US Air Force announces retention bonuses of up to $600,000 in desperate bid to fix pilot shortage

US Air Force announces retention bonuses of up to $600,000 in desperate bid to fix pilot shortage

The US Air Force is offering up to $600,000 in retention bonuses.

The money would be paid out over 12 years.

The move aims to retain skilled airmen and address a decades-long pilot shortage.

"Some pilots opting for an additional five to 12 years may receive a lump sum payment of up to $200,000 upfront."

"The USAF said in September that it had missed its annual target of around 1,500 new pilots for the eighth year in a row."

How bout that controller shortage?

The US Air Force is offering up to $600,000 in retention bonuses.

The money would be paid out over 12 years.

The move aims to retain skilled airmen and address a decades-long pilot shortage.

"Some pilots opting for an additional five to 12 years may receive a lump sum payment of up to $200,000 upfront."

"The USAF said in September that it had missed its annual target of around 1,500 new pilots for the eighth year in a row."

How bout that controller shortage?
The fact that they made being a fighter pilot, one of the coolest jobs in existence, lame speaks volumes about the state of affairs in the Air Force. It was a couple years ago, more guys requested to track helicopters than fast jets out of UPT because at least the helo community didn’t have the same level of nonsense. Guys are getting out left right and center and no one is bothering to ask why. At best they will take a guard or reserve slot, but most are just fed up and want out. It’s just like the faa in that regard, the people at the top are so out of touch from the workforce, the ones who actually accomplish the mission, and the people in leadership either don’t care or literally don’t understand that there is a problem and don’t get why people aren’t staying in

Last edited:
Guys are getting out left right and center and no one is bothering to ask why.

Because they can be picked up by a major airline before they’re even done with terminal leave and make bank. Pilot retention has always been a problem during airline hiring booms.

Because they can be picked up by a major airline before they’re even done with terminal leave and make bank. Pilot retention has always been a problem during airline hiring booms.
Ask anyone getting out. It’s not just money. Its QOL. Its the queep. It’s the careerism, and box checking. It sounds familiar doesn’t it? The consensus is the guys venerated by todays Air Force would have their careers smothered in the crib if they worked in the Air Force of today, robin olds is the prime example.

Ask anyone getting out. It’s not just money. Its QOL. Its the queep. It’s the careerism, and box checking. It sounds familiar doesn’t it? The consensus is the guys venerated by todays Air Force would have their careers smothered in the crib if they worked in the Air Force of today, robin olds is the prime example.
IMG_4431.jpeg

A lot of controllers have multiple ratings. What do you think the starting regional airline career equivalent is? Level 9?

Yeah the real issue is our pension holding people back from leaving and that unlike the Air Force pilots they are not training us to walk straight into a major airline equivalent job. If people could walk I’m guessing a lot would.

The brain drain is the worst that it’s ever been, it’s not just economic factors. The grind and the stupidity and endless nonsense are pushing people out. I had pilot friends leave the AF without even a resume lined up or a logbook prepped. One buddy was unemployed for almost a year after getting out, while he was getting his stuff together to apply for the airlines, and yet even on a tight budget without clear direction he was happier not flying, not in the Air Force than he was flying jets all over the world while in the Air Force.

That is a valid point that yes, there are flying jobs outside the Air Force, but even the FAA has record numbers of people going DOD, or quitting to go contract or just outright quitting in numbers not seen before. The golden allure of the job is now a very dull bronze, what was once one of the Best jobs is now beset with an outdated pay scale, a near total lack of internal movement, staffing that hasn’t kept up with traffic despite record hiring and an apathetic leadership that at best is indifferent and at worst sees the situation as your fault, like it’s some kind of scam you’re running, or at the very worst, they think it’s all roses and sunshine out on the floor and that things are great, those pesky reporters are making up stuff for attention.

Last edited:
Yeah the real issue is our pension holding people back from leaving and that unlike the Air Force pilots they are not training us to walk straight into a major airline equivalent job. If people could walk I’m guessing a lot would.
If the airlines had jobs for ATC at these airline scheduling Centers with competitive pay… FAA ATC Would have near zero controllers.. FAA ATC would be a stepping stone into the airlines.

If the airlines had jobs for ATC at these airline scheduling Centers with competitive pay… FAA ATC Would have near zero controllers.. FAA ATC would be a stepping stone into the airlines.
Dispatch seems (key word) to be competitive, thinking I might do an online course and get my dispatch license to set myself up for retirement with free flights.

Dispatch seems (key word) to be competitive, thinking I might do an online course and get my dispatch license to set myself up for retirement with free flights.

Dispatch can be competitive once you get with the majors, but you don’t start with them usually.

Holy moly! This is quite tempting!

Free flights also! Where has this job been hiding!

Back
Top Bottom