Canceling IFR at the completion of an approach

Sharkbait35

Lurker
This question is in reference to aircraft conducting practice approaches and then departing for vfr work (overhead, vfr departure, etc.).

One facility I was at would tell aircraft, "at the completion of your approach, maintain vfr..." while the facility I'm currently at tells aircraft "report your IFR cancelation with the tower".

We can run into issues where the aircraft forgets to report IFR cancelation and then we're wasting time getting him to report it. We have aircraft that commonly like to shoot the ILS to a touch and go and then depart to the initial for the overhead. Is the approach controller allowed to give the instruction that IFR is canceled at the completion of the approach? If so, where can I find the rule regarding this?

Solution
The radar controller only assigns the approach. They have nothing to do with the option, touch and go or low approach.

4−8−9. MISSED APPROACH Except in the case of a VFR aircraft practicing an instrument approach, an approach clearance automatically authorizes the aircraft to execute the missed approach procedure depicted for the instrument approach being flown. An alternate missed approach procedure as published on the appropriate FAA Form 8260 or appropriate military form may be assigned when necessary. Once an aircraft commences a missed approach, it may be radar vectored.
You forgot this.

b. Missed Approaches. 1. Unless alternate instructions have been issued, IFR aircraft are automatically authorized to execute the...
I think they are telling you their intentions but I think it’s best practice to just have them cancel when they are ready not try give them weird instructions. Not all airports can just give runway heading. Sometimes there is terrain
Hardheaded. But whatever, you do you, the .65 literally states what I'm talking about, all you're arguing are what ifs.

Last edited:
Hardheaded. But whatever, you do you, the .65 literally states what I'm talking about, all you're arguing are what ifs.
The radar controller only assigns the approach. They have nothing to do with the option, touch and go or low approach.

4−8−9. MISSED APPROACH Except in the case of a VFR aircraft practicing an instrument approach, an approach clearance automatically authorizes the aircraft to execute the missed approach procedure depicted for the instrument approach being flown. An alternate missed approach procedure as published on the appropriate FAA Form 8260 or appropriate military form may be assigned when necessary. Once an aircraft commences a missed approach, it may be radar vectored.

You forgot this.

b. Missed Approaches. 1. Unless alternate instructions have been issued, IFR aircraft are automatically authorized to execute the missed approach depicted for the instrument approach being flown.

And this.

4−8−12. LOW APPROACH AND TOUCHAND-GO Consider an aircraft cleared for a touch-and-go, low approach, or practice approach as an arriving aircraft until that aircraft touches down or crosses the landing threshold; thereafter, consider the aircraft as a departing aircraft. Before the aircraft begins its final descent, issue the appropriate departure instructions the pilot is to follow upon completion of the approach (in accordance with paragraph 4−3−2, Departure Clearances). Climb-out instructions must include a specific heading or a route of flight and altitude, except when the aircraft will maintain VFR and contact the tower.

EXAMPLE− “After completing low approach, climb and maintain six thousand. Turn right, heading three six zero.”

“Maintain VFR, contact tower.”

Solution
You forgot this.

b. Missed Approaches. 1. Unless alternate instructions have been issued, IFR aircraft are automatically authorized to execute the missed approach depicted for the instrument approach being flown.

And this.

4−8−12. LOW APPROACH AND TOUCHAND-GO Consider an aircraft cleared for a touch-and-go, low approach, or practice approach as an arriving aircraft until that aircraft touches down or crosses the landing threshold; thereafter, consider the aircraft as a departing aircraft. Before the aircraft begins its final descent, issue the appropriate departure instructions the pilot is to follow upon completion of the approach (in accordance with paragraph 4−3−2, Departure Clearances). Climb-out instructions must include a specific heading or a route of flight and altitude, except when the aircraft will maintain VFR and contact the tower.

EXAMPLE− “After completing low approach, climb and maintain six thousand. Turn right, heading three six zero.”

“Maintain VFR, contact tower.”
4-8-12 is something a tower controller would do.

isn’t that what basic missed approach/go around procedures are for? We don’t even give missed approach instructions for the scenario of someone being IFR and wanting to stay in the tower pattern after. This is such a weird discussion for something that seems so standard

There are so many different scenarios I can think of that all would have different outcomes. Stuff like where they cancel IFR at, whether they want to proceed to the initial for the overhead, wanting to proceed with a published missed then go vfr, enter the tower pattern after a touch and go, there just needs to be a specific scenario to come to a good conclusion.

As for DankVectorz i believe what they are trying to say is tower will be relaying a clearance for a touch and go or missed approach that is either in a LOA or coordinated with the radar controller.

You clear airplanes for low approaches and touch and goes?

Planes tell me they want to do a touch and go or low approach and what they want to do after. I give them climb out instructions based off that.

In other shocking news, you can vector VFR’s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom