wmtscheduler development

ardtivcc

Lurker
FAA
Facility
ZMA Miami Center
shot in the dark here.

I'm trying to develop a new feature for web scheduler. It was originally a chrome extension that just put my scheduler in google calendar. I want to make it available to other controllers but obvious security concerns seem problematic. I'm trying to find anyone inside the FAA to talk to about this. I'm not the programmer so I cant say anything more intelligent or specific my self.

There was an app called Void Time that did the same thing and was taken down because the Agency and NATCA did not endorse it. They also threatened any one that utilized it would face punitive action if they continued to use it. Fair warning.

So as a heads up anything that uses your password or security questions or reads site data after login is some sort of security issue and will never, ever, ever be approved.

I would love to get all my overtimes and stuff as calendar events, but alas that will not happen.

There was an app called Void Time that did the same thing and was taken down because the Agency and NATCA did not endorse it. They also threatened any one that utilized it would face punitive action if they continued to use it. Fair warning.
That whole thing was bullshit. It was so nice to see my calendar populated with my shifts that I could share with my girlfriend just to avoid the inevitable "when are you working?" Also, the OT shifts would populate as well (since management decided notification was via WMT instead of OT slips...) Voidtime was the literally the best thing that happened to seeing the schedule since sliced bread.

I do wonder what the full story was, I heard rumours. Absolute worst case involved ISIS logging in and approving spot leave...

That whole thing was bullshit. It was so nice to see my calendar populated with my shifts that I could share with my girlfriend just to avoid the inevitable "when are you working?" Also, the OT shifts would populate as well (since management decided notification was via WMT instead of OT slips...) Voidtime was the literally the best thing that happened to seeing the schedule since sliced bread.

I do wonder what the full story was, I heard rumours. Absolute worst case involved ISIS logging in and approving spot leave...
Just generic accessing a government system bs. No nuance for stuff like that.

I created an AppleScript which does this. The precautions I took were
  1. I made the source code open-source, in fact I don't supply a compiled app or even a bundled script package. I supply the source code only and it's up to the user to do what they like with it. You can read the source and see exactly what the script is doing with the login info.
  2. Within the code, I made as much of an effort as I could to protect the secrecy of your password. The password itself is immediately passed to an encryping subroutine, and that subroutine itself uses a randomly-generated password that is created locally. I myself have no idea what the password would be on anyone else's computer... although it is possible to find out what it is, if someone has access to your computer and they really want to.
  3. Most importantly, I created a totally new account using a totally new email address that isn't connected with me or my FAA email or my name or anything. So if someone in management gets upset they have no idea who I am.
But Philytroll is right, when you get down to it the script is storing and using your login information. Now password programs like LastPass also do this, but at least in theory they're vetted by multiple people and use whatever the industry best practices are and all that. I'm just one guy.

While the thought behind wanting to help people out with this is good, the people actually doing it are going to fuck it up for everybody else. If the FAA catches wind people are trying to do this and they deem it a “security issue” they’re going to do some dumb shit like put WMT behind the firewall and you’ll only be able to access it at work.

The wife and I share a Google calendar - it really helps with coordinating schedules and juggling the kids. It takes me something like 5 minutes to type in a pay period. It's really not that big of a deal to copy it over manually.

The wife and I share a Google calendar - it really helps with coordinating schedules and juggling the kids. It takes me something like 5 minutes to type in a pay period. It's really not that big of a deal to copy it over manually.
Yeah, I have a shared note that I put my schedule into, along with any other important appointments. We should probably use a calendar, but it’s easy to look at quickly.

No disagreement, but VT was a great QoL tool and anything that I can put on auto populate is a win for me.

I'm retired, so I have no skin in the game. But I always wished there was a way to get text notifications whenever something happened that affected me. Especially when someone made a shift swap request, or when someone accepted a shift swap request that I'd made.
A good coworker would text you when they put in or accepted a swap request

Back
Top Bottom