MMPI-2 Tier 2 Process

They had my records in a a couple of months or so. Once the flight surgeon looks at my record and approves it there shouldn't be more than a month of them figuring out what state/region I'm in and telling me the closest approved providers to go schedule with. The biggest issue is there is no communication from tier 2 to the applicants.

Also, since I've been told my file was reviewed and approved by the flight surgeon, who reviews it after my appointment?

My Medical HR POC told me Aug 20th that he has all my records and the flight doc has approved them and now he has sent my records to the Tier 2 people which are located in DC. ( He said it takes around 45 days to hear something from then) He was correct, it took exactly 45 days and i got an email from the Tier 2 people on October 5th. There are instruction to follow in the email and a week later i scheduled my Tier 2 Evaluation appointment on October 25th. And I asked my doctor who evaluated me to send me an email when she mails off my evaulation report back to the tier 2 people and she did on October 30th. I read somewhere that they have 45 days to approve/deny me, but who knows if that is accurate or not. Everyones timeline is different, obviously. But I am from Southern California.

My Medical HR POC told me Aug 20th that he has all my records and the flight doc has approved them and now he has sent my records to the Tier 2 people which are located in DC. ( He said it takes around 45 days to hear something from then) He was correct, it took exactly 45 days and i got an email from the Tier 2 people on October 5th. There are instruction to follow in the email and a week later i scheduled my Tier 2 Evaluation appointment on October 25th. And I asked my doctor who evaluated me to send me an email when she mails off my evaulation report back to the tier 2 people and she did on October 30th. I read somewhere that they have 45 days to approve/deny me, but who knows if that is accurate or not. Everyones timeline is different, obviously. But I am from Southern California.
Well I hope the 45 days for an email still holds correct, but I have a feeling it hasn't been white that since October. If it is I should hear back soon then.

They had my records in a a couple of months or so. Once the flight surgeon looks at my record and approves it there shouldn't be more than a month of them figuring out what state/region I'm in and telling me the closest approved providers to go schedule with. The biggest issue is there is no communication from tier 2 to the applicants.

Also, since I've been told my file was reviewed and approved by the flight surgeon, who reviews it after my appointment?

You go see the local doctor, then they send it back, psych in DC reviews it and makes a determination, sends it back to your regional office. Then they finalize and approve or deny it.

This is my first post here so I apologize if it is in the wrong place. I figured starting a new thread would be a better idea instead of trying to find a past one that fits my situation. I have hit a brick wall with my medical analyst and am hoping someone here might be able to give me some insight on what (if anything) I can do to help my process.

I took my MMPI in October 2017 and completed the drug test, fingerprints, medical exam, etc. in October/November. I hadn't heard anything back by February 2018 so I called regional medical and left a message asking for updates. I then received an email from my medical contact saying that I needed further evaluation. A day later, I received an email from Hope saying that I failed the MMPI, needed further evaluation and that necessary paperwork would be generated when a doctor was found to take my case. I heard nothing until June 2018 when I was asked to complete an SF180 to release my military personnel records; I completed and returned it the same day as I received it. I emailed my medical POC a few weeks later to asked if she received my files; she had not. I called my regional medical office in mid-July (because my medical analyst was not returning my calls) and was told my file was lacking my VA disability letter and personnel files. I sent my medical POC the VA letter back in November 2017 and she confirmed she received it, so that was news to me. I sent regional my VA letter and then asked my medical analyst what happened with the VA letter (why it was never uploaded) and for general updates, she ignored all of my questions and basically said there was nothing for me to do at this time. At this point (August 2017) I felt I needed to follow up on my personnel files so I contacted the USAF to see if they could help. I got in touch with a helpful representative that emailed my files to my medical POC. I confirmed with my medical analyst that she received them; she said that she did and that my file had been forwarded to the Tier 2 program for review and there was nothing more for me to do at this time. I have been stuck at this point since August and have not been provided and information on what comes next. I have asked for updates since then but have been told "there will be no updates until my file is complete with the Tier 2 program". I have asked my medical POC numerous times what the next step will be, to make sure that nothing is missing, if they need more information, etc., and all of my questions/requests have gone unanswered. I have left her voicemails that have never been returned. I have cleared all other steps and this Tier 2 is the only thing holding me up. I can't contact the Tier 2 people because in my original email, it said emails will not be returned. I have reached out to the Patriots email (as instructed by Aviation Careers) and regional medical and all queries were directed back to my medical POC instead of anyone else giving me answers. I feel as if I reach out to anyone else, they'll just redirect my questions to my analyst and I will end up frustrating her further. I can pretty much tell she's tired of me contacting her.

