Florida Surge

They will for sure solve this with the academy. When they needed bodies in Puerto Rico like 5 classes in a row got screwed with multiple Puerto Rico mandatories

They will for sure solve this with the academy. When they needed bodies in Puerto Rico like 5 classes in a row got screwed with multiple Puerto Rico mandatories
Is there a limit as to how many times one facility can be on a list? For example, can ZOA or whichever facility appear a maximum of 2 times on the same list, or can it appear multiple times without any cutoff if that makes sense?

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

What exactly is the issue with ZJX’s staffing? On paper they look pretty healthy. They have average to above average current staffing for centers. They have the highest training success rate for centers outside of Guam and they have one of the top projected staffing numbers for centers. They’re eligible to release on NCEPT. Why is this place such a shitshow?

Are they working level 12 traffic with 11 staffing?

Is there a limit as to how many times one facility can be on a list? For example, can ZOA or whichever facility appear a maximum of 2 times on the same list, or can it appear multiple times without any cutoff if that makes sense?

Sorry if this question has been asked before.
They just change the placement rules whenever they feel like it. But usually it’s 3-4 max

What exactly is the issue with ZJX’s staffing? On paper they look pretty healthy. They have average to above average current staffing for centers. They have the highest training success rate for centers outside of Guam and they have one of the top projected staffing numbers for centers. They’re eligible to release on NCEPT. Why is this place such a shitshow?

Your last question is precisely what is happening. Our target staffing number of 241 is WAY too low. We are consistently in the top 4 facilities for operations worked. The facilities that are right around us in traffic count have target numbers between 290 and 340. ZMA is in the same boat we are I’m sure. It isn’t uncommon for us to have shifts with 6 or 7 CPCs per area. Each area here has 6+ sectors that are open most of the day. So the math just doesn’t add up.
I’m not a huge doom and gloom guy, but the way this place is running right now is not sustainable. And Florida is only getting busier….

Wasn’t the ATM fudging the staffing numbers to get their bonus?

The numbers misrepresent what is actually needed. Out of 20 centers INCONUS there are 13 centers that have a higher CPC target number than ZJX (241). This includes level 10’s, 11’s, and 12’s.

ZJX was consistently top 5 in traffic count pre Covid but they are currently seeing a huge increase. They probably need to be at a target number somewhere between ZFW (290) and ZDC (305).

Wonder how many trainees they currently have that would have been certified by now if not for the 2 years of bullshit training pauses.
According to the May PPT they have 32 trainees. Only Guam, San Juan, and Salt Lake have less.

Put me in coach.

But for real though, I wish I could get there lol. Maybe once they figure out the real staffing number they need I’ll be able to transfer ?

There’s no such thing as 12 staffing or 11 staffing. Staffing is based on the positions you have. And the ZJX CRWG Target number is clearly way off. Typical FAA though they won’t address the fuse until after the explosion.

Wonder how many trainees they currently have that would have been certified by now if not for the 2 years of bullshit training pauses.
No... think of it differently...

This is creating an opportunity for a perfect ZJX priority bid, to pick up only center people, level 11 or higher, and give them move money and a priority release!

NCEPT be damned!

Boom, ZJX staffing solved sooner then later.... I'm sure people stuck at ZOA/ZNY would take this over a hardship way out!

And all the people still left at those centers, well, keep working on that hardship paperwork!

Management

This is creating an opportunity for a perfect ZJX priority bid, to pick up only center people, level 11 or higher, and give them move money and a priority release!

NCEPT be damned!

Boom, ZJX staffing solved sooner then later.... I'm sure people stuck at ZOA/ZNY would take this over a hardship way out!

And all the people still left at those centers, well, keep working on that hardship paperwork!
The days of move money are long gone unless you go to N90/C90. Hell it might be gone all together if memory serves, I still remember the N90 bids offering $$$

Put me in coach.

But for real though, I wish I could get there lol. Maybe once they figure out the real staffing number they need I’ll be able to transfer ?
Alright you’re in! ZJX target number increased, expect to get NCEPT’d soon.

Your last question is precisely what is happening. Our target staffing number of 241 is WAY too low. We are consistently in the top 4 facilities for operations worked. The facilities that are right around us in traffic count have target numbers between 290 and 340. ZMA is in the same boat we are I’m sure. It isn’t uncommon for us to have shifts with 6 or 7 CPCs per area. Each area here has 6+ sectors that are open most of the day. So the math just doesn’t add up.
I’m not a huge doom and gloom guy, but the way this place is running right now is not sustainable. And Florida is only getting busier….
The crazy part is there is not shortage of CPCs trying to get into ZJX. It’s not like it would be hard to get the controllers to fill the slots if they upgraded.

Nah they’ll just assign the next 100 academy grads there and call it a day

NCEPT be damned!

Lol. In a perfect world. No way they short staff center facilities already hurting for people by taking current cpcs. every center is short.

Lol. In a perfect world. No way they short staff center facilities already hurting for people by taking current cpcs. every center is short.
The FAA Management is so terrified of being held accountable for negative press, which the ZJX situation has become nationwide, that they absolutely would short other centers to put out the fire at ZJX. Theres hardly any recognition in any of these articles of the multi year training process it would take to even get a transfer up to CPC at a new center. Let alone the god knows how many other facilities that have areas entire rosters working OT every single week, with sectors routinely combined when they normally wouldn't be if staffing was adequate. But theres so many bodies on the books that are not actively working traffic, that they cant figure out that the staffing at alot of these places is really hitting a critical level.

Theres zero care on the FAA's part that they are burning people out, and actively creating an unsafe situation throughout the NAS. The number of significant deals at the ARTCC level is skyrocketing, from a combination of inexperience and exhaustion on the controller staff. None of us signed up to work 50+ hour weeks, every week.

Nothing will actually get solved with the way the FAA is run, its totally disheartening. The type of person that seeks/gets "promotions" to management in this agency is not compatible with actual leadership and getting hard things done. They 100% want to avoid being like ZJX and being a story on NBC. So we'll continue to work 6 days a week forever and if we dont like it, tough. The most likely scenario some idiot in DC will come up with is sending 100 Academy grads in a row to ZJX, and then wondering why they aren't all training for 4 Hours a day.

Back
Top Bottom