Pushed to the brink? Another NYT article rehashes all the problems that haven't changed since before Reagan and PATCO

f
> Be me, top-tier air traffic controller
> Surrounded by radars and screens, feeling like a boss
> Planes zooming in and out like hyperactive birds
> Random dude: "How do you handle all this chaos?"
> Smirk and say, "It's all about juggling metal birds in the sky, my dude."
> Act cool while coordinating like a symphony conductor
> Pilots on the radio, "Tower, we're ready for takeoff."
> Swiftly guide them into the sky with the grace of a maestro
> Colleagues stare in awe at my multitasking skills
> MFW I own the airspace and rule the skies like a boss.
t. Alberto Barbossa

It all depends on context for staffing. Daily staffing number (morning, midday, evening, and mid) is say 54. With every CPC and almost every developmental assigned six day work weeks, we are making it work with 45-48 per day. So why would the Agency ever change anything?

It all depends on context for staffing. Daily staffing number (morning, midday, evening, and mid) is say 54. With every CPC and almost every developmental assigned six day work weeks, we are making it work with 45-48 per day. So why would the Agency ever change anything?
NATCA’s reps actual response to me was that they thought controllers liked the OT. Sure a scheduled OT shift or call in every once in a while to pad my check is nice. What is NOT nice is scheduled OT every fucking week for years on end.

NATCA’s reps actual response to me was that they thought controllers liked the OT. Sure a scheduled OT shift or call in every once in a while to pad my check is nice. What is NOT nice is scheduled OT every fucking week for years on end.

This seems to be common thinking.... NATCA Reps at my facility fighting hard for OT for the 2 people that actually want it.

Fuck OT.

It's important how many people are realizing what a shitty deal forced OT is. Time and a half for one day and my weekend is reduced by fucking half? I wouldn't take that deal if it was 3x
Well ot pay isn't actually 1.5x considering you don't earn sick or annual.

To do some bad math

You earn 6 (or 8 but 6) hours of annual and 4 of sick every 2 weeks

That means you get 10 hours leave for every 80 worked.

Reducing to 1 hour leave for every 8 worked.

At 10 dollars hour you earn 90 (1 hour leave=10, plus the 80 dollars from your day)

At 1.5 you earn 150 on overtime day, but no leave.

So it's slightly less than 1.5x

Hope this cheers you up

Well ot pay isn't actually 1.5x considering you don't earn sick or annual.

To do some bad math

You earn 6 (or 8 but 6) hours of annual and 4 of sick every 2 weeks

That means you get 10 hours leave for every 80 worked.

Reducing to 1 hour leave for every 8 worked.

At 10 dollars hour you earn 90 (1 hour leave=10, plus the 80 dollars from your day)

At 1.5 you earn 150 on overtime day, but no leave.

So it's slightly less than 1.5x

Hope this cheers you up
So what you’re saying is by working an extra 38 days this year, I should have accrued 10+ more hours of leave? That would be nice

So what you’re saying is by working an extra 38 days this year, I should have accrued 10+ more hours of leave? That would be nice
Well for every 80 hours it'd be 10 hours of leave (4 sick and 6 annual)

38*8=304 hours worked
80-10
160-20
240-30
304 hours=~35 hours of leave
320-40

When y’all think you’ll use this extra leave. They should have to pay out use or lose
Nah I don't want to earn extra leave I want it to be more expensive to pay ot than it is to have a full staff. Thr plan right now is to say every year you did it with x-1 so that's the new scheduled number, we can backfill with ot.

How you ask?
Every union member detail is staffing dependent. The agency runs their own projects and we say yes or no, couldn't provide input during said project due to staffing sorry you wasted all this money here's why it won't work.

I know this will slow tech rollouts and I'm sorry but everyone has arts by now (I think)

Tiered overtime
1.5x for the first 40 hours
1.7x for the next 40
2.0x for the next 40
Or something

I mean the bottom line is that we have a good job and we should fight for a great job. At this point though I don't think morale can be changed. Apathy towards work and labor are a big problem. One side shouts get involved and be a positive change, but hiw much energy or hope is even left?

I just write my poetry on breaks and post here

Nah I don't want to earn extra leave I want it to be more expensive to pay ot than it is to have a full staff. Thr plan right now is to say every year you did it with x-1 so that's the new scheduled number, we can backfill with ot.

How you ask?
Every union member detail is staffing dependent. The agency runs their own projects and we say yes or no, couldn't provide input during said project due to staffing sorry you wasted all this money here's why it won't work.

I know this will slow tech rollouts and I'm sorry but everyone has arts by now (I think)

Tiered overtime
1.5x for the first 40 hours
1.7x for the next 40
2.0x for the next 40
Or something

I mean the bottom line is that we have a good job and we should fight for a great job. At this point though I don't think morale can be changed. Apathy towards work and labor are a big problem. One side shouts get involved and be a positive change, but hiw much energy or hope is even left?

I just write my poetry on breaks and post here
Year tiered OT would be good. Tiers plus more benefits. Should get TSP match on it at least

Back
Top Bottom