I am hoping someone here can enlighten me as to what comes next in the process? I realize that eventually I will get a doctor's name and an appointment, but is there anything that I could be missing that would be preventing me from getting an appointment? Are medical analysts not allowed to answer your questions or tell you the steps in the process? I have moved regions since my process started but still have the same analyst. I am applying for the May 2017 Experienced bid and am located in the Western Pacific region (I came from the Southeast region). I was a controller in the USAF but have since separated. I have had no legal trouble (misdemeanors, tickets other than speeding, etc) in my life or any disciplinary issues while I was serving. I rarely went to the doctor (maybe 3 times, only when I was very sick) while I was in the Air Force. I have never been to a psychiatrist or had any issues with mental health. I have sent my POC a fully copy of my military medical chart to try to help the process.

I realize this is a lot to read and hope it all makes sense. I am trying to be patient but it is difficult when I don't really know how far along I am or what is holding me up. Any information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I am in the same boat just waiting and waiting! My bid was in 2016

Hey guys I just got told today I failed my MMPI-2 I’m not a military background I’m a experienced atc civilian. I honestly have NO idea when it comes to this process. I read the previous posts can anyone shed some light? Will my process go a tad quicker because I don’t have to get any records from the military? I’ll be so pissed if I’ll be waiting 3 years after my bid came out.

I didn't have to go through the tier 2 process when I got hired, but I do know that military records aren't the only reason it takes a while. As stated in this thread there's only one POC for new hires in the process and it just takes time. There are still folks from previous bids waiting to get things scheduled, so be prepared to wait. while before you hear from anyone. I'd read through this website, stuckmic, and Reddit to get an idea of what others have been through.

Received the email from Hope this morning asking for my current residence location. In other people's experiences how quickly has the process moved once at this step? I'm not prior military if that makes a difference.

Received the email from Hope this morning asking for my current residence location. In other people's experiences how quickly has the process moved once at this step? I'm not prior military if that makes a difference.
I got that email, then about a week later was told that a provider had been located. Then you'll be told you can schedule your appointment. If you're from the 18 bid your notification seems to have come much quicker than those from the 17 bid.

To be clear though, I received the initial notification email and then heard nothing for months. Then received the email about them looking for a provider and asking for me to verify my place of residence.

I got that email, then about a week later was told that a provider had been located. Then you'll be told you can schedule your appointment. If you're from the 18 bid your notification seems to have come much quicker than those from the 17 bid.

To be clear though, I received the initial notification email and then heard nothing for months. Then received the email about them looking for a provider and asking for me to verify my place of residence.

Thanks for the info, I am from the 2018 bid. I never received any sort of initial notification email. I only found out about my tier 2 status after leaving a VM to my medical POC. I received an email response on 4/2/19 that I was tier 2, that I'd have to wait for further info, and to be patient because they were behind. This is the first email I've received from Hope.

Thanks for the info, I am from the 2018 bid. I never received any sort of initial notification email. I only found out about my tier 2 status after leaving a VM to my medical POC. I received an email response on 4/2/19 that I was tier 2, that I'd have to wait for further info, and to be patient because they were behind. This is the first email I've received from Hope.
I’m in the same boat as you. Received the email from Hope earlier today asking about my residence. Hopefully this goes by quickly, I’m in the northeast region. Idk if that helps or anything

I got one too. I was resolved to forget about the process. Now I am constantly checking my email again to make sure I dont miss anything lmao. They are just stringing us along

not to take the wind out of your sails but for expectation management here is where I am at VIA Tier 2

TOL: 6/08/18
CIL: 6/26/18
EQIP: 6/28/18
MMPI-2: 6/28/18
Medical: 7/10/18
Drug test: 7/10/18
informed MMPI failure: 7/13/18 (initially wasn't told I was flagged but the FAA requested additional information.)
information to schedule Tier 2: 2/4/19 (emailed POC weekly)
Tier 2 appointment: 3/20/19
Tier 2 appointment paperwork received by FAA: 4/15/19

Today I called my HR rep and she told me "Oh well it has only been 1-2 month I usually see these things take 6 months to a year."

