Post 9/11 GI Bill

DoD never went through the process to get it certified as an apprenticeship or whatever like the FAA did. An oft overlooked benefit brought to us by NATCA.
Can you use the GI Bill while training at a DoD job?
It depends on the facility, some have gone through and gotten their training programs approved for use of the GI bill. WEAMS Public under ojt you can search air traffic and see those that apply.

Vast majority "perhaps not all" do not because they don't have the apprentice pay structure for it. It's supposed to be intended to supplement lower pay during training until you receive full certification pay. DOD is just fully certified pay regardless of training status. There may be a DOD facility that'll start you at GS 11 til you check out then promote to GS 12. That would qualify. But like I said, vast majority not the case.

I know at my previous facility (as military not a DoD controller) the DoD controllers could use their GI Bill. Like ramfan said, they start as an 11 and after a year of probation they are promoted to GS 12. They also have 1 year to become fully rated at the facility. So I guess the answer is "it depends".

I was told that at certain locations you could. I would speak with the people on that specific base that deal with GI Bill benefits and see what you find out there. I was even told that if the facility is willing to do the paperwork for back pay that the VA could process it.

It sorta does, once you pass and get to a facility they back pay you for the 4 months you’re here for the zip code of your facility.

It sorta does, once you pass and get to a facility they back pay you for the 4 months you’re here for the zip code of your facility.
Ok, so I don't need to worry about doing anything once I arrive at the academy? Want to make sure I get as much as I can taken care of ahead of time.

I was informed I would be waiting a little while before actually training on position after arriving at my facility. Does anyone know if you need to wait until actual position time to use GI Bill or does taking local tests and sims etc count?

You're eligible for the GI Bill the moment you graduate from the academy and are assigned a facility. Doesn't matter how long till you actually start training.

And most facilities will back date your training date from when you started at the academy. Honestly most "certifing officials" have never been in the military, have no clue how the VA works and are shocked at seeing a government agency that's more screwed up than ours.

Just make sure that when they "enroll" you they back date the paperwork to your academy start date.

Mods/admins I know I am bumping a thread from the dead, but this was the first thread I saw when I searched about the GI Bill. If need to be moved or need to make a separate thread lmk.

So my questions are the following:

Due to COVID, part of the academy is online (not physically at the academy) does the post 9/11 GI bill still get back-dated to that start date? Or only when you physically enter the academy in OKC?

If the answer to that first question is, "the start date does include the online portion of the academy," does the BAH rate reflect your facility location? Or does the BAH rate also reflect your location when you did the online portion?

Are you allowed to stop receiving GI bill benefits in the middle of training? For example, say I ONLY wanted to receive benefits for the first 6 months to get the 100% pay. And I wanted to retain the rest for later cause I want to get another degree. Would I be allowed to do that? Or do I have to use it till I finish training?

And I read a few posts about this, but currently, is the "certifying official" for the GI bill training hrs "YOU" or the training manager at your facility? Meaning who is the one who can submit your proof of training to the VA. I noticed some say "you" and others say it needs to go through the training manager.

TIA

Mods/admins I know I am bumping a thread from the dead, but this was the first thread I saw when I searched about the GI Bill. If need to be moved or need to make a separate thread lmk.

So my questions are the following:

Due to COVID, part of the academy is online (not physically at the academy) does the post 9/11 GI bill still get back-dated to that start date? Or only when you physically enter the academy in OKC?

If the answer to that first question is, "the start date does include the online portion of the academy," does the BAH rate reflect your facility location? Or does the BAH rate also reflect your location when you did the online portion?

Are you allowed to stop receiving GI bill benefits in the middle of training? For example, say I ONLY wanted to receive benefits for the first 6 months to get the 100% pay. And I wanted to retain the rest for later cause I want to get another degree. Would I be allowed to do that? Or do I have to use it till I finish training?

And I read a few posts about this, but currently, is the "certifying official" for the GI bill training hrs "YOU" or the training manager at your facility? Meaning who is the one who can submit your proof of training to the VA. I noticed some say "you" and others say it needs to go through the training manager.

TIA
Your pay should still get back dated to the start date whether it was online or in person. Your BAH will reflect whatever facility you end up at post academy. You are allowed to use up as much or as little of your benefit that you would like. All you have to do is let your certifying official know, which is somebody at your facility designated to handle some of the VA stuff.

I was told that online training doesnt count for GI bill purposes, is this up to the facility to decide?

I was told that online training doesnt count for GI bill purposes, is this up to the facility to decide?
No, it would not be determined on an individual facility basis.

Inform your facility secretary that you wish you use your GI Bill while in training and they should direct you to the forms which must be filled out by the trainee. Training is training, whether in class, on position, or virtual (I would only assume).

No, it would not be determined on an individual facility basis.

Inform your facility secretary that you wish you use your GI Bill while in training and they should direct you to the forms which must be filled out by the trainee. Training is training, whether in class, on position, or virtual (I would only assume).
We filled out the forms, were told that it would it would be approved, and then they said until we get into the facility we are not allowed to receive it and to stop asking about it.

Back
Top Bottom