TBD (Q1) 2021

Still better than the bid system with 5+ year release dates and a rigged system. NCEPT (while shitty) was a massive improvement upon the old system. Hopefully they take its successful aspects into consideration if they change it.
I like a lot of NCEPT. The quarterly meetings. Staffing numbers, gains and losses etc. I think there needs to be a new way of counting staffing and taking into account local issues that seem to plague a lot of these places that look good on paper while working six day work weeks.

I think they need to hold people to their selections. You put in, you get it, that’s now your job. Outside of hardship criteria you are moving. No more taking the only slot out just to turn down the offer in the end.

Have people work a year certified before bidding to give the people who have been there longer a shot. Instead of training people to take your spot out because they know someone or bid a high priority spot.

Two separate NCEPT numbers run. Facilities are ran with the first list of any applicant within 3 levels. 8-11 etc. Then re run the list with everyone that applied. Regardless of level. Force facilities to select first from more qualified candidates and promote upward movement. This should help open spots at the mid level facilities where people seem to get stuck.

I like a lot of NCEPT. The quarterly meetings. Staffing numbers, gains and losses etc. I think there needs to be a new way of counting staffing and taking into account local issues that seem to plague a lot of these places that look good on paper while working six day work weeks.

I think they need to hold people to their selections. You put in, you get it, that’s now your job. Outside of hardship criteria you are moving. No more taking the only slot out just to turn down the offer in the end.

Have people work a year certified before bidding to give the people who have been there longer a shot. Instead of training people to take your spot out because they know someone or bid a high priority spot.

Two separate NCEPT numbers run. Facilities are ran with the first list of any applicant within 3 levels. 8-11 etc. Then re run the list with everyone that applied. Regardless of level. Force facilities to select first from more qualified candidates and promote upward movement. This should help open spots at the mid level facilities where people seem to get stuck.
Definitely, the NCEPT took a lot of the old-boy system away when they introduced the numbers system to determine most movement. Including what you've said, they should be more transparent with the process too.
Getting people where they want to go from the academy is the first step to fixing it.
This couldn't be more true.

The FAA should just do local bids for facilities like they did with N90. Get people that want to be at the facility they apply for.
Like maybe you can’t get ZFW or DFW out of the academy. But how bout the 20 GA airports in the area. Get more people where they want to live and less people transferring.

i got to go to a “less desirable center”. But it’s where I already lived. So I’m staying here for life. I’ll be staffing for others to leave. We have so many that were forced here and just leave when they can. I also know of people from here that couldn’t come. It’s like what are we doing

The FAA should just do local bids for facilities like they did with N90. Get people that want to be at the facility they apply for.
There is a bit of a legal issue associated with that, they could possibly do it in conjunction with national bids, but the hoops they'd jump through makes it seem really unlikely.

There is a bit of a legal issue associated with that, they could possibly do it in conjunction with national bids, but the hoops they'd jump through makes it seem really unlikely.
They did a NYC resident bid for N90. Why couldn't they do it elsewhere?

What you mean. Go on USA jobs. Every agency is hiring locally
The FAA is an excepted service and not subject to OPM hiring practices under Title 5 CFR. Hence where Public Law 114-190 comes into effect and dictates our hiring practices.

Local hiring is near impossible to meet 114-190 requirements, hence the national hiring.

N90 is an extremely special case which has an exception.

Better academy placement is the best solution that is both legally attainable and realistic.

The FAA is an excepted service and not subject to OPM hiring practices under Title 5 CFR. Hence where Public Law 114-190 comes into effect and dictates our hiring practices.

Local hiring is near impossible to meet 114-190 requirements, hence the national hiring.

N90 is an extremely special case which has an exception.

Better academy placement is the best solution that is both legally attainable and realistic.
Odd. At least maybe a few select bids like ZOA could be helpful. If they can use the n90 rules

you seem to be forgetting 9-11s are the best staffed facilities in the agency. this only works if all facilities have an equal opportunity to gain, which they don't.

Like maybe you can’t get ZFW or DFW out of the academy. But how bout the 20 GA airports in the area. Get more people where they want to live and less people transferring.

i got to go to a “less desirable center”. But it’s where I already lived. So I’m staying here for life. I’ll be staffing for others to leave. We have so many that were forced here and just leave when they can. I also know of people from here that couldn’t come. It’s like what are we doing
that only works when you're in a desirable area of the country. it screws less desirable areas.

supply and demand.

you seem to be forgetting 9-11s are the best staffed facilities in the agency. this only works if all facilities have an equal opportunity to gain, which they don't.

that only works when you're in a desirable area of the country. it screws less desirable areas.

supply and demand.
Not true. I live in a non desirable place and ppl haven’t been able to come back. You’d still have the national placement for everyone else. The more people you can take out of the transfer game the easier it will be.

supply and demand.
Aside from centers I think the majority of releases during NCEPT have been 7 and below. And every high level release is another spot for a lower level to move into. I have seen plenty of 9-12 that are unable to release and unable to gain at the same time.

Getting people where they want to go from the academy is the first step to fixing it.
How do you staff the places no one wants to go to then? Because as the ncept has shown most want high dollar facilities and hardly anyone apply for mwh and the like.

How do you staff the places no one wants to go to then? Because as the ncept has shown most want high dollar facilities and hardly anyone apply for mwh and the like.
Put an incentive for people to go to those places like they did with Guam

That's why I think local hiring bids should be a thing. MWH has over 100,000 people within 1hr drive. CPC's make above average salary compared to the rest of Grant County, WA. It's a win-win for the FAA and employee if they wanted to stay in that area.

One drawback to the idea is if people would even know about these bids. Personally I never once thought about the FAA or knew how easy it was to apply prior to joining the military because I never heard someone mention it.

Back
Top Bottom