NATCA leadership on those leaving the union

My 4 year old son just came in from the kiddy pool shaking. Thought he was just cold until he said:

"Daddy, why do u have to work 6 days a week and miss all my games? And why did NATCA not attempt to bargain on the CBA, are we going to be able to keep the house!? Why is everything so expensive, it feels like.the world is ending!"

Heartbreaking ?. They grow up so fast!
Many such cases

No we haven't, 1.5% per year for five years is not 11. Those are our contract raises. The other ones were given to federal employees. Your only contract raises is 1.5% in the summer
Okay guys let’s be serious. It’s 1.6% every June first full pay period. Federal raises don’t count. We are not the only union government workers, you think they have better raises?
We have had 6, 1.6% raises so far. The first one in June of 2016 was 1.6% as a ratification of the CBA. That equals 9.6% over the past 6 years. Not compounding.

Over the past 4 years, my salary has increased 18%. Yes we had one year that is insane inflation, but what about those other years where we ended up ahead?

So what are we talking about? Do the math yourself. New salary minus old salary. Divide by old salary. Multiple by 100.

Yes I would love for 10% pay raises. Then everyone would bitch how we didn’t get 20%. At least we get the crumbs.

Okay guys let’s be serious. It’s 1.6% every June first full pay period. Federal raises don’t count. We are not the only union government workers, you think they have better raises?
We have had 6, 1.6% raises so far. The first one in June of 2016 was 1.6% as a ratification of the CBA. That equals 9.6% over the past 6 years. Not compounding.

Over the past 4 years, my salary has increased 18%. Yes we had one year that is insane inflation, but what about those other years where we ended up ahead?

So what are we talking about? Do the math yourself. New salary minus old salary. Divide by old salary. Multiple by 100.

Yes I would love for 10% pay raises. Then everyone would bitch how we didn’t get 20%. At least we get the crumbs.
We bitch cus they didn’t even ask for anything at all 2 years before the contract was up. They could be negotiating right now with the information that we now know

We bitch cus they didn’t even ask for anything at all 2 years before the contract was up. They could be negotiating right now with the information that we now know
Valid response. Honestly you and others have posted how we are in the dark as members. I agree. To me, it seems NATCA National has forgot about the new guy, Barry McCaulkiner at LBB. They post wonderful pictures, eating amazing dinners, while we miss dinners with family and friends. And then announce they did something great like remove gender specific pronouns from the .65. What next?

Valid response. Honestly you and others have posted how we are in the dark as members. I agree. To me, it seems NATCA National has forgot about the new guy, Barry McCaulkiner at LBB. They post wonderful pictures, eating amazing dinners, while we miss dinners with family and friends. And then announce they did something great like remove gender specific pronouns from the .65. What next?
I just don’t think there was any way we’d come out with a pay cut. Not with this administration. At the least we could have gotten some quality of life improvements. Or maybe so adjustments to premiums

Don't forget hundreds of controllers have been "downgraded " in that same time frame, as well as possibly thousands who are capped out (many far far below the Congressional cap).

You don't have to be a negotiator to know that the people you are paying to represent you should've at minimum let it's membership know they intended to extend the CBA.
It is extremely hypocritical that Many dont care to participate AT ALL small scale, then act surprised the contract was up nationally and did absolutely nothing about it and then complain they werent notified or their voices werent heard. These are the same people who complain about the annual leave mou or whatever as if it doesn’t happen every damn year. It’s so lazy and reactive rather than proactive. now they will be disregarded again for their complaints rather than actually being involved in the process.

You’re like the kid who complains about the refs as if their shitty play didn’t contribute to their loss.

It is extremely hypocritical that Many dont care to participate AT ALL small scale, then act surprised the contract was up nationally and did absolutely nothing about it and then complain they werent notified or their voices werent heard. These are the same people who complain about the annual leave mou or whatever as if it doesn’t happen every damn year. It’s so lazy and reactive rather than proactive. now they will be disregarded again for their complaints rather than actually being involved in the process.

You’re like the kid who complains about the refs as if their shitty play didn’t contribute to their loss.
How blind are you? Or can you not see because the NATCA jizz is dripping from your face and into your eyes?

