Retirement TSP Seasonal Strategies

thesoonerkid

Wow congrats, so you were able to bank all the downturn? around 30-50% profit in 1 year?

I am asking because I saw their membership cost and it is a little bit pricey.
They didn’t tell us to get back Into the c or s funds. I was fortunate to get in when they only charged 1,000 for lifetime membership. I feel like that was a very good value considering my lack of investment knowledge. I’ve since learned a little bit more than I knew then. I think really if you’re early in your career you can’t go wrong with 50c/50s or even 75s/25c if you wanna be aggressive

erik088

They didn’t tell us to get back Into the c or s funds. I was fortunate to get in when they only charged 1,000 for lifetime membership. I feel like that was a very good value considering my lack of investment knowledge. I’ve since learned a little bit more than I knew then. I think really if you’re early in your career you can’t go wrong with 50c/50s or even 75s/25c if you wanna be aggressive
oh ok. Considering how much it cost right now, I believe 1K is a good deal!. Right now I am around 55C/45S.

TimShady

So what was your 12 month PIP ending 12/31? I’ve always resisted moving my money around and trying to time the market, but I know there’s at least some logic to it.

I let my 50C/50S ride all year and ended up making 24.91%

Motodog

with how few fund options there are within the TSP, paying for a service to tell you “strategies” seems unnecessary. I’m 33, so nowhere near retirement. Current is 45% C, 45% S, 10% I. One year performance 23%.
Agree. Market timing is not a good strategy in my mind. Take this stat-the returns of an investor who put $10k into a standard S&P 500 index fund (very solid plan) in 1980 and missed only the market’s 5 best days, that’s 5, by trying to time mkt, would be 38% below someone who stayed invested for a 10 year period. Source- Fidelity Investments Inc.

Last edited:

BrocolliRob

Trusted Contributor
Agree. Market timing is not a good strategy in my mind. Take this stat-the returns of an investor who put $10k into a standard S&P 500 index fund (very solid plan) in 1980 and missed only the market’s 5, that’s 5, days, by trying to time mkt, would be 38% below someone who stayed invested for a 10 year period. Source- Fidelity Investments Inc.

the one thing I took away from business school is you can’t time the market. You’ll maybe get lucky a few times but like you said, overall it’ll just hurt you.

thesoonerkid

So what was your 12 month PIP ending 12/31? I’ve always resisted moving my money around and trying to time the market, but I know there’s at least some logic to it.

I let my 50C/50S ride all year and ended up making 24.91%
Unfortunately Just under 12%. I will say that overall my tsp has grown substantially in the last couple years. I ca t be too greedy. I know some people at work who are - for their pip on the year.

Termine

Trusted Contributor
Careful with those 12 month PIP numbers... don't they include your yearly contributions when calculating that? So someone maxing it out would have a better "performance" than someone only doing 5%, everything else being equal.

Motodog

Careful with those 12 month PIP numbers... don't they include your yearly contributions when calculating that? So someone maxing it out would have a better "performance" than someone only doing 5%, everything else being equal.
Good point. Paid money managers/market timers consistently under perform the S&P 500 Index. Year after year. You miss, guess wrong on half a dozen upticks in the market and you never recover.

TimShady

PIP doesn’t include contributions, just growth. I started maxing my TSP this year so my account is about 60% higher than it started and my PIP is 24%. They show it as your “Personal Rate of Return” on your statement.

Top Bottom