Holiday pay

there is a thing called the contract. It was made to make working conditions fair and equitable. The whole reason we have in-lieu Of holiday days is so that no matter what your RDOs are, you all get the same holiday pay. That way the most senior people can’t pick a line where they work most holidays and the most junior people never get them or vice-Versa.

Now You could argue that “well if you wanted holiday pay, don’t bid RDOs on the holidays” except we didn’t bid these days, they are all straight up assigned with this schedule (another contract violation). Now you’re not giving anyone any choice in their days on and off and now you’re going to arbitrarily decide who does and who does not get the chance to earn some extra money working a holiday, not giving people, who had no choice in their schedule, their in-lieu of day?

That’s pretty shitty and a huge violation of the spirit of the contract, if not the letter. With friends like you, who needs enemies?
If you bid leave on July 4th, you get free leave instead of money, how is this any different? We aren’t working so we got free leave instead. That’s contractual.
If you don’t like your line go back to the bws. I bet that’s a lost cause because everyone ikes their 5 or 10 off.

Last edited:
If you bid leave on July 4th, you get free leave instead of money, how is this any different? We aren’t working so we got free leave instead. That’s contractual.
If you don’t like your line go back to the bws. I bet that’s a lost cause because everyone’s likes their 5 or 10 off.
Choice. You have the choice to bid holiday leave. In this case it was assigned for you, you had no choice in the matter.

Don’t act like the faa is on this 5/10 or 5/5 for you. They basically got shamed/blackmailed into it by the union, because they did nothing as facilities all over the us were shutting down.

Choice. You have the choice to bid holiday leave. In this case it was assigned for you, you had no choice in the matter.

Don’t act like the faa is on this 5/10 or 5/5 for you. They basically got shamed/blackmailed into it by the union, because they did nothing as facilities all over the us were shutting down.

so it’s the unions fault?

They will laugh you out of the room.

I miss the holiday pay/diffs/OT too but not enough to complain about the best schedule we will ever see in our careers. Traffic is starting to ramp back up, passenger #’s are increasing, airlines are increasing flights in June onward so I doubt the 5/10’s will be lasting for more than another few pay periods at most.

so it’s the unions fault?
I never said that. The union was pushing the FAA to take care of its employees and protect the NAS, something the faa wasn’t too concerned about as long as training got done.

If the faa isn’t going to allow employees to bid their schedule, like the contract says they should, they should respect the holiday in lieu of. This situation isn’t spelled out in the contract, but if they are going to violate it, they can at least abide by the spirit, and that’s everyone gets the same holidays.

what days did you work around the holiday? Look at wmt and your schedule and what does it say on Memorial Day?
im crew b so my 5 days ended 5/22. Coded as “x” for sat, sun, and mon (Memorial Day) and “wx” for the next 5 days starting Tuesday the 26th.

I never said that. The union was pushing the FAA to take care of its employees and protect the NAS, something the faa wasn’t too concerned about as long as training got done.

If the faa isn’t going to allow employees to bid their schedule, like the contract says they should, they should respect the holiday in lieu of. This situation isn’t spelled out in the contract, but if they are going to violate it, they can at least abide by the spirit, and that’s everyone gets the same holidays.

you said the faa got shamed into it by the union, So if the faa had its way you would have received holiday pay, but then would have been shamed about not caring about the health of the workforce and keeping them at work. The faa or local managment at many facilities allowed people to bid this schedule, they were never told they couldn’t.

im crew b so my 5 days ended 5/22. Coded as “x” for sat, sun, and mon (Memorial Day) and “wx” for the next 5 days starting Tuesday the 26th.
Who ever approves and publishes your schedule hooked your crew up. Contractually the 3rd of 3 RDOs, holidays are paid out the last day work. You got hooked up. That was generous.

you said the faa got shamed into it by the union, So if the faa had its way you would have received holiday pay, but then would have been shamed about not caring about the health of the workforce and keeping them at work. The faa or local managment at many facilities allowed people to bid this schedule, they were never told they couldn’t.

Who ever approves and publishes your schedule hooked your crew up. Contractually the 3rd of 3 RDOs, holidays are paid out the last day work. You got hooked up. That was generous.
Your post illustrates the ad-hoc way that things governed by the contract have been applied to different people at different facilities. There should have been some kind of policy directive covering holiday pay but instead it was left to the local level.

