Transferring to another position before CPC

So I’m new to FAA and was hired as an air traffic controller. I heard you can move around to different departments if you don’t like what you do. If anyone knows the answer to this, what if while training to be an air traffic controller you realize it’s not something you want to do? What are you recommendations? Can I get a few certifications such as D-sides and get a pay raise then be able to transfer somewhere else? Or will they only let you change careers once you are fully cpc? My thing is if I realize it’s not for me I wouldn’t want to go through all of the training just to transfer out. So is this something that I can do before cpc? And by changing career I just mean moving to another position or even location if needed. What are my options?

Aside from applying for other jobs, You can in fact ERR to other positions inside the agency, however I don't know if you can do it prior to CPC. I'd recommend getting that first cert before even thinking about it. That'll open a lot more doors and look a lot better on your resume.

You can try to switch to tech ops just get in contact with the local manager and if they want you they can start the process. They have been picky about experience lately.
Careful. There was a guy on here once who would scream at people “tech ops is not a consolation career for people who can’t cut it in ATC” and then ask them highly technical radar repair questions to try to illustrate how unqualified they are whenever someone here suggested a ATC trainee look into tech ops.

So I’m new to FAA and was hired as an air traffic controller. I heard you can move around to different departments if you don’t like what you do. If anyone knows the answer to this, what if while training to be an air traffic controller you realize it’s not something you want to do? What are you recommendations? Can I get a few certifications such as D-sides and get a pay raise then be able to transfer somewhere else? Or will they only let you change careers once you are fully cpc? My thing is if I realize it’s not for me I wouldn’t want to go through all of the training just to transfer out. So is this something that I can do before cpc? And by changing career I just mean moving to another position or even location if needed. What are my options?
Lock in that CPC first…go from there. You just got hired into what can be very good career for you

I would say that if you think there is even the smallest chance you think you would like to keep doing ATC, do your best to CPC. Because if you quit (or transfer out) as a trainee, you’re done with controlling. Going back to the floor would be very very tough. But if you know deep dow that ATC isn’t for you (which is perfectly acceptable. ATC isn’t for everyone) then I would look for other options now. This would save you the hassle of training, your trainers the frustration of training someone who isn’t invested and going to work traffic, and you could possibly be taking a class slot from someone behind you who is now delayed in their training.

Like other people have said though, this is a great job, so figure out what it is you aren’t happy about. Being in Puerto Rico, we have probably a higher number of people who say they just don’t want to do ATC, but really they don’t want to do ATC in Puerto Rico.

My first question is why did you even start the career? And yes, you can ERR as a DEV, you're just last place.

My first question is why did you even start the career? And yes, you can ERR as a DEV, you're just last place.
Look at Mr I've never made a decision I've regretted, ever in my whole life.

"OH hey look a good paying fed job that requires no previous experience and pays pretty good, let me apply for that, sounds cool"

*2 years later*

"I'm stuck in cedar rapids iowa with a bunch of bitter dudes who also don't want to be here with no chance of leaving anytime soon, training sucks, morale sucks, this town sucks, this all sucks. It's not at all what I thought it was gonna be, hell i dont even like airplanes unless they are taking me to cabo."

Thats how.

If you’re changing careers entirely your DEV status will not prevent anything except maybe reduce your level of qualification. If the new job is outside the ATO it’ll probably be a total non factor. Inside the ATO you’re still subject to the release policy as a DEV.

"OH hey look a good paying fed job that requires no previous experience and pays pretty good, let me apply for that, sounds cool"

*2 years later*

"I'm stuck in cedar rapids iowa with a bunch of bitter dudes who also don't want to be here with no chance of leaving anytime soon, training sucks, morale sucks, this town sucks, this all sucks. It's not at all what I thought it was gonna be, hell i dont even like airplanes unless they are taking me to cabo."

Thats how.
You just described almost every mid level facility

*2 years later*

Thats how.
Peter, I didn't mean anything negative by my comment, so it was taken out of context. The first thought that came to mind was my question of why even start? But, since reading your comment, you made me realize that I didn't know what I was gonna get when I arrived at my level-7.

That's for the humble pie. I guess I needed it today.

Peter, I didn't mean anything negative by my comment, so it was taken out of context. The first thought that came to mind was my question of why even start? But, since reading your comment, you made me realize that I didn't know what I was gonna get when I arrived at my level-7.

That's for the humble pie. I guess I needed it today.
No harm no foul. I've said my fair share of dumb things.

*2 years later*

Thats how.
This is quite accurate! ? not to mention I had a VERY well paying job before but obviously this job is very reputable and has benefits and all that. AND I was told it was a good job to have by multiple people, very secure, and that’s why I applied.

To answer your question, it is possible to move around to different departments within the FAA. However, the process for doing so can vary depending on your current job status, location, and the specific position you are interested in.

If you decide that air traffic control is not the right fit for you, it's best to speak with your supervisor or human resources representative to discuss your options. They can provide guidance on the process for transferring to a different department or position within the FAA.

As for certifications such as D-sides, obtaining additional certifications can be beneficial for your career advancement and may increase your earning potential. However, it's important to note that these certifications may not necessarily make it easier to transfer to a different department or position within the FAA. Again, it's best to speak with your supervisor or HR representative to get more information on the specific requirements for the positions you are interested in.

Not many. You need to become a cpc first to prove you are not worthless

Back
Top Bottom