Hardship deemed bona fide, now what?

Southern

Trusted Contributor
Recently I’ve been deemed bona fide for a hardship under Article 99, the service area I’m leaving and the gaining service area are the same. Since the hardship was deemed bona fide what are the next steps? Will I receive a list of facilities available in the area I’m trying to transfer to? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Recently I’ve been deemed bona fide for a hardship under Article 99, the service area I’m leaving and the gaining service area are the same. Since the hardship was deemed bona fide what are the next steps? Will I receive a list of facilities available in the area I’m trying to transfer to? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!
If the facilities you listed as alternatives on your paperwork are able to select you, they’ll be offered.
If none of the alternatives are able to select, you’ll be given a list of facilities available for you to choose from.

If the facilities you listed as alternatives on your paperwork are able to select you, they’ll be offered.
If none of the alternatives are able to select, you’ll be given a list of facilities available for you to choose from.

So when I submitted my paperwork, I just said the general area. I didn’t mention a specific list of facilities, the area I’m trying to go to has 6 different facilities, 1 center, 1 tracon, 4 towers. Based on everything I can find online, as long as the PROJECTED STAFFING is under 100% a facility will be offered, are there other factors that go in to that decision?

So when I submitted my paperwork, I just said the general area. I didn’t mention a specific list of facilities, the area I’m trying to go to has 6 different facilities, 1 center, 1 tracon, 4 towers. Based on everything I can find online, as long as the PROJECTED STAFFING is under 100% a facility will be offered, are there other factors that go in to that decision?
Not that I’m aware of. Just as long as those facilities are not higher than 3 levels from your highest certified facility and their staffing isn’t (I believe) 100%, they should be offered to you.

Not that I’m aware of. Just as long as those facilities are not higher than 3 levels from your highest certified facility and their staffing isn’t (I believe) 100%, they should be offered to you.

What if you are still a developmental? How does that change anything, or doesn’t it?

Also does anyone know how hardship transfers are viewed these days. Are they still viewed as training failures and if you dont make it at your next facility you are done?

What if you are still a developmental? How does that change anything, or doesn’t it?
It doesnt change anything . If you are at a 5 you can go up to an 8.

Also does anyone know how hardship transfers are viewed these days. Are they still viewed as training failures and if you dont make it at your next facility you are done?
I believe it varies by facility. Some don’t care because they are gaining a body. Most facilities understand it’s one of the only ways to transfer and they are cool with it. Just don’t go bragging about it because then people will think you were scamming.

I have heard stories of certain people at certain facilities giving hardship transfers a really hard time but this is ATC. You just have to have thick skin and understand that some people are jerks just to be jerks.

EDIT: I guess I didn’t read the whole question lol. The post below mine answered it. Though I do think what I said above is relevant.

Last edited:

It's always been explained to me is that if you don't certify for whatever reason and you move to another facility it's a training failure. For you and for the facility.

More than likely you will be assigned a facility. If you had a specific one in mind you'd list it in your hardship.

He will get offered all facilities in the area that are under 100% and meet the criteria.
That's not always the case and it's not a safe bet to say they will get a list. As someone who's been through the process in the Midwest I was told by the region if you leave it to just a general area they are within their rights to assign you any facility. If you have a specific facility in mind you should request that facility.

What criteria is there other than less than 100% projected staffing?
I'm not sure if the recent NCEPT changes had any effect on it but the criteria was below 100% staffed and no more than 3 level above your current facility. I'm guessing you're at ZKC so you won't have an issue with the last one.

That's not always the case and it's not a safe bet to say they will get a list. As someone who's been through the process in the Midwest I was told by the region if you leave it to just a general area they are within their rights to assign you any facility. If you have a specific facility in mind you should request that facility.

Interesting, I was told I could ONLY put that I wanted a geographical area. Regardless the center in the area according to the websites I’ve looked at is showing less than 100% projected so I’m hoping that’ll mean they’ll at least give me the center as an option since I’m already enroute and it would seem pretty silly for them to send me back to OKC for a couple of months when there is a center with availability.

Interesting, I was told I could ONLY put that I wanted a geographical area. Regardless the center in the area according to the websites I’ve looked at is showing less than 100% projected so I’m hoping that’ll mean they’ll at least give me the center as an option since I’m already enroute and it would seem pretty silly for them to send me back to OKC for a couple of months when there is a center with availability.
I think the contract specifically states that a person must state a city or list facilities that will meet their hardships criteria. How you did it wasn't wrong at all. I would think the FAA would send you to another center but hey it is the FAA we are talking about.

I think the contract specifically states that a person must state a city or list facilities that will meet their hardships criteria. How you did it wasn't wrong at all. I would think the FAA would send you to another center but hey it is the FAA we are talking about.
Ha, it seems like most of the center hardships are to towers. Heard of four to sought after facilities. With centers nearby that were short staffed.

I will also second that as far as I know, you will be considered a training failure since you will be leaving prior to certification. If I were you, I would try to find, in writing, exactly how you will leave and then make a facility determination (if offered multiple facilities) accordingly.

Anything that doesn’t result in cpc status is considered a training failure

Back
Top Bottom