The woeful unpreparedness of Management

If you’re going to bang in during this when you’re not sick then I personally hope they slam the hammer and NATCA just cracks open a beer and watches.
I wouldn’t fault anyone if they’re not comfortable being exposed to this. We all know the response has been behind the 8 ball since day one. There’s very likely positive cases out there in our facilities that haven’t been tested yet.

If theres not enough ppl hire more!

Isn't the whole dang point to be running skeleton crews? If there are more people you might be able to run more crews, or have a group waiting in the wings to replace an entire crew, but you still don't want to call in one person one time to replace someone banging in. That defeats the purpose.

Isn't the whole dang point to be running skeleton crews? If there are more people you might be able to run more crews, or have a group waiting in the wings to replace an entire crew, but you still don't want to call in one person one time to replace someone banging in. That defeats the purpose.

You totally took me out if context.

"I don't think ppl should just be gratuitously banging but I also don't think someone who does call out a day or two should be a pariah. If theres not enough ppl hire more!"

Point being if we cant afford to take 1 SL it's not enough ppl. When you run w no margin for error youre fucked when anything happens. This is an unprecedented situation and as jacked up as staffing historically has been, this couldn't be accounted for. Either way, in no universe is attacking people for sick leave cool or good for the job. It's a shitshow situation but if shifts get too low then services need to be curtailed. Chilling SL i would think is the last thing to do in a pandemic.

PushingTin I don't think I took it out of context... from what I understand from NATCA, the entire point is to reduce to bare minimum staffing in order to get people out of the facility and reduce the spread. You could be at 150% staffing and you'd still want to run at minimums, because everyone who isn't absolutely necessary is another potential vector. And if you're running at minimums, by definition you can't afford a sick hit. That's the risk you take, and it's a tradeoff between that and letting your whole facility go down because you had more people than you needed and someone brought in the virus.

Now in a normal non-pandemic situation, yes I see your point, you want to have a margin there. But in this particular case it's a deliberate decision to not have the margin even if your staffing numbers allow for it.

And regarding services being curtailed, at least as of yesterday that's the line I was hearing—going to ATC Zero if necessary rather than calling someone in to cover. Other people today are saying that's no longer the plan at their facilities, so who knows anymore.

Any place been talking contingency plans in case of a COVID positive person? Temp tower? Shut down the tower and/or approach?

And I'm also not seeing anything from either CLE or ZOB or surrounding facilities about CLE closing.
I’ve got a source there, they aren’t closed yet as far as I know but they are trying to figure out how to clean and keep working

the entire point is to reduce to bare minimum staffing in
Direct from the FAA top people: this is not minimum staffing skeleton crews, it's staffing the facility with the minimum number of people to work your current traffic level.

I wouldn’t fault anyone if they’re not comfortable being exposed to this. We all know the response has been behind the 8 ball since day one. There’s very likely positive cases out there in our facilities that haven’t been tested yet.
I finally found a clinic in NYC willing to test me. I had a dry cough and sore throat for like 3 weeks. Didnt think anything of it until one of the Tech Ops guys tested positive. Waiting for the results, should get them next week. 3-10 days is the turnaround time...not encouraging during a pandemic but what else are you gonna do, NYC Dept of Health issued guidance to withhold all testing except in cases that require hospitalization.

I’m curious as to how many other facilities are keeping their normal schedule like my facility is doing. It’s not even for staffing reasons, as we are nearly 100% staffed.

You totally took me out if context.

"I don't think ppl should just be gratuitously banging but I also don't think someone who does call out a day or two should be a pariah. If theres not enough ppl hire more!"

Point being if we cant afford to take 1 SL it's not enough ppl. When you run w no margin for error youre fucked when anything happens. This is an unprecedented situation and as jacked up as staffing historically has been, this couldn't be accounted for. Either way, in no universe is attacking people for sick leave cool or good for the job. It's a shitshow situation but if shifts get too low then services need to be curtailed. Chilling SL i would think is the last thing to do in a pandemic.
I like what facilities did to keep people off but you are right that there is too little room for error when one SL call will destroy the shift. You can't expect nobody to call in sick in a industry where it is rampant, even in these unique times. Go to 5 on 7 or 8 off if you had to instead of 5 on, 10 off with zero room for error or a sick call.

I’m curious as to how many other facilities are keeping their normal schedule like my facility is doing. It’s not even for staffing reasons, as we are nearly 100% staffed.
Your facility shouldn't be keeping a normal schedule, everyone is moving to a alternative schedule. I'd ask your Facrep about it because most of them have known this was coming for at least 3 days.

Your facility shouldn't be keeping a normal schedule, everyone is moving to a alternative schedule. I'd ask your Facrep about it because most of them have known this was coming for at least 3 days.
It’s been discussed. The decision has been made to stay on our current rotation.

I know of two facilities in AZ that are keeping traditional schedules.

Heard APA is going from 4-3-2 (or 3-4-2) staffing up to 5-5-2 staffing ?. Nothing like more bodies in the facility!

According to reddit, there's another positive at N90. If you weren't physically intimate with the person you're fine though according to natca and the agency. Apparently "close proximity" is being within 6 feet of the infected person for 30 minutes or more.

According to reddit, there's another positive at N90. If you weren't physically intimate with the person you're fine though according to natca and the agency. Apparently "close proximity" is being within 6 feet of the infected person for 30 minutes or more.
Sounds like they’re still up and running at the moment as well. So I suppose that means the whole going ATC zero until everything can be properly cleaned plan has been thrown out the window too?

Almost sounds like NATCA and the agency agreed the new scheduling plan is the one and only magic solution needed for the whole situation.

Huh then why is my state threatening fines if you don’t practice social distance for even 1 minute.

Back
Top Bottom