Is it worth it?

After years and years, I love how the narrative from NATCA and the apologists is evolving from "this is the best job in the world" to "this is the best job a low, niche skill person like you would ever be able to find so shut the fuck up and be happy with what was handed to you".
I’m not saying shit the fuck up and I’m not saying we shouldn’t coninute fighting, the question is, is the job worth it.

For many with no other options I’d say with the minimal hurdles to apply yes the upside is much greater than other options. But that’s subjective and comes with some negatives. Location, schedule, career options outside of your first facility.

But people shit on outside of the scope position and are often ignored and looked down upon. Once you get in and certify you can do nearly anything else. So controlling and scheduling might not be the best but in many cases can’t find a better option

I understand your current situation and am sympathetic you haven’t started training. That’s fucking yo and inexcusable.

Out of curiosity, is there any other job that you had access to that would pay you as much, with as good of health insurance options, social security supplement, pension, overall working conditions?

When I was 20 I got a job with my local Sheriff's Office. Spent a couple years there. In hindsight it was a solid gig, and I got in while it was still only 20 years before retirement. But for better or for worse I decided I didnt want to work around inmates for my whole life. Solid job but not near the money ATC offers at all. Other than that, no. Hell, I've never even been to college.

People do. Keep your head down. Carry training books everywhere during training and I'd suggest steering clear of the break room until certified. Just my advice. Wait to choose friends at work till after you're checked out.
Fuck that, enjoy your breaks. Training is stressful enough as it is. I would pick on my trainee if I cought him wasting a break studying.

Fuck that, enjoy your breaks. Training is stressful enough as it is. I would pick on my trainee if I cought him wasting a break studying.

I guess it depends how the trainee is doing. Do they struggle with SOPs, LOAs, and their map? If so, then they absolutely SHOULD be studying. If they're doing fine then by all means enjoy your damn break. That being said, usually a trainee can be helped with a small but targeted study assignment. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes, but it keeps you learning.

I guess it depends how the trainee is doing. Do they struggle with SOPs, LOAs, and their map? If so, then they absolutely SHOULD be studying. If they're doing fine then by all means enjoy your damn break. That being said, usually a trainee can be helped with a small but targeted study assignment. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes, but it keeps you learning.
You shouldn’t have to study much between your goes. If you can’t pick it up just applying it then it’s gonna be a tough road

Study during class for sure.

You shouldn’t have to study much between your goes. If you can’t pick it up just applying it then it’s gonna be a tough road

Study during class for sure.

100% agreed. Though, between sectors I definitely studied up on my breaks. Once you get into the sector you should be comfortable, or at least ready. A weekly go on Quizlet or whatever through your IAFs (if you have a lot of lows) and frequencies should be all you really need to keep up on things.

What a depressing thread.
Russell Crowe Gladiator GIF

Put your name on the board and ask your sup to show you on self study. I always loved sitting on a shitty sector for 2 hours to be told oh look at that we can train you now. Went in a few times and fucked stuff up, eventually realized the importance of break time.

Yeah it really is an amazing time to get one. Lots of vacancies after the mass layoffs. The industry is dying to pay $200k to prior controllers with an online degree in computer science.
The media is spamming this story because the people who still consume mainstream media love to see smarty-pants liberals who make 10x their income lose their jobs. While it is true that there are hiring freezes at some of the big tech companies and there are lay offs, a lot of the positions being laid off are non-technical roles like PMs and recruiters. The few friends I have who are SWEs and got laid off are spending their winter skiing/snowboarding while enjoying their severance and sifting through recruiter messages on LinkedIn.

Never made the jump but I have a CS degree from a completely average state school and get hit up by recruiters almost weekly specifically because I’m an ATC. Leidos pays former center controllers hundreds of thousands just to serve as SMEs so it should be no surprise that aviation/defense companies would love to hire someone who knows the user side and the technical side.

Lastly, I know plenty of people who have made the switch and someone who finished a degree while making AG pay at ZOA and is now making over 350k/ year at meta. So if anyone who is reading this was thinking about pursuing a degree go for it. Don’t let those haters with associates degrees in ATC management get you down.

The media is spamming this story because the people who still consume mainstream media love to see smarty-pants liberals who make 10x their income lose their jobs. While it is true that there are hiring freezes at some of the big tech companies and there are lay offs, a lot of the positions being laid off are non-technical roles like PMs and recruiters. The few friends I have who are SWEs and got laid off are spending their winter skiing/snowboarding while enjoying their severance and sifting through recruiter messages on LinkedIn.

Never made the jump but I have a CS degree from a completely average state school and get hit up by recruiters almost weekly specifically because I’m an ATC. Leidos pays former center controllers hundreds of thousands just to serve as SMEs so it should be no surprise that aviation/defense companies would love to hire someone who knows the user side and the technical side.

Lastly, I know plenty of people who have made the switch and someone who finished a degree while making AG pay at ZOA and is now making over 350k/ year at meta. So if anyone who is reading this was thinking about pursuing a degree go for it. Don’t let those haters with associates degrees in ATC management get you down.
I think Google hired like 40k last year then laid off 10k. Not much of a reduction in that context. A whole 3 months of hiring

Back
Top Bottom