How blind are you? Or can you not see because the NATCA jizz is dripping from your face and into your eyes?
I’m not blind. They did not tell us. This is power not trusting the masses at its finest. This isn’t the first time we have experienced this in our life. Why is this surprising to these people? I agree with all the legitimate gripes. But leaving the union is hardly the answer. Bitching on .65 is hardly the answer. You will still receive all the benefits of being a union member. And Many of these people will actively do everything to fuck with the local. Fuck with national. Fuck with managment. Fuck with coworkers. It’s a pathetic attempt to be heard. They will not get involved whatso ever and hope they get theirs while the powers that be get punished when you and I both know they won’t.

Just be involved and help. It’s hard to be involved but that’s the answer.

I’m not blind. They did not tell us. This is power not trusting the masses at its finest.
The whole point of a union is to have a voice against power. The "power" is supposed to be management not our union officials though.

This isn’t the first time we have experienced this in our life. Why is this surprising to these people? I agree with all the legitimate gripes. But leaving the union is hardly the answer. Bitching on .65 is hardly the answer. You will still receive all the benefits of being a union member. And Many of these people will actively do everything to fuck with the local. Fuck with national. Fuck with managment. Fuck with coworkers. It’s a pathetic attempt to be heard.
Straw man.

They will not get involved whatso ever and hope they get theirs while the powers that be get punished when you and I both know they won’t.
I mean clearly we are all petty children with no idea the huge sacrifices national makes on our behalf at these high dollar steak dinners and fundraisers etc. Our involvement is either required or it's not, you need to pick one.

Just be involved and help. It’s hard to be involved but that’s the answer.
It's hard to be involved when the union seems deadset on most levels at actively dissuading many from doing so.

We pay to have representation. Should I study law to defend myself if I ever get divorced or get sued? I pay a lawyer and I expect him to work for me. It’s not about being lazy, it is about the fact we aren’t being represented to the full extent.

We pay to have representation. Should I study law to defend myself if I ever get divorced or get sued? I pay a lawyer and I expect him to work for me. It’s not about being lazy, it is about the fact we aren’t being represented to the full extent.
It is about being lazy. They complain when they don’t know the process, not even a little bit, then complain about the process.

The whole point of a union is to have a voice against power. The "power" is supposed to be management not our union officials though.

Straw man.

I mean clearly we are all petty children with no idea the huge sacrifices national makes on our behalf at these high dollar steak dinners and fundraisers etc. Our involvement is either required or it's not, you need to pick one.

It's hard to be involved when the union seems deadset on most levels at actively dissuading many from doing so.
It’s hard to be involved not just because of the union, even when you make sense the workforce is suspect and unreasonable also and have zero clue as to how things work at the local level. So let’s not pretend this is solely on the union just because they are being paid.

Even the local facreps who get elected on a political platform of change and transparency take advantage for every nickel and free time off the boards as soon as they take over. New boss same as the old boss.

It is about being lazy. They complain when they don’t know the process, not even a little bit, then complain about the process.

It’s hard to be involved not just because of the union, even when you make sense the workforce is suspect and unreasonable also and have zero clue as to how things work at the local level. So let’s not pretend this is solely on the union just because they are being paid.

Even the local facreps who get elected on a political platform of change and transparency take advantage for every nickel and free time off the boards as soon as they take over. New boss same as the old boy

Even the local facreps who get elected on a political platform of change and transparency take advantage for every nickel and free time off the boards as soon as they take over. New boss same as the old boss.
Perfect example. Members want something to change with how leadership is running things and they get called lazy and misinformed. When the leaders are the ones that are lazy and misinformed with the issues affecting controllers.

The only way to fight against our own leadership may have to be with lawyers and new leadership. Shit, maybe a whole new union at this point.

Perfect example. Members want something to change with how leadership is running things and they get called lazy and misinformed. When the leaders are the ones that are lazy and misinformed with the issues affecting controllers.

The only way to fight against our own leadership may have to be with lawyers and new leadership. Shit, maybe a whole new union at this point.
Locally it’s very easy to not be lazy and misinformed without the help of the local facrep. Nationally is more difficult I’ll agree.

Don’t be misinformed and outsmart them. Especially at the small facilities.

Well to be honest you need 20% of workforce to unionize, which at smaller facilities could be easy. Especially if you called it natcta and just said it's for those that support and want to fight for getting trainees trained to allow for movement around the nas

We pay them to do it. We don’t have to “participate” whatever that means. Plus we have to work the traffic so they can go “negotiate”. Plus you say to be involved locally but my local leadership had no idea about the contract being extended either

Back
Top Bottom