New Property Special- Entire 2 bed house $63/day
Kim's Place OKC

Post 9/11 GI Bill

EJayGunns

DoD never went through the process to get it certified as an apprenticeship or whatever like the FAA did. An oft overlooked benefit brought to us by NATCA.
Can you use the GI Bill while training at a DoD job?
It depends on the facility, some have gone through and gotten their training programs approved for use of the GI bill. WEAMS Public under ojt you can search air traffic and see those that apply.

ramfan402402

Vast majority "perhaps not all" do not because they don't have the apprentice pay structure for it. It's supposed to be intended to supplement lower pay during training until you receive full certification pay. DOD is just fully certified pay regardless of training status. There may be a DOD facility that'll start you at GS 11 til you check out then promote to GS 12. That would qualify. But like I said, vast majority not the case.

I know at my previous facility (as military not a DoD controller) the DoD controllers could use their GI Bill. Like ramfan said, they start as an 11 and after a year of probation they are promoted to GS 12. They also have 1 year to become fully rated at the facility. So I guess the answer is "it depends".

Bananas

Lurker
I was told that at certain locations you could. I would speak with the people on that specific base that deal with GI Bill benefits and see what you find out there. I was even told that if the facility is willing to do the paperwork for back pay that the VA could process it.

bigfooten28

Trusted Contributor
It sorta does, once you pass and get to a facility they back pay you for the 4 months you’re here for the zip code of your facility.

StealthChain

Trusted Contributor
It sorta does, once you pass and get to a facility they back pay you for the 4 months you’re here for the zip code of your facility.
Ok, so I don't need to worry about doing anything once I arrive at the academy? Want to make sure I get as much as I can taken care of ahead of time.

bigfooten28

Trusted Contributor
No you don’t have to do anything. You don’t do anything once you get here either, it all gets taken care of once you get to your facility.

I was informed I would be waiting a little while before actually training on position after arriving at my facility. Does anyone know if you need to wait until actual position time to use GI Bill or does taking local tests and sims etc count?

Mr.Tickles

Trusted Contributor
You're eligible for the GI Bill the moment you graduate from the academy and are assigned a facility. Doesn't matter how long till you actually start training.

Josephml21

Forum Sage
And most facilities will back date your training date from when you started at the academy. Honestly most "certifing officials" have never been in the military, have no clue how the VA works and are shocked at seeing a government agency that's more screwed up than ours.

Just make sure that when they "enroll" you they back date the paperwork to your academy start date.