Some places really have it out for their employees other places try to do everything they can for their employees. This is why there is a contract, to ensure a bare minimum standard across the board. I applaud the facilities who chose to hook their employees up as much as they could, and shame on the ones who chose to play paperwork games.

Your post illustrates the ad-hoc way that things governed by the contract have been applied to different people at different facilities. There should have been some kind of policy directive covering holiday pay but instead it was left to the local level.

Some places really have it out for their employees other places try to do everything they can for their employees. This is why there is a contract, to ensure a bare minimum standard across the board. I applaud the facilities who chose to hook their employees up as much as they could, and shame on the ones who chose to play paperwork games.
ncept is a national policy. Looks great for some places bad for others. You like the way you bid RDOs and leave? Local negotiations, great for some bad for others

you can’t have it both ways. And paying out one holiday or two holidays wasn’t going to happen When everyone is getting a ton of free leave while still getting paid. They could have just furloughed us. You want to see how quickly we all would have returned to work?

Edit: you need the money that bad? Why? Post it here, if it is determined to be legitimate by the mob of trolls and How about this, what’s your address and how much you would have made and I’ll send it to you, I’m always willing to help out a brother or sister in need.

Last edited:
I still find it hilarious that people go in one thread and chew out trainees for being frustrated and throwing out the “YoU sHoUlD bE gRaTeFuL yOu’Re NoT bEiNg FuRlOuGhEd” line, but then people go into another thread and bitch like crazy about missing a holiday or not getting hazard pay or some shit. All while people are still working 50% or even 33% of normal schedules.

I still find it hilarious that people go in one thread and chew out trainees for being frustrated and throwing out the “YoU sHoUlD bE gRaTeFuL yOu’Re NoT bEiNg FuRlOuGhEd” line, but then people go into another thread and bitch like crazy about missing a holiday or not getting hazard pay or some shit. All while people are still working 50% or even 33% of normal schedules.
Yah let’s see. I’ve missed 2 holidays like 10 Sunday’s. And about 200 hours of night differential. Natca pls. I didn’t bid this.

ncept is a national policy. Looks great for some places bad for others. You like the way you bid RDOs and leave? Local negotiations, great for some bad for others

you can’t have it both ways. And paying out one holiday or two holidays wasn’t going to happen When everyone is getting a ton of free leave while still getting paid. They could have just furloughed us. You want to see how quickly we all would have returned to work?

Edit: you need the money that bad? Why? Post it here, if it is determined to be legitimate by the mid of trolls and How about this, what’s your address and how much you would have made and I’ll send it to you, I’m always willing to help out a brother or sister in need.

Ncept had a noble intention but it’s an textbook example of the law of unintended consequences.

Locals are free to negotiate, but bidding a schedule based on seniority is not something you can negotiate away. Furlough is not something they can do when they have the budget to pay for pay. The agency is saving tons of money in differentials, overtime, training premium, Cic premium etc. it’s not at all selfish to want something that is in your contract, that you were denied.

You can’t have a contract that just refuse to honor it it when it suits you

Ncept had a noble intention but it’s an textbook example of the law of unintended consequences.

Locals are free to negotiate, but bidding a schedule based on seniority is not something you can negotiate away. Furlough is not something they can do when they have the budget to pay for pay. The agency is saving tons of money in differentials, overtime, training premium, Cic premium etc. it’s not at all selfish to want something that is in your contract, that you were denied.

You can’t have a contract that just refuse to honor it it when it suits you

article 34 spells out a work week. We are not working what our contract says we will work to earn our pay. try again with “you can’t have a contract to just refuse to honor it when it suits you.”
You are complaining about a couple hundred bucks when you have received a tremendous amount more in pay for time you did not contractually say you were going to.

edit:also where does it says schedules/leave are bid by seniority? It certainly doesn’t in the contract.

Last edited:
Yah let’s see. I’ve missed 2 holidays like 10 Sunday’s. And about 200 hours of night differential. Natca pls. I didn’t bid this.

You've also been getting paid night differential for certain days you are sitting at home on admin too. You can thank NATCA for that btw.

Back
Top Bottom