Supervisor to controller

Lots of good info and insight, not encouraging, but good to know nonetheless. I decided to not apply for the sup jobs ... not right now at least.

With the current NCEPT, I don't see our facility being able to release even one person in the next 3+ years. So I know it sucks to think that people are "working" the hardship system, but I don't have any hard feelings toward the people at my own facility who are doing it. Feeling completely stuck and far from family can make some people desperate. I can't come up with any legitimate reasons myself to put in a hardship, but if something real comes up in the future, I can't say I won't try it.

The problem with going SUP is if you cant release via NCEPT then getting a deviation for a sup bid is a very slim chance. As you still need the staffing to release a controller and "most" managers are on top of that process.
Yea. It happened to a guy here. Our manager was on leave or something and the deviation got approved so he was going to be out the door then accepted a DoD job close to home and that fell through so now he’s still here.

Lots of good info and insight, not encouraging, but good to know nonetheless. I decided to not apply for the sup jobs ... not right now at least.

With the current NCEPT, I don't see our facility being able to release even one person in the next 3+ years. So I know it sucks to think that people are "working" the hardship system, but I don't have any hard feelings toward the people at my own facility who are doing it. Feeling completely stuck and far from family can make some people desperate. I can't come up with any legitimate reasons myself to put in a hardship, but if something real comes up in the future, I can't say I won't try it.
Yep I’m in the same situation. Can’t blame those ppl for doing it whether it’s legit or not. I don’t have a reason to do it and I hope I don’t have to do it for the simple fact I don’t want anything happening to my family.

Can anyone fill me in on the current process to go from a supervisor position back to a controller? Is there a time requirement for how long you have to stay a supervisor before you can apply back to a controller job? Are there restrictions on what facilities/what level facilities you can apply to? Would you contact ATMs at those facilities and apply directly?

Also, any updated info on the current reinstatement process? Is it still where you can leave for a year and then apply directly to whatever facility you want to try for? I know that's taking a major chance, though, since those rules could change again at any time, but I worked both contract and DoD before the FAA so it is tempting to go back just to get unstuck from here and then try to reapply.

Honestly, I'm just feeling out my options. I'm currently stuck at a very low level facility with ABSOLUTELY NO HOPE for the unforeseeable future of when we'll have enough manning to release even one person, and I know there will be like 10 of us competing to get out when the chance does come. And then what? We can only ERR to level 6-8 facilities since higher ones won't take us no matter what our experience was even before the FAA?
Taking my chances with a Sup job or a Reinstatement seem quite tempting sometimes, all things considered. Anyone want to talk me off of those cliffs?
To bring this slightly back on topic and to touch on some of your earlier questions. There has been talk the past 6 months of incorporating OTCWF (Other Than Controller Work Force) into the NCEPT process, but there hasn't been any movement on it. I did a small amount of research for a past FLM and what you're suggesting (bidding a SUP job, playing the "this sucks, I want to return to the boards" game) isn't as easy as it once was. The responses I got at the time (2 years ago, it could have changed since), is that they would go through a NEST type process and would be placed based on agency needs. As others have stated, if you want to continue controlling, you have a few options...

1) Bid N90
2) Bid ZUA when the next bids comes out - 3 year contract, then you essentially have a golden ticket.
3) Bid an Academy job - 3?(someone correct me if I'm wrong) year contract, move money both ways and similar options as Guam after it's finished.
4) Bid DOD, then attempt to come back either through reinstatement or prior experience bids after a year.
5) Stick it out, bide your time and be ready when your facility is eligible. There's no restriction to how high you can jump, plenty of people from Level 5's go to 10-12's through the NCEPT, it's all about where you want to go and how you network.

I don't know how long you've been at your current facility, but I can understand the hopelessness of feeling like you don't have a light at the end of the tunnel. Time's a funny thing man. Ten years from now you might look back at the 2-3 extra years spent at your facility as a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.

To bring this slightly back on topic and to touch on some of your earlier questions. There has been talk the past 6 months of incorporating OTCWF (Other Than Controller Work Force) into the NCEPT process, but there hasn't been any movement on it. I did a small amount of research for a past FLM and what you're suggesting (bidding a SUP job, playing the "this sucks, I want to return to the boards" game) isn't as easy as it once was. The responses I got at the time (2 years ago, it could have changed since), is that they would go through a NEST type process and would be placed based on agency needs. As others have stated, if you want to continue controlling, you have a few options...

1) Bid N90
2) Bid ZUA when the next bids comes out - 3 year contract, then you essentially have a golden ticket.
3) Bid an Academy job - 3?(someone correct me if I'm wrong) year contract, move money both ways and similar options as Guam after it's finished.
4) Bid DOD, then attempt to come back either through reinstatement or prior experience bids after a year.
5) Stick it out, bide your time and be ready when your facility is eligible. There's no restriction to how high you can jump, plenty of people from Level 5's go to 10-12's through the NCEPT, it's all about where you want to go and how you network.

I don't know how long you've been at your current facility, but I can understand the hopelessness of feeling like you don't have a light at the end of the tunnel. Time's a funny thing man. Ten years from now you might look back at the 2-3 extra years spent at your facility as a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.
Man, great info. Thanks for shining some light on things for me. And I think you’re probably spot on with your last statement & I probably needed to hear that.

They are not good time.

Is there somewhere that shows which positions count as "good time" and which ones don't? I'm curious, because if I want to do 30 years, I'll have to do something other than controlling traffic to cover a few of the years.

Is there somewhere that shows which positions count as "good time" and which ones don't? I'm curious, because if I want to do 30 years, I'll have to do something other than controlling traffic to cover a few of the years.
If you're controlling traffic or supervising those that do control traffic (those that maintain currency), that's good time.
So it's controllers, their supervisors, and the supervisors' supervisors.
CPC/Sup/Ops manager or,
CPC/Sup/ATM
ATMs only get good time at the facilities that don't have an OM between the FLMs and the ATM.

I know of some staff support people that maintain currency in the operation, so it should count as good time according to the requirements, but the FAA says it doesn't count. NATCA either won't/hasn't/can't fought to include them.

Small detail, but its actually OPM that decides that. The FAA is arguing for it.

Yeah it’s an OPM thing. OPM as an entity is extremely fascinating from a black and white perspective.

the free identity theft protection for life because of that data breach in 2011(?) is pretty nice though
I've never signed up for any of the identity theft protections over the years because, in my mind, it just gives more chances and failure points for problems in the future.

Back
Top Bottom