Also I called and Email multiple people each week going from 7/13/18 to 2/4/18 to attempt to schedule tier 2 with Hope. Now I call once twice a month to check in with HR so I am constantly on their mind. Also I used to military advocate that works for the FAA and is supposed to solicit for veterans ect. Point being is I've exhausted every route I know of and I am expecting to wait another 3-9 months post tier 2 so... make sure you pursue other careers while you go through this process.

At least you got an appointment. Dates are rough but fairly accurate below.

12/27/17: TOL
06/05/18: notified mmpi failure and tier 2
09/01/18: told approved and sent to tier 2 for eval
02/01/19: asked for more info before scheduling

Told I won’t get an appointment until my BI is done despite my security interim being approved. Congressional and FOIAs are ongoing. It’s been nothing but a pain.

Is NATCA able to do something to possibly change this process? Some of us are prior FAA and or military controllers. You would think they'd want to get some bodies in these hard to staff facilities. Seems like the perfect kind of fight for NATCA. Someone earlier in this thread made a great suggestion, allow us to schedule our appointments just like all the other things we scheduled for our CIL. If the other posters estimates of 200-300 tier 2 were accurate back then, I assume they're higher now that bids have been more frequent.

I truly can't believe there is only one person to handle scheduling, wtf. That's crazier than all of us tier 2 wackos combined!

not to take the wind out of your sails but for expectation management here is where I am at VIA Tier 2

TOL: 6/08/18
CIL: 6/26/18
EQIP: 6/28/18
MMPI-2: 6/28/18
Medical: 7/10/18
Drug test: 7/10/18
informed MMPI failure: 7/13/18 (initially wasn't told I was flagged but the FAA requested additional information.)
information to schedule Tier 2: 2/4/19 (emailed POC weekly)
Tier 2 appointment: 3/20/19
Tier 2 appointment paperwork received by FAA: 4/15/19

Today I called my HR rep and she told me "Oh well it has only been 1-2 month I usually see these things take 6 months to a year."

Also I called and Email multiple people each week going from 7/13/18 to 2/4/18 to attempt to schedule tier 2 with Hope. Now I call once twice a month to check in with HR so I am constantly on their mind. Also I used to military advocate that works for the FAA and is supposed to solicit for veterans ect. Point being is I've exhausted every route I know of and I am expecting to wait another 3-9 months post tier 2 so... make sure you pursue other careers while you go through this process.
That's pretty rough. Whereabouts in the US are you at? I am curious to see if location dictates pace. Maybe the availability of AMEs

That's pretty rough. Whereabouts in the US are you at? I am curious to see if location dictates pace. Maybe the availability of AMEs
Im in Texas which brings up another interesting point...

I waited 6 month to get my POC and set my teir 2 appointment, but I had moved from NC to Texas and most importantly I notified everyone except Hope about the move (because I didn't have her contact information up until she emailed me the physiatrists information) and she set me up with a NC provider. I asked If she could give me info for a Texas provider and she said "yes, we will just have to reset the process" . FML right, anyway I just told her Id fly to NC, get a rental car, and a hotel and had the appointment there (NC) instead of waiting another 6 months. (Cost about 1000$)

Last edited:

I'm in the Great Lakes Region. Which doesn't matter because Tier 2 is handled in D.C. only.

I did find out that tier 2 is absolutely refusing to move forward without my BI. Despite having all court documents, my personal statements, having disclosed every single thing, a prior T3 clearance with BI conducted that's still active, etc. They want the BI and security check completed.

I contacted NBIB who does it, they said it's still pending close to 14 months of having it scheduled. I called security POC and requested they request the adjudication be expedited. She said she'd request but if it's going to cost the FAA more they won't do it. I told her I'd be willing to pay for it depending on cost.... waiting to hear back. Also put a congressional inquiry in to see if they can get it moving.

The worst part about tier 2 is that you just sit here for months and hear nothing. Then they expect tons of documentation from years ago on a moments notice.

Im in Texas which brings up another interesting point...

I waited 6 month to get my POC and set my teir 2 appointment, but I had moved from NC to Texas and most importantly I notified everyone except Hope about the move (because I didn't have her contact information up until she emailed me the physiatrists information) and she set me up with a NC provider. I asked If she could give me info for a Texas provider and she said "yes, we will just have to reset the process" . FML right, anyway I just told her Id fly to NC, get a rental car, and a hotel and had the appointment there (NC) instead of waiting another 6 months. (Cost about 1000$)
Wow. That's a rough road. So it took you approximately 6months from when they asked where you were living to get your psych eval? How was the process after the appt?

Back
Top Bottom