Bidding Leave

CF

Assistant to the Regional Moderator
I ♥ pointSixtyFive
As I understand it when bidding leave for the next year you can only bid the amount accrued for that year.

How does it work when you increase the amount you accrue part way through the year? Do you just do the math? Ex. Going from 4 per pay period to 6.

I'm new, but from what I saw when the binder was going around yes. Some people had the standard 13 days, or 20, or 26, but some people had weird ones like 18 or 15 or something. It's based on the number of hours you'll accrue, not days. (Which also means if you're working the AWS with four ten-day work weeks a day of leave costs you ten hours instead of eight, so you get fewer days to bid.)

Remember this everyone, you can only bid what you accrue in a year. Keep this in mind if you are younger then 50 and go on the ridiculous quest to get to "use or lose status". It's always good idea to carry over 2-3 weeks of leave a year if you can, and you do want to retire at the brink of use or lose status to get that payout, but you might be falling into a trap if you get there too soon.

Once again you only can bid what you accrue, so if you carry over 6 weeks from the previous year at use or lose numbers, you better be able to get spot leave for 6 weeks a year because you can't reserve that in the bidding process. With the FAA in bad shape with staffing in most places (at least how they phrase it), it can be ultra hard to use 6 weeks of spot leave. And often times when you can, you are not going to get 6 extra full weeks off or anything close to that, unless you truly are at a overstaffed facility where spot leave is always approved. You will be taking off individual days here and there, often in the middle of your work week, as that is the only time you might be able to get the leave approved. That is not a good enough reward for me for taking very low levels of leave for years to get to the coveted use or lose status just to say you did it.

Every facility is a little different so it’s best to ask your rep for answers.

For example, my old and current facility both let you bid carryover leave but it was after Round 6 or now Round 7. Old facility and current facility you bid prime time leave against your crew. Non-prime was bid against the area but also still your crew. At the old facility it was still a max of one person per crew. Current facility it’s regardless of crew and just against the area.

I’m not at use or lose but I do see the benefit of reaching it so you never think about turning in leave again.

Regardless, ask your rep.

Remember this everyone, you can only bid what you accrue in a year. Keep this in mind if you are younger then 50 and go on the ridiculous quest to get to "use or lose status". It's always good idea to carry over 2-3 weeks of leave a year if you can, and you do want to retire at the brink of use or lose status to get that payout, but you might be falling into a trap if you get there too soon.

Once again you only can bid what you accrue, so if you carry over 6 weeks from the previous year at use or lose numbers, you better be able to get spot leave for 6 weeks a year because you can't reserve that in the bidding process. With the FAA in bad shape with staffing in most places (at least how they phrase it), it can be ultra hard to use 6 weeks of spot leave. And often times when you can, you are not going to get 6 extra full weeks off or anything close to that, unless you truly are at a overstaffed facility where spot leave is always approved. You will be taking off individual days here and there, often in the middle of your work week, as that is the only time you might be able to get the leave approved. That is not a good enough reward for me for taking very low levels of leave for years to get to the coveted use or lose status just to say you did it.
You CAN bid more days than you accrue for that leave year, it just has to be after all employees are afforded the opportunity to bid all of their accrued leave. You can also request additional NPTL in excess of the designated leave opportunities after the completion of bidding. Any remaining leave opportunities that are not selected can be requested and approved 30 days prior to the schedule being posted.
I'm not entirely sure on what you were trying to say about use or lose leave. If you carry over 6 weeks you don't have to use the 6 weeks that next leave year, you can carry whatever you don't use over to the next year.

You will be taking off individual days here and there, often in the middle of your work week, as that is the only time you might be able to get the leave approved. That is not a good enough reward for me for taking very low levels of leave for years to get to the coveted use or lose status just to say you did it.

I've earned and used more credit leave this year than annual. Not going to lie, it fuckin sucks working all these 6 day weeks to pay for a 5-day weekend here and there, but seeing my annual leave go up by 100 hours this year while still going to Japan for 2 weeks and taking random vacations here and there is pretty dope. Once I get to that 240 and can burn random days here and there for free will be fine by me, even if it means taking off a random Tuesday here and there. Any day I dont have to work is a great day for me.

Back
Top Bottom