Leaving FAA for DOD

Strongwater

I'm currently FAA in a small low level facility and we are below national avg number to release anyone. I just got offered a position in the DOD in an area I want to be in thats close to family. Pay is pretty comparable. As far as benefits go is there anything I should be considering? Are FAA reinstatements pretty easy to follow through with?

I'm currently FAA in a small low level facility and we are below national avg number to release anyone. I just got offered a position in the DOD in an area I want to be in thats close to family. Pay is pretty comparable. As far as benefits go is there anything I should be considering? Are FAA reinstatements pretty easy to follow through with?
Not to hijack but to piggyback on this do you save pay if it is within the band and if you are above a GS payband do they put you to the top of the hiring band?

Everything benefits wise is exactly the same. Basic pay transfers up to step 10 (the top) of whatever grade you're hired for.
Reinstatements are incredibly subjective, so "easy" isn't a term I'd use.

If your DOD facility is represented by natca, that time will count. If it's not, the time you spend at the DOD facility doesn't count towards your FAA natca time, but you won't lose your current Natca time.

What happens to my seniority if return to the FAA after going DOD?
If your DOD facility is represented by natca, that time will count. If it's not, the time you spend at the DOD facility doesn't count towards your FAA natca time, but you won't lose your current Natca time.
Thanks

what is the possibility of reinstatement and or prior experience bid, im in the same boat and dont know if i should leave the agency or not

I am tossing this idea around.. If I am currently D1 making 59ish without locality. If I apply for a GS12 position would I be GS12 step 0/1, or would I be matched to a lower GS level that is closer to my current pay?

I am tossing this idea around.. If I am currently D1 making 59ish without locality. If I apply for a GS12 position would I be GS12 step 0/1, or would I be matched to a lower GS level that is closer to my current pay?
If it is an advertised GS12 spot than you would be paid GS12 step 1. Assuming that you don't currently make more than that. If you did than they would put you at the lowest step that wouldn't be a pay cut. That's base pay though. Locality adjusted it could still be a pay cut.

Get CPC before leaving for the DOD. It opens more doors to get back in. Also if your D1 pay is close to 60k, then I have to guess your CPC pay would be around 100k. You would start as a GS12 step 7-10. It takes close to 20 years to reach step 10 from step 1.

Back
Top Bottom