Per Diem Question

becampbell

Lurker
How exactly does Per Diem get paid out? Does it get added onto the normal pay check, a separate check or something else entirely?

Apologies if this has already been answered, I just couldn't find it then.

How exactly does Per Diem get paid out? Does it get added onto the normal pay check, a separate check or something else entirely?

Apologies if this has already been answered, I just couldn't find it then.
Separate check. You’ll go to the travel office a couple weeks into basics and fill out some paperwork on The E2 travel website and you’ll get reimbursed for travel to the academy and the first few weeks of per diem. After that you’ll file paperwork on your own I believe every three weeks

Thank you for the reply. I guess i will need to have savings for food for the first weeks. For the food reimbursement, how do they decide how much to reimburse you? Is it a set amount for everybody or it depends on how much you spent/ are spending? Do they need to see supermarket receipts?

It's the same amount for everyone. No receipts needed.
Thank you for the reply. I guess i will need to have savings for food for the first weeks. For the food reimbursement, how do they decide how much to reimburse you? Is it a set amount for everybody or it depends on how much you spent/ are spending? Do they need to see supermarket receipts?

Separate check. You’ll go to the travel office a couple weeks into basics and fill out some paperwork on The E2 travel website and you’ll get reimbursed for travel to the academy and the first few weeks of per diem. After that you’ll file paperwork on your own I believe every three weeks

I have a second question i hope you dont mind answering. I was told that i would be given a travel voucher when i call a number once i get my packet. It also says this on the FAA site. So, this isn't true? I'll have to pay out of pocket for my travel and then get reimbursed later?

I have a second question i hope you dont mind answering. I was told that i would be given a travel voucher when i call a number once i get my packet. It also says this on the FAA site. So, this isn't true? I'll have to pay out of pocket for my travel and then get reimbursed later?
You will book through a travel agent the FAA uses. You will not pay out if pocket for the flight. If you drive, you will have to wait for reimbursement once you get to the academy. Just wait for instructions once you get a class date.

You will book through a travel agent the FAA uses. You will not pay out if pocket for the flight. If you drive, you will have to wait for reimbursement once you get to the academy. Just wait for instructions once you get a class date.

And just to be clear, even if you fly on the FAA’s dime you’ll still have to front the cost for certain incidentals like checked bags and Uber’s to and from the airport. You won’t get your first per diem check until about a month after you start, so make sure you have enough cash on hand to afford food/gas/whatever for at least that long.

And just to be clear, even if you fly on the FAA’s dime you’ll still have to front the cost for certain incidentals like checked bags and Uber’s to and from the airport. You won’t get your first per diem check until about a month after you start, so make sure you have enough cash on hand to afford food/gas/whatever for at least that long.

The bus thats specifically to ATC trainees that takes you to and from the training site, is that free? Also does it run nights? Because from what i've been told some days you have to work overnight.

The bus thats specifically to ATC trainees that takes you to and from the training site, is that free? Also does it run nights? Because from what i've been told some days you have to work overnight.

Yes it’s free and runs nights, and it’s specifically scheduled around class times. At the academy you’ll alternate between day shifts (7a-3:30p) and night shifts (3:30p-midnight) every few weeks, and the busses are all scheduled to get you there a few minutes before class and get you home a few minutes after. The major advantage of the bus is that if the bus is delayed for any reason and you’re late to class, you’re in the clear. If you’re late driving your personal car, even if you beat your classmates who were on the bus, you could potentially be fired.

What’s the deal with going back to OKC for long term training and per-diem? If we were hired before the new housing per-diem rule, can we still keep the difference?

If we were hired before the new housing per-diem rule, can we still keep the difference?

Ideally/theoretically yes, but from what I’ve seen people say YMMV based on facility/region/your admin asst/etc. I might go talk to the front desk people and phrase it as “just to confirm...”

Back
Top Bottom