Is it worth it?

It's dependent on locality, experience, and negotiating, but that is a realistic range although on the higher end. 130-150 would be more of the average for 1-3 YOE, but that is only base pay. 100% health premium is paid for, 10% of salary stock grant, discounted stock purchases, 50% match of the IRA max (19,500 currently), performance bonus... there's more but those are the main money points. If the claim is a fed is financially better off than a software engineer at google in any way, have fun dying on that hill.

It's dependent on locality, experience, and negotiating, but that is a realistic range although on the higher end. 130-150 would be more of the average for 1-3 YOE, but that is only base pay. 100% health premium is paid for, 10% of salary stock grant, discounted stock purchases, 50% match of the IRA max (19,500 currently), performance bonus... there's more but those are the main money points. If the claim is a fed is financially better off than a software engineer at google in any way, have fun dying on that hill.
"Everything about atc must be the best thing in the world, because it's what I do, and I cannot be convinced otherwise. In the name of the rattler, the prime time leave bidding, and weekday RDOs, Amen"

- best job in the world-ers (probably)

"Everything about atc must be the best thing in the world, because it's what I do, and I cannot be convinced otherwise. In the name of the rattler, the prime time leave bidding, and weekday RDOs, Amen"

For this and the greatest contract ever, we give thanks to Rinaldi.

I am hearing because of the CARES act military time counts towards 25 year for any age retirement, but not the 1.7 for ATC.
I haven’t heard anything on that front, but I too would love to see it. Only recent change I’ve heard is that people retiring before 50 can access their TSP now.

"For Trish and Rinaldi are the kingdom, and the power, and the GoFundMe forever."

- if you're ATCatholic

I haven’t heard anything on that front, but I too would love to see it. Only recent change I’ve heard is that people retiring before 50 can access their TSP now.
Screw that. How conservative of you to think you getting drunk overseas in Japan or some American base should qualify as time toward your retirement.

show me GIF by John Legend

Is this passed?

Says it on the page yeah.
So if I did 8 military and started my 2152 time in 2010, then I would be eligible to retire in 2027? With 17 years at 1.7% and the other 8 at 1%?

If true i feel like I should have known about this. Is the natca sponsored retirement "class" relaying this info? I took that back in 2018.

Thanks!

Screw that. How conservative of you to think you getting drunk overseas in Japan or some American base should qualify as time toward your retirement.
It already does count as time toward your retirement. I just want it to count toward my 25 years at any age, doesn't even have to count as good time. I mean come on, I played beer pong in the barracks for this country!

Depends on your willingness to accept risk and how you rank what's important to you. I think ATC is great if you just want to check in, work a little, and get paid a decent amount without having to invest a massive amount of money or time into learning—everything is also structured, so you don't really find yourself in the abyss of your own ignorance that often. It's also great if you like to have your rules set out for you and a nice retirement for you. The horrible schedules undercut a lot of the benefits, in my opinion. I have been learning full stack through the Odin Project and it's a blast. Wish I had started sooner.

One thing I love about my wife is her ability to take on risk in order to see large payoffs. As a business owner, she doesn't have the safety blanket that being a worker bee provides, but her upsides are far greater than mine will ever be if I stay in ATC. She also doesn't have to deal with rotten management, and now that she's had one business for over 5 years, her time off is just wild.

One last thing. I don't think that ATC is a glamorous as piloting, or as fun, but I love that I am home with my family every night and currently have weekends off, living in a spot I love. I also like that I contribute to the financial stability of my family. Do I plan on leaving the field? Yes, after the effort I'm putting into other ventures starts to bear fruit.

I do try to always remind myself to have a joyful heart.

So if I did 8 military and started my 2152 time in 2010, then I would be eligible to retire in 2027? With 17 years at 1.7% and the other 8 at 1%?

If true i feel like I should have known about this. Is the natca sponsored retirement "class" relaying this info? I took that back in 2018.

Thanks!
?

Yeah we have a controller who can retire this year because he found out military time counts towards his 25

It already does count as time toward your retirement. I just want it to count toward my 25 years at any age, doesn't even have to count as good time. I mean come on, I played beer pong in the barracks for this country!
We should cut that money, among so many other things, so we can support keeping the debt ceiling as is and not have to be shut down.

There are a lot of seasoned, veteran opinions in here that I am glad have been said so that someone like myself can hear what the job is like from that point of view. I've only been in the FAA for a year and a half and I havent even started training yet. This is slightly irritating to me, but the big picture is, I was never going to have a great career. I spent my 20s job hopping pissant jobs and had no idea how to get out of that. Well one OTS bid (and everything that goes along with that) later, and I have a prospect of success I never thought possible. I know from talking to my peers there are a lot of people similar to me.

I think this job can seem very different depending on your current station in life. If I was 10 years in and had a house and a side gig or pursuit funded by my main paycheck and knew I could breakout in a few years, I'm sure it wouldnt look nearly like the salvation that it currently seems like to me.

There are a lot of seasoned, veteran opinions in here that I am glad have been said so that someone like myself can hear what the job is like from that point of view. I've only been in the FAA for a year and a half and I havent even started training yet. This is slightly irritating to me, but the big picture is, I was never going to have a great career. I spent my 20s job hopping pissant jobs and had no idea how to get out of that. Well one OTS bid (and everything that goes along with that) later, and I have a prospect of success I never thought possible. I know from talking to my peers there are a lot of people similar to me.

I think this job can seem very different depending on your current station in life. If I was 10 years in and had a house and a side gig or pursuit funded by my main paycheck and knew I could breakout in a few years, I'm sure it wouldnt look nearly like the salvation that it currently seems like to me.
I understand your current situation and am sympathetic you haven’t started training. That’s fucking yo and inexcusable.

Out of curiosity, is there any other job that you had access to that would pay you as much, with as good of health insurance options, social security supplement, pension, overall working conditions?

I understand your current situation and am sympathetic you haven’t started training. That’s fucking yo and inexcusable.

Out of curiosity, is there any other job that you had access to that would pay you as much, with as good of health insurance options, social security supplement, pension, overall working conditions?
After years and years, I love how the narrative from NATCA and the apologists is evolving from "this is the best job in the world" to "this is the best job a low, niche skill person like you would ever be able to find so shut the fuck up and be happy with what was handed to you".

After years and years, I love how the narrative from NATCA and the apologists is evolving from "this is the best job in the world" to "this is the best job a low, niche skill person like you would ever be able to find so shut the fuck up and be happy with what was handed to you".
Yah idk where this concept is coming from but I don’t know why the workforce thinks itself as 1 step above McDonald’s

Back
Top Bottom