Bad Credit for background check

cjgomez

I just got the TOL for ATC training and I was wondering would bad credit and $12,000 debt stop me from getting the position. I had 680 credit score last year and no debt but I made the most horrendous mistake to letting my brother use my credit card and he maxed it out and slow to paying back. Credit score dropped tremendously and now I am really nervous before the background test and all the clearance stuff.. please any advice, thank you!

They’ll almost certainly ask questions about it, but long as you’re still making payments on the debt and aren’t delinquent, I would think it’d be unlikely to result in a DQ. Just be honest and explain everything thoroughly during the BI process.

You're more likely to disqualify by having unpaid taxes or lying about your debt situation. As long as you're on a payment plan paying on time You should be fine but expect questions to be asked about it to be answered in depth once it comes time to fill out the SF-86.

Last edited:
If it's in collections you'll need to handle it. If it's just that your utilization is high and you're making payments, then it likely won't be a concern.
Thank you ??

You're more likely to disqualify by having unpaid taxes or lying about your debt situation. As long as you're on a payment plan paying on time You should be fine but expect questions to be asked about it to be answered in depth once it comes time to fill out the SF-86.
Appreciate it ??

Is this really URGENT though ?
Was just pretty nervous about it, wanted some quick feedback before I stress too much on it.

They’ll almost certainly ask questions about it, but long as you’re still making payments on the debt and aren’t delinquent, I would think it’d be unlikely to result in a DQ. Just be honest and explain everything thoroughly during the BI process.
Thank you ??

If it comes up at all the sticking point is “can this information/debt be used to blackmail you?” Tell them no because you used your real name on a message board and everyone already knows about it ??‍♂️ You’ll be fine just don’t lie to them.

Back
Top Bottom