What to pack for academy

jswizzle060

I will be going to the academy in a month and I was just wondering, is there anything I should bring that I wouldn’t necessarily think of? I’ll be staying at Kim’s place and I know he apt is furnished but I was just wondering if anyone who has gone through it had any tips on what to bring..

Also what type of attire for Oklahoma, the academy.. jeans, shorts, baseball caps, polos?

Also will an iPad benefit me at all for studying?

Other than the obvious clothes which for the summer I would definitely include some shorts and t-shirts, bring a laptop. Also a windbreaker/rain jacket.

You’re not allowed any electronic devices in class so I don’t think Ipad will be useful. No hats allowed in the building. Bring something for fun, video games or whatever you like. I brought my Apple TV. A lot of people bring their own coffee makers. Kims place had towels but I brought my own. Also suggest your own pillows, the ones there are flat like a pancake. Other than that you don’t really need anything.

I will be going to the academy in a month and I was just wondering, is there anything I should bring that I wouldn’t necessarily think of? I’ll be staying at Kim’s place and I know he apt is furnished but I was just wondering if anyone who has gone through it had any tips on what to bring..

Also what type of attire for Oklahoma, the academy.. jeans, shorts, baseball caps, polos?

Also will an iPad benefit me at all for studying?

Academy is business casual, if you are wearing jeans they should have no holes or frayed bits on them. A shirt needs to be collared but does not need to be tucked in, honestly if you have the self control bring a video game console. I brought my switch and while I haven't played a ton of it, it does help on the weekends when it's super boring and you don't have a ton of studying to do.

OKC in itself isn't that bad, if you like to go to bars, breweries, or clubs you'll have plenty of options. An iPad won't help you just a ton for studying until you get to the VFR/IFR charts and even then you'll go through the charts so often in class you don't need to review them during your study time.

All that to say, if you have the self control, bring something to pass the time. Otherwise don't bring anything you don't absolutely need.

Make sure you bring a toothbrush.

Although, if you forget one Wal Mart is only a drive away...

Haha, on the serious side, just bring whatever you'd bring for an extended stay somewhere. Plan for the season. The dress code at the Academy isn't completely business casual (can wear jeans), but jeans with no holes and button down collared long sleeve plaid shirts were my go to. A nice pair of slacks and dress shirt on the first day never hurt either, for you'll most likely be doing your oath and meeting people for the first time (not important to everyone, but I like to think those things are important). Grab a couple nice pens and highlighters.

For fun, my roommates had an Xbox. Kim's has TVs in each room. Hope you're in the cul de sac, because can usually have the best get-togethers in there.

Remember to bring the 2 FAA approved forms of ID, some lately have brought incorrect forms.
Things you might want to bring….
Lunch bag
Backpack
FAA will supply all pens, paper etc
Allergy meds Oklahoma famous for causing you issues
If want larger TV in bedroom bring also game system
Houses had DVR’s but do not have DVD players
Sweater jacket FAA keeps it freezing in class
Golf clubs/ workout clothes
Alarm clock if you do not use your phone… YOU NEVER EVER WANT TO BE LATE
Fav pillow or extra blanket
coat hangers
camera

I second the dry erase markers, also:
Sheet protectors to cover your study sheet to practice
Zip lock bags/storage for bringing lunch.
I brought my rice cooker, I used it to cook everything.

I second the dry erase markers, also:
Sheet protectors to cover your study sheet to practice
Zip lock bags/storage for bringing lunch.
I brought my rice cooker, I used it to cook everything.

The sheet protector is an idea there is also an office Max on NW expressway that will laminate anything you bring them for like $3-$4. That's what we ended up doing.

You’re not allowed any electronic devices in class so I don’t think Ipad will be useful. No hats allowed in the building. Bring something for fun, video games or whatever you like. I brought my Apple TV. A lot of people bring their own coffee makers. Kims place had towels but I brought my own. Also suggest your own pillows, the ones there are flat like a pancake. Other than that you don’t really need anything.
This may sound ridiculous, but does this apply to smart watches as well?

Day one, they said no smart watches. We have to leave them in the back of the class room with our cell phones. It doesn’t seem too strictly enforced. One of my classmates wears an Apple Watch. I have a Fitbit that my phone can push texts to, but I shut my phone off during class, so it doesn’t get any.

Back
Top Bottom