Government Shutdown

There you have it. Not a mod, not gonna be one.
undercover rottweiler GIF by Show Dogs Movie

If the government does shut down will we still get paid on the 15th and then subsequent checks will be delayed or will the 15th also be delayed?
We will receive a full check on the 15th. And then we will receive 6 days on December 29th because we are funded through the 11th.

I believe that the guaranteed pay also allows the use of leave (since it’s a paid state), so no more free vaca’s for us unless you’re on EA.
The language is you cannot be in a paid leave status...
However, for some reason they made an exception last time-i do not believe that exception is in the bill. Look up gsa guidance

I wasn't around for that shutdown. Reading the article it looks like the argument is: the FLSA says you have to pay us something (at least minimum wage) no matter what; you didn't pay us on time; we deserve damages for being paid late (i.e. after the shutdown was over).

The suit hasn't been won yet, this was just the judge denying the government's motion to dismiss it out-of-hand.

Now I'm wondering for me, if the union prevails in this one case, does that set any precedent? Will it mean we get our paychecks regardless of a shutdown? I'm guessing not because of the Anti-Deficiency Act mentioned in the article. But will it mean anyone who works during a future shutdown can expect a "bonus" of minimum wage on top of regular pay, once they get paid again? Or would that require another lawsuit after the fact?

I wasn't around for that shutdown. Reading the article it looks like the argument is: the FLSA says you have to pay us something (at least minimum wage) no matter what; you didn't pay us on time; we deserve damages for being paid late (i.e. after the shutdown was over).

The suit hasn't been won yet, this was just the judge denying the government's motion to dismiss it out-of-hand.

Now I'm wondering for me, if the union prevails in this one case, does that set any precedent? Will it mean we get our paychecks regardless of a shutdown? I'm guessing not because of the Anti-Deficiency Act mentioned in the article. But will it mean anyone who works during a future shutdown can expect a "bonus" of minimum wage on top of regular pay, once they get paid again? Or would that require another lawsuit after the fact?
It means in 20 years you’ll get some check for $0.69 cents saying we won the lawsuit congratulations.

The FAA hasn't been funded in a budget bill since like 1994 if I remember correctly?
Yeah I think how it works is the FAA gets it’s own funding bills but if the department funding lapses it still shuts us down. I’m not exactly sure though.

I thought there was no way for a shutdown. But McConnell is literally doing nothing rn.
I was with you, thought for sure that the Georgia runoffs would make it essentially impossible. On several fronts, though, they don't seem to be as concerned as I'd expected. Still consider it unlikely, but my confidence isn't as high anymore.

Back
Top Bottom