
At least staffing will be better, there is a very similar posting like that for CIA agents.

The flying public already dislikes us for being gov employees, now they think we are a bunch of dumb DEI hires putting planes too close (AUS, VGT ect) this is all very much not helpful in any argument for more pay... we HAVE to have people on our side, and we HAVE to keep a safe and efficient system. The flying publics perception of us is huge.... and we are losing. NATCA needs to be fighting back ok this hard.

Grow the hell up. There is zero way they relax the actual testing standards (ATSA, OKC, or medical) for one specific group of people. If anything this just provides some people a more direct path into taking the ATSA in the first place. If they pass the tests, great, send them to the field. If they don't pass the tests, they don't control traffic.

What I'm saying is: If the flight surgeon and the OKC examiners and the OJTIs and the sup all agree that someone can work traffic then shut up and let them work traffic. If someone in the chain doesn't agree then you're all clutching your pearls about nothing.

If Motodog wants to post a link to the actual decision/policy then we can have a more informed discussion.

Grow the hell up. There is zero way they relax the actual testing standards (ATSA, OKC, or medical) for one specific group of people. If anything this just provides some people a more direct path into taking the ATSA in the first place. If they pass the tests, great, send them to the field. If they don't pass the tests, they don't control traffic.

What I'm saying is: If the flight surgeon and the OKC examiners and the OJTIs and the sup all agree that someone can work traffic then shut up and let them work traffic. If someone in the chain doesn't agree then you're all clutching your pearls about nothing.

If Motodog wants to post a link to the actual decision/policy then we can have a more informed discussion.
It’s official policy, it’s on their website moron

What if I told you there’s a lot more to the FAA than just ATC…. Damn some of y’all dumb as hell.
You’re right, it’s not limited to ATC, but all FAA hiring/positions

Only news I'm seeing on their official website is related to Boeing and the Max groundings. Besides, are you really out here arguing that the FAA is about to hire people who are "completely paralyzed" to work air traffic? Obviously not, everyone knows the only person who is completely paralyzed in the NAS is my trainee.

It’s official policy, it’s on their website moron
It has been official policy since at least 2014 off the top of my head. The individual who was coordinating the program jumped to TSA then back to FAA. He would come to OKC to brief managers about Schedule A hiring authority and enlighten people. The past two years and specifically this current PWTD/PWD announcement are geared more towards facilities (centers) that are accessible towards these individuals. As long as they can pass the medical requirements / ATSA that is all that matters.

Fwiw my first FAA job in 2014 was a GS-5 making 28k a year utilising the Schedule A non-competitive hiring authority.

Only news I'm seeing on their official website is related to Boeing and the Max groundings. Besides, are you really out here arguing that the FAA is about to hire people who are "completely paralyzed" to work air traffic? Obviously not, everyone knows the only person who is completely paralyzed in the NAS is my trainee.
It’s there, under Hiring, then Diversity. And it’s not just ATC. Pretty long article on it

Then it should be easy for you to copy-paste the link, right? So even a moron like me can read the policy and see how it might apply (or not) to the 2152 job series?

This is the most ignorant, pearl clutching reaction I've seen in a while. Guy acting like they're going to wheel some quadriplegic in to work the sector next to him or something...
Sorry man, I should have said it’s not specific to ATC at all. Just any/all FAA hiring

Sorry man, I should have said it’s not specific to ATC at all. Just any/all FAA hiring
who cares family guy GIF

Great! Thank you for posting the link.

Under the "People with Disabilities" section we have:
  • Targeted Disabilities. The Federal government has said that certain disabilities are to be emphasized in recruitment and hiring. Do you have any sources or reason to believe that the FAA is targeting people with such disabilities for 2152 hiring, or showing them preference in any way?
  • On-the-Spot Hiring. Managers apparently have the ability to hire someone on the spot if they fill out the required paperwork. Do you have any sources or reason to believe this is happening, particularly for 2152 jobs? My impression was that managers' ability to direct-hire previous 2152s who have left the agency has been severely curtailed by the new HR policies, for example. Is this different for PWTD?
  • Reasonable Accommodation. This can't be a bad thing, certainly. Remember that it has to be reasonable; for example if a Tower 2152 becomes paralyzed from the waist down and cannot climb stairs, it would be reasonable to offer them a staff job or a position at a radar-only facility without stairs—would you disagree?
Under the "Direct Hiring Authorities" section are:
  • 30% Disabled Veteran and Veterans Recruitment Appointment. Veterans receive preferential consideration for OTS hiring (Pool 1 vs Pool 2) and depending on the job announcement may receive preferential consideration for in-agency transfers. Are you saying you would like this to change?
  • People with Severe Disabilities. Those with disabilities such as "missing extremities, partial paralysis, complete paralysis, severe intellectual disability and psychiatric disability" may be fast-tracked in the hiring process, "upon meeting all relevant requirements." Do you feel like this is a problem? Are you concerned that someone with a documented severe intellectual disability will be given a waiver of the medical requirements or what?
Really and truly, what was the point of all this? Why did you bring it up?

Great! Thank you for posting the link.

Under the "People with Disabilities" section we have:
  • Targeted Disabilities. The Federal government has said that certain disabilities are to be emphasized in recruitment and hiring. Do you have any sources or reason to believe that the FAA is targeting people with such disabilities for 2152 hiring, or showing them preference in any way?
  • On-the-Spot Hiring. Managers apparently have the ability to hire someone on the spot if they fill out the required paperwork. Do you have any sources or reason to believe this is happening, particularly for 2152 jobs? My impression was that managers' ability to direct-hire previous 2152s who have left the agency has been severely curtailed by the new HR policies, for example. Is this different for PWTD?
  • Reasonable Accommodation. This can't be a bad thing, certainly. Remember that it has to be reasonable; for example if a Tower 2152 becomes paralyzed from the waist down and cannot climb stairs, it would be reasonable to offer them a staff job or a position at a radar-only facility without stairs—would you disagree?
Under the "Direct Hiring Authorities" section are:
  • 30% Disabled Veteran and Veterans Recruitment Appointment. Veterans receive preferential consideration for OTS hiring (Pool 1 vs Pool 2) and depending on the job announcement may receive preferential consideration for in-agency transfers. Are you saying you would like this to change?
  • People with Severe Disabilities. Those with disabilities such as "missing extremities, partial paralysis, complete paralysis, severe intellectual disability and psychiatric disability" may be fast-tracked in the hiring process, "upon meeting all relevant requirements." Do you feel like this is a problem? Are you concerned that someone with a documented severe intellectual disability will be given a waiver of the medical requirements or what?
Really and truly, what was the point of all this? Why did you bring it up?
Point is, DEI is, and will be emphasized over qualifications (Kamala?)

Back
Top Bottom