NATCA leadership on those leaving the union

The explanation I’ve heard from lower level natca leadership is that once Paul and Trish were gone and so went their vast network of bipartisan support. And that they were afraid to let a brand new team, Santa and bovidge, negotiate due to their lack of experience. I think it’s a crock tho, both of the “new” leadership have been RVPs for forever
I heard it was because we would add paid parental leave to the contract and the we’re afraid the agency would take something for something. Also heard it was because they worried about the last presidency and started negotiating under trump administration, once Biden took office it was hard to go back and say we want more. Your reason makes sense.

I think it’s a crock tho, both of the “new” leadership have been RVPs for forever

yep.

ac0fc2d661333c8d3f5f5c20e52fbbcc_w200.gif

I heard it was because we would add paid parental leave to the contract and the we’re afraid the agency would take something for something. Also heard it was because they worried about the last presidency and started negotiating under trump administration, once Biden took office it was hard to go back and say we want more. Your reason makes sense.
Uhh paid parental leave was added by the senate without us

Why would they be afraid of losing anything in such a work friendly administration that has no regard for budget deficits or spending whatsoever? An administration that is polling very poorly and would do anything in their power to keep as many of their working class voters as happy as they can. You really think the Democrats would want to piss off a union as powerful and mighty as ours and paint themselves in a bad light by making our conditions worse than we had under Trump?

Personally I’m in favor of the extension. It’s certainly debatable.
Also there’s plenty in the slate book I don’t like and would wish to improve.
But this post implies trying is free. Maybe we should have tried. But it would not be free. Trying would be financially expensive. It would also be risking previous victories. It’s a negotiation. Some things you like might have to be traded away. Some things could be lost outright in arbitration.
The post also implies renegotiation was never considered. Of course it was considered.
Risking previous victories or changing is all part of voting.. when you have enough legitimate votes for a change, then that previous victory isn't popular anymore and the people want change.

Why would they be afraid of losing anything in such a work friendly administration that has no regard for budget deficits or spending whatsoever? An administration that is polling very poorly and would do anything in their power to keep as many of their working class voters as happy as they can. You really think the Democrats would want to piss off a union as powerful and mighty as ours and paint themselves in a bad light by making our conditions worse than we had under Trump?
A large percentage of us are upper class.

The administration is work friendly yes, but we didn’t know about the approval rating until too late in the process. Not sure how much approval ratings have in contract negotiations though

A large percentage of us are upper class.
Upper class is a misnomer, as the metrics for that have changed decade after decade. Class used to be designated by what your salary afforded you a not explicitly a numerical representation. Middle class USED to mean a single wage earner easily supporting the baseline needs and most wants for a family of 4+, and then a rough financial value was attached to that. Upper class USED to mean multiple residences, costly leisure pursuits, AND the ability to walk away from the job market for periods of time when needed or wanted due to accumulation of some form of generational wealth.

Now "middle class" is only correlated to the median household income and, depending upon where you want to get your made-up parameters from, "upper class" can be designated as starting from anywhere of 50% above the national median to 300% above the median. Considering the median household income is around $65k, some entities classify $97k as "upper class" and some don't begin that designation until $250k.

People who make policy will do anything to drive a wedge between working, middle, and upper-middle classes; when all 3 should be realizing they are all equally economically vulnerable. A center controller couple pulling $350k+ have more in common with a "middle class" household than they do with someone from the older parameters of "upper class."

The explanation I’ve heard from lower level is that the union was in jeopardy of existing with the Trump administration and when the Biden administration got elected they didn’t want to risk negotiations because you stand to loose everything you gain
yeah I heard that too, forgot about that one, that they were trying to get an extension under trump to save themselves from the EO and once he lost they couldn’t go back and try to get a better deal. Not really sure either way. This could be easily rectified with some transparency. Without it, there will be endless speculation, some reasonable, some conspiratorial

All I want is a 32hr work week. No forced OT.

Also, I don't really consider any of us "upper class". I'd barely consider us a large percentage of controllers as "upper middle class" unless you're at a 12 in a cheap cost of living area.

All I want is a 32hr work week. No forced OT.

Also, I don't really consider any of us "upper class". I'd barely consider us a large percentage of controllers as "upper middle class" unless you're at a 12 in a cheap cost of living area.
32 hr workweek? Is this a thing people actually advocate for?

Why do you assume we wouldn't have to give something up, to get those things? What leads you to believe the government would just give us more money/time off????
Because we don’t actually have anything that is that special. Our pension is the same or worse as the law enforcement pension. Having a special pay scale about GS is done in a lot of agencies.

So what could they honestly take away? What do we have that the faa would like us not to have? Plus aren’t all the sup salaries based of ours? So any raise would be good for them

Back
Top Bottom