If I convert to Judaism, can I get Saturdays off?

FlightOfTheShortGuy

Trusted Contributor
Genuine question not even trying to troll. I believe I heard something that the agency will try to accommodate you with your religion or some shit like that. If not, why don’t I get Saturday pay if I work on a religious day? Isn’t that the whole point of Sunday Pay?

They get compensated for working on Sunday. I have never understood why Sunday pay is a thing but not Saturday pay. Seems old fashioned as not everyone in the US is Christian.
I dunno but it’s a whole federal government thing not an atc thing. It’s kind of old fashion but If we fucked around with it on religious grounds and equality we’d prolly be more likely to lose it then expand it.

Sunday pay is antiquated Christian BS but I'm happy to take my 5% raise, thanks much. Or we could just bump everyone 5% and get rid of Sunday pay, but again it's a government-wide law (5 USC 5546 or 5 USC 6128 if you're on a compressed schedule). So good luck changing that.

As far as Saturday leave: "Requests for annual leave, use of credit hours, compensatory time, or leave without pay to observe the Sabbath, or any other religious/ethnic holiday, or the employee's birthday shall be granted, unless staffing and workload do not permit" (Article 26, Section 3) but you ain't gonna get free leave or excused absence for it.

Sunday pay is antiquated Christian BS but I'm happy to take my 5% raise, thanks much. Or we could just bump everyone 5% and get rid of Sunday pay, but again it's a government-wide law (5 USC 5546 or 5 USC 6128 if you're on a compressed schedule). So good luck changing that.

As far as Saturday leave: "Requests for annual leave, use of credit hours, compensatory time, or leave without pay to observe the Sabbath, or any other religious/ethnic holiday, or the employee's birthday shall be granted, unless staffing and workload do not permit" (Article 26, Section 3) but you ain't gonna get free leave or excused absence for it.
Comp time is only a Sup thing right?

Comp time is usually given in conjunction with travel as an alternative to overtime, and it expires after one year. To my knowledge there's no limit on how much comp time you can have. Credit time never expires but you can only carry over 24 hours into a new pay period—except if you're a sup you can carry over unlimited credit hours. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Genuine question not even trying to troll. I believe I heard something that the agency will try to accommodate you with your religion or some shit like that. If not, why don’t I get Saturday pay if I work on a religious day? Isn’t that the whole point of Sunday Pay?
They get compensated for working on Sunday. I have never understood why Sunday pay is a thing but not Saturday pay. Seems old fashioned as not everyone in the US is Christian.
Spoken like a true aetheist neck beard m'lady. I would love to join in this circle jerk bashing religion. The whole nas gets bonus pay on Sunday because it was consistently understaffed. They cannot deny you leave for religious reasons, or if you were Jewish and worked x credit day you could then try and take Saturday off. It's not just Mormons at zlc getting 25%, it's not just atc. You sound smart enough to be a controller Trump 2024 will get us 25% on Saturday also. Maybe you should have brought this up before you renewed the contract

Spoken like a true aetheist neck beard m'lady. I would love to join in this circle jerk bashing religion. The whole nas gets bonus pay on Sunday because it was consistently understaffed. They cannot deny you leave for religious reasons, or if you were Jewish and worked x credit day you could then try and take Saturday off. It's not just Mormons at zlc getting 25%, it's not just atc. You sound smart enough to be a controller Trump 2024 will get us 25% on Saturday also. Maybe you should have brought this up before you renewed the contract
I personally renewed the contract for all of us!

We had a guy at my facility a long time ago who got a reasonable accommodation to not work Saturdays as he was Jewish. He wasn’t on leave, but he was just not scheduled on saturdays.

Back
Top Bottom