Government Shutdown

So we stop getting paid after the 30th?
We stop getting paid for days worked after the 30th. The LES that comes out this Thursday (which is the 30th) will be for all of PP20, and we'll get the full PP20 paycheck on Tuesday 10/5.

Then (if the government does shut down) we'll get an LES on Thursday 10/14 that will only cover the the first five days of PP21, and we'll get a partial paycheck for those days on 10/19. After that, no more getting paid.

And that's without getting into the debt ceiling issue, which would be completely unprecedented.

I hear free leave in the winds…
I'm pretty sure free leave isn't a thing any more because they passed a law that made backpay guaranteed (even for people sent home) which is somehow connected.

We can use approved leave now, so that scam is gone forever. Now losing a medical temporarily might do the trick.
I’ll have to dig into the law, but I made out like a bandit last time. 2 weeks of annual and a couple terrible days of projectile vomiting.

We stop getting paid for days worked after the 30th. The LES that comes out this Thursday (which is the 30th) will be for all of PP20, and we'll get the full PP20 paycheck on Tuesday 10/5.

Then (if the government does shut down) we'll get an LES on Thursday 10/14 that will only cover the the first five days of PP21, and we'll get a partial paycheck for those days on 10/19. After that, no more getting paid.

And that's without getting into the debt ceiling issue, which would be completely unprecedented.

I'm pretty sure free leave isn't a thing any more because they passed a law that made backpay guaranteed (even for people sent home) which is somehow connected.
The debt ceiling is really a non issue though. The dems have the ability to raise it, and they will. They just don't want to do it all alone without any Republican support and take responsibility for all the spending they want and then inflation that will need to be created to fund it.

We can use approved leave now, so that scam is gone forever. Now losing a medical temporarily might do the trick.
YOU CAN use leave is not you HAVE to.

I believe it's seperate banks-there wasn't funding so you couldn't be in a paid leave status. That was unfair since you are entitled to your leave, you've already earned it.

Furlough is weird for us-but I think the last opm guidance was you can still take it, but it wasn't guaranteed paid (could be like lwop). If they didn't backpay through congress, you would have gotten nothing.

However, there is a bill that guarantees backpay during shutdown/lapses in funding.

Basically we are some of the few federal employees that are in a dumb position to have to report to work, so it's not fair you can't take leave, but the leave you take is up to you? Agency discretion-so please don't do something dumb like take NyQuil on september 30th.

Hey 2021 is up

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210928-083956_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210928-083956_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 71
I’m guessing my pay will be effed up once we start getting paid again?

Wasn’t there something about controllers getting paid out of a different fund if the govt shut down again?

I’m guessing my pay will be effed up once we start getting paid again?

Wasn’t there something about controllers getting paid out of a different fund if the govt shut down again?

How’s that Airport and Airway trust fund doing of late…. Hmmmmmm…

Last edited:
There were two shutdown-related bills a couple years ago.

One bill said that all government employees are guaranteed back pay in the event of a shutdown, not just essential employees like us who had to report to work. Congress had always passed laws granting them back pay after the fact, but now it's guaranteed. (Which means shutdowns are even more pointless than they were before, of course.) This is related to the "no more free leave" thing, either because of the backpay directly or as another provision of the bill, I'm not clear on the details.

This bill passed and is now a law.

There was a second bill, which NATCA lobbied for, that said we could draw from the Airways & Aviation Trust Fund to keep controller salaries going during a shutdown instead of having to wait for back pay. That bill did not pass, so we're in the same place as we were before.

The debt ceiling is really a non issue though. The dems have the ability to raise it, and they will. They just don't want to do it all alone without any Republican support and take responsibility for all the spending they want and then inflation that will need to be created to fund it.
Under current rules, 60 votes is required to break a filibuster and bring the vote to the floor. Last I checked, the Senate is split 50/50.

Also, care to explain why raising the debt ceiling now should should be any different than the 4 highest federal spending years in history (the 4 under Trump)? The Republican party supported and overwhelmingly voted for every one of those debt ceiling increases without a concrete spending plan in place.

Back
Top Bottom