Overtime Mid Question

CF

Assistant to the Regional Moderator
I ♥ pointSixtyFive
Hey all,

I work at a 27/7 tower with a mid shift that goes 2140-0540.

I wanted to ask how other places do overtime mids as far as who is eligible to work them. The way we do it now is that we wont call in someone for an OT mid if that shift would represent them working on their 2nd RDO.

Example is if I had Thursday and Friday as my RDOs they wouldn't call me for the mid that starts Thursday night and ends Friday morning because it would cause me to be in the facility for some amount of time for 7 days straight. They will call you in for the Wednesday to Thursday mid since you would have all of Friday off. How does everyone else do this?

Our normal shift rotation is swing/swing/day/day/mid.

Thank you!

You maintain a list of eligible people for OT and call from the list. Either on the Yes list or the No list. If the number of OT hours is even, it goes by top seniority down. If someone eligible has less, they get the first opportunity. Very easily done in web scheduler. Nothing to do with first or second RDO.

Also the fact that your mid hours start on one day shouldn't be considered "2 days" for the 7 consecutive day rule.

Hey all,

I work at a 27/7 tower with a mid shift that goes 2140-0540.

I wanted to ask how other places do overtime mids as far as who is eligible to work them. The way we do it now is that we wont call in someone for an OT mid if that shift would represent them working on their 2nd RDO.

Example is if I had Thursday and Friday as my RDOs they wouldn't call me for the mid that starts Thursday night and ends Friday morning because it would cause me to be in the facility for some amount of time for 7 days straight. They will call you in for the Wednesday to Thursday mid since you would have all of Friday off. How does everyone else do this?

Our normal shift rotation is swing/swing/day/day/mid.

Thank you!

Does your facility have a mid shift that starts at midnight? It's super common for facilities to have mids like yours, then also have a midnight one for sundays. In this situation, you could be eligible for that, and they use holdover OT for an eve shift to stay until then. That's how we've done it at the facilities I've been.

Although if your facility really has 27 hours in a day, the logistics are probably different ;)

Also the fact that your mid hours start on one day shouldn't be considered "2 days" for the 7 consecutive day rule.

You need a full 24 hour day off. Also I don't think he was confused about the way a list is kept, just who is eligible for mids

Does your facility have a mid shift that starts at midnight? It's super common for facilities to have mids like yours, then also have a midnight one for sundays. In this situation, you could be eligible for that, and they use holdover OT for an eve shift to stay until then. That's how we've done it at the facilities I've been.

Although if your facility really has 27 hours in a day, the logistics are probably different ;)

You need a full 24 hour day off. Also I don't think he was confused about the way a list is kept, just who is eligible for mids

yes, so unless your first day back is scheduled to start at or prior to 0540 you should be eligible. the way he stated it makes it seem that they are saying you are in the facility on 2 calender days because of the mid, and that is not the rule.

Yeah I'm not asking about the yes/no list I am just saying our facility won't call you for a OT Mid For that second RDO because someone in the past thought it was breaking some rule. They will call you for an OT mid the day after your normal mid though.

Does anyone know if there is something written about this in the contract or an order?

Edit: Our Sunday mid is the only one that starts at midnight.

Our mid's run 2200-0700. We can be called or assigned the overtime mid for either of our RDO's. I'm not sure exactly where as I don't have one in front of me but I would bet it's in the 7210.3 where it would outline the shifts and eligibility to work that 2nd RDO overtime mid. Your facility should have a copy.

Our mid's run 2200-0700. We can be called or assigned the overtime mid for either of our RDO's. I'm not sure exactly where as I don't have one in front of me but I would bet it's in the 7210.3 where it would outline the shifts and eligibility to work that 2nd RDO overtime mid. Your facility should have a copy.
You guys have 9 hour mids?

Scheduled OT mids are rarely placed on the 2nd RDO at places I've worked (it was commonly on the 2nd RDO for a few months, then we had that stopped.)
Call-in OT it didn't matter...just go down the OT list until someone takes it.

yes, so unless your first day back is scheduled to start at or prior to 0540 you should be eligible. the way he stated it makes it seem that they are saying you are in the facility on 2 calender days because of the mid, and that is not the rule.

Yeah, I've never been in a facility that worked that way. "Do not work more than 6 consecutive days" has always been interpreted as you must have a full calendar day off.

Yeah I'm not asking about the yes/no list I am just saying our facility won't call you for a OT Mid For that second RDO because someone in the past thought it was breaking some rule. They will call you for an OT mid the day after your normal mid though.

Does anyone know if there is something written about this in the contract or an order?

Edit: Our Sunday mid is the only one that starts at midnight.

The reference for not working more than six consecutive days is
2-5-1

Yeah, typically our Sunday was the only scheduled one. Any time someone only had one RDO or was called in for OT on their second RDO though, it would start at midnight as well.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. This helped clear things up.

Back
Top Bottom