Hardship questions

I'd hesitate to include the language. Hardships are ALWAYS at a fairly large cost to the agency. Unless you're willing to have $ deducted from your pay to pay your new trainer the training 10% until you certify, pay someone at your old facility to train your replacement, pay your replacement's salary, etc I'd be careful about how in-the-agency's-face you want to portray the whole no cost to them thing.

I'd hesitate to include the language. Hardships are ALWAYS at a fairly large cost to the agency. Unless you're willing to have $ deducted from your pay to pay your new trainer the training 10% until you certify, pay someone at your old facility to train your replacement, pay your replacement's salary, etc I'd be careful about how in-the-agency's-face you want to portray the whole no cost to them thing.
Considering it’s included as a requirement in A99, it should definitely be included. It’s an acknowledgement that you’re not entitled to PCS expenses

This is either the stupidest troll of .65 history or the worst advice I've ever seen.

Yeah, you know what you shouldn't do if you want to get your hardship approved, just don't submit all the required paperwork. That'll be super helpful.

+1 on it being an acknowledgment of not being entitled to pcs pay. Your tol, if your hardship is approved, will again mention this, and its on your fol twice that you're not entitled to pcs pay.

No one in the FAA expects PCS money with their hardship my dude. I'm saying the contract says you need to include a statement that your relocation is at no expense to the government, not that entire hardship is. Saying the entire hardship won't cost them anything, which is exactly what he quoted in his post, is pants-on-head retarded.

Do you guys know how one would get in contact with a hardship rep? I didn't realize there was someone dedicated to this specifically. I appreciate it!

No one in the FAA expects PCS money with their hardship my dude. I'm saying the contract says you need to include a statement that your relocation is at no expense to the government, not that entire hardship is. Saying the entire hardship won't cost them anything, which is exactly what he quoted in his post, is pants-on-head retarded.
and i appreciate the correction, what was meant is the relocation as I have read A99, I just wrote hardship by mistake.

Last edited:
I’ve been trying to find out if I qualify for a hardship, but have yet to find a concrete answer. I’m at a level 6 up/down, Cpc. My ex wife and kids are 9 hours away and closest facility is a level 10. I chose this facility when I got hired as it was the closest to my kids. Staffing at my facility is garbage, nobody is going anywhere anytime soon, but in my case, I only see my kids but twice a year and in my eyes it’s a hardship. The level 10 is ok on manning but projected to be about the same as where I am now. Would I be a good candidate for a hardship?

I’ve been trying to find out if I qualify for a hardship, but have yet to find a concrete answer. I’m at a level 6 up/down, Cpc. My ex wife and kids are 9 hours away and closest facility is a level 10. I chose this facility when I got hired as it was the closest to my kids. Staffing at my facility is garbage, nobody is going anywhere anytime soon, but in my case, I only see my kids but twice a year and in my eyes it’s a hardship. The level 10 is ok on manning but projected to be about the same as where I am now. Would I be a good candidate for a hardship?
By the contract, article 99 lists 3 fairly cut and dry reasons for hardship. 1) Medical necessity for you, spouse or dependent children. 2) you or spouse are primary caretaker of a dependent parent.

The last one is the only one you might be able to finagle: 3)
III. Transfer of an employee in case of an estranged family where
dependent children are involved and the transfer of an employee to
a different geographical area would allow the employee to
maintain contact with his or her children. Not all situations of
separation from children will be considered a hardship. In order to
be considered, the geographical separation from the children must
have been involuntary. Factors that should be considered are the
length of time of separation, the age, and health of the children.
---------_
Not sure of the details of your separation/custody, but if you voluntarily took the facility when hired, unless you can come up with a qualifying life change that has happened since being hired, I would say you are probably SOL. Not to mention hardships are limited to a 3 level jump cap, so lvl6 to 10 is a no-go.

Best of luck and hope you get an amicable resolution to your situation.

Hardship is restricted to a 3-level increase. Those level 10s would make that request ineligible, unfortunately.

By the contract, article 99 lists 3 fairly cut and dry reasons for hardship. 1) Medical necessity for you, spouse or dependent children. 2) you or spouse are primary caretaker of a dependent parent.

The last one is the only one you might be able to finagle: 3)
III. Transfer of an employee in case of an estranged family where
dependent children are involved and the transfer of an employee to
a different geographical area would allow the employee to
maintain contact with his or her children. Not all situations of
separation from children will be considered a hardship. In order to
be considered, the geographical separation from the children must
have been involuntary. Factors that should be considered are the
length of time of separation, the age, and health of the children.
---------_
Not sure of the details of your separation/custody, but if you voluntarily took the facility when hired, unless you can come up with a qualifying life change that has happened since being hired, I would say you are probably SOL. Not to mention hardships are limited to a 3 level jump cap, so lvl6 to 10 is a no-go.

Best of luck and hope you get an amicable resolution to your situation.

Thanks for the quick response, I had read that as well and didn’t know if anyone else might of had a similar situation with a positive result

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in a similar situation - at a level 6 and home was at a level 10. I was told a hardship would be pointless even if I meet the criteria due to the 3 level cap. I didn't even try to file the paperwork.

You took the job while the kids were living there, therefor it is not a hardship. If your ex took the kids and left AFTER you were working there it could be considered a hardship.

Does anyone know if length of recovery time for a hardship plays a factor in the decision? Even with a surgeons recommendation for 24 hour care?

Does anyone know if length of recovery time for a hardship plays a factor in the decision? Even with a surgeons recommendation for 24 hour care?
The whole thing is pretty subjective. The FAA will try to find all the reasons why moving you wouldn't help the situation, so the more you can do to make that difficult the better.

The thing I'm trying to wrap my head around (while I impatiently wait for good or bad news) is what do they mean by bona fide? In my experience bona fide means true and without deception, what is the faa's definition?

Back
Top Bottom