Medical Isotretinoin before academy?

wonk

Lurker
Would it be okay to take isotretinoin before attending the academy? I'm not prescribed anything at the moment.

I'm waiting for my scheduled medical exam. I'll definitely ask at the exam before I move on with any prescriptions but I'm curious if anyone perhaps went through something similar and could chime in?

The AME that you do your medical evaluation with. They will tell you if it's allowed or not, and how to go forward.

Would it be okay to take isotretinoin before attending the academy? I'm not prescribed anything at the moment.

I'm waiting for my scheduled medical exam. I'll definitely ask at the exam before I move on with any prescriptions but I'm curious if anyone perhaps went through something similar and could chime in?

Any update on this? Did you have any problems getting cleared while taking isotretinoin? I'm asking because I'm currently on a really low dose of it and I am waiting to test for the AT-SA

Any update on this? Did you have any problems getting cleared while taking isotretinoin? I'm asking because I'm currently on a really low dose of it and I am waiting to test for the AT-SA

Contact the AME for your region, experiences may vary because flight surgeons are allowed a lot of discretion. What one may allow another wont and some of it is dependent upon the reason why you take it.

Don’t do it.

I took it 11 years ago. They made me get an eye evaluation and explained not to take it again.

It’s not worth it. Request antibiotics and topicals.

This is the website I use to get a guess on what the flight surgeon will say. So far if it has been approved per the website I have yet to be told no from a flight surgeon. This includes all of the allergy meds, eye drops, nasal sprays, etc, I have taken. But again it is not a thorough or official list.

Don’t do it.

I took it 11 years ago. They made me get an eye evaluation and explained not to take it again.

It’s not worth it. Request antibiotics and topicals.

I got a similar (if not the same) request. Personal statement + eye exam.

Did they specifically ask about "isotretinoin"? Cuz in my email they're asking about "tretinoin" which is a topical cream in my case. I even asked if they meant "iso-tretinoin". They doubled down on regular tretinoin though.

I assume they’re a similar class of drugs. Different ways of being administered.

I’m not a doctor, nurse or anything like that.

I’ve had severe acne my whole life and have used isotretinon. It literally was the worst drug I’ve ever taken side effects wise. Not only that but it wore off after a couple months.

Again, if you’re wanting to use it for acne I’d suggest antibiotics and topicals.

Many topicals you can get OTC.

Benzoyl peroxide for white heads, salicylic acid for black heads and shoulders. There’s even retinoids you can use. OTC low dose versions of epiduo which are also very very effective.

Isotretinon is also commonly known as Accutane.

Back
Top Bottom