WaPost Article Thoughts

Granted the story cites no sources of their own - only a news release from one Democrat on one committee of Congress that cites a OMB memorandum marked PRE-DECISIONAL NOT FOR PUBLIC RELEASE - but I would not be surprised.

Folks may dislike the thought of the ATC system being privatized, but air traffic controllers will be far better off 1) outside of the Executive Branch and 2) out from under the congressional appropriations process than we will be if we remained within it.

Granted the story cites no sources of their own - only a news release from one Democrat on one committee of Congress that cites a OMB memorandum marked PRE-DECISIONAL NOT FOR PUBLIC RELEASE - but I would not be surprised.

Folks may dislike the thought of the ATC system being privatized, but air traffic controllers will be far better off 1) outside of the Executive Branch and 2) out from under the congressional appropriations process than we will be if we remained within it.
But if the pension goes away, we would not be better off, especially with our current forced retirement.

If it was better outside the federal government people working for contract towers wouldn’t be applying to the FAA.

But if the pension goes away, we would not be better off, especially with our current forced retirement.
To be clear, I'm not saying this in support of privatization or the new buzzwords of FAA Reform, but per Shuster's Bill, we would be grandfathered in and can remain in FERS. Text below...

‘‘(A) ELECTION OF RETIREMENT BENEFITS.—At least 90 days before the date of transfer, an employee transferring to the Corporation who will be subject to either the Civil Service Retirement System under chapter 83 of title 5 (in this section referred to as ‘CSRS’) or the Federal Employees’ Retirement System under chapter 84 of title 5 (in this section referred to as ‘FERS’) on the day immediately preceding the date of transfer shall elect either to—
‘‘(i) retain the employee’s coverage under either CSRS or FERS, as applicable, in lieu of coverage by the Corporation’s employee benefits system established under section 90315(c)"

Back
Top Bottom