C90

So here’s my question for a C90 ask me anything… Did the DM and/or ATM come into the operation, tell your sups and/or TMU to stay in TRIPS, and people did over three hours on position and had missed meal breaks?
We don't really have many supes or TMUs.... I wasn't there for the "Over 3" night but from what I heard middle management (OM level) tried to mitigate the issue but was over-ridden by "someone". That person is allegedly retiring this summer and the previous ATM retired hastily recently.

So here’s my question for a C90 ask me anything… Did the DM and/or ATM come into the operation, tell your sups and/or TMU to stay in TRIPS, and people did over three hours on position and had missed meal breaks?
What the hell is a meal break

Also I’d have plenty of questions if someone wants to respond here or in DMs the alleged toxic work place is what has kept me from applying

How long did it take it you to get referred after you applied?
Applied March 1st. Was referred March 7th. But the bid had been published 44 days by that point which makes me think HR could be issuing referrals every month and a half? Not certain- just assumptions at this point.

Also I’d have plenty of questions if someone wants to respond here or in DMs the alleged toxic work place is what has kept me from applying
What the hell is a meal break
Hit me up if you want to message me privately or put it on here for everyone to see.... Feel free to email the facrep or any of the area reps too if you want an "official" opinion. I can get you their emails. You're welcome reps!

Missed meal is when they had to pay us for not giving us a 30 minute break during a certain time window during the day. Contract quote below...

First priority for breaks shall be given to providing a reasonable

amount of time away from the position of operation for meals. In the event

the employee is required to work during the fourth (4th) hour through the

sixth (6th) hour of his/her shift without a minimum thirty (30) minute

uninterrupted meal break, he/she shall be compensated at the rate of fifty

percent (50%) of one-half of the applicable hourly rate of Base Pay. If the

employee requests and receives the meal break during some other period,

he/she will not be eligible for the missed meal premium pay.

Applied March 1st. Was referred March 7th. But the bid had been published 44 days by that point which makes me think HR could be issuing referrals every month and a half? Not certain- just assumptions at this point.
I think they pull from the list periodically but not a set timeline. Probably will be pulling another list sometime this summer.

Hit me up if you want to message me privately or put it on here for everyone to see.... Feel free to email the facrep or any of the area reps too if you want an "official" opinion. I can get you their emails. You're welcome reps!

Missed meal is when they had to pay us for not giving us a 30 minute break during a certain time window during the day. Contract quote below...

First priority for breaks shall be given to providing a reasonable

amount of time away from the position of operation for meals. In the event

the employee is required to work during the fourth (4th) hour through the

sixth (6th) hour of his/her shift without a minimum thirty (30) minute

uninterrupted meal break, he/she shall be compensated at the rate of fifty

percent (50%) of one-half of the applicable hourly rate of Base Pay. If the

employee requests and receives the meal break during some other period,

he/she will not be eligible for the missed meal premium pay.

I think they pull from the list periodically but not a set timeline. Probably will be pulling another list sometime this summer.
I mean if you want to DM their info, I would love to have it, but as far as general questions, what’s the take home like after taxes, where do most people live, how are controllers to each other versus how management treats them. How difficult do you think it is? What’s there to do nearby, is Chicago actually close by with traffic? If you’d rather dm me that’s fine too

I mean if you want to DM their info, I would love to have it, but as far as general questions, what’s the take home like after taxes, where do most people live, how are controllers to each other versus how management treats them. How difficult do you think it is? What’s there to do nearby, is Chicago actually close by with traffic? If you’d rather dm me that’s fine too
-PM sent

-Take home depends a lot on your tax situation. Married with 1 kid and I contribute to FSA for healthcare and childcare, max tsp, BCBS family plan. Around 5k a PP. I've never made less than 200k gross since I certified and I don't work all my OTs but most of them.

-People live all over, but most of them in the surrounding suburbs. There are some very nice areas within 30 minutes with good schools. Property taxes are high however. You can also live out west if you like a little more room or live closer to the city if thats your thing.

-Controllers are pretty good to eachother. Our crew does meal nights and theres a couple hockey teams and groups that do things outside of work. Theres the occasional butting of heads, but that keeps it interesting. I moved from far away so most of my friends here are also my co-workers. The FLMs are good people and really just run the break rotation lately since theres rarely more than one per shift. Upper management is where we have had some issues in the past, but things are improving lately and we are getting some new blood in the seats that matter. Hopefully this trend continues.

-How difficult? That is a tough one. Some people take to it naturally. Some people really have to grind it out. For the most part however if you keep your head down, know your LOAs and book work and appear to be putting in effort, you will get more than a fair shot. The days of washing people out willy nilly are long gone. Don't get me wrong, training here was the most challenging part of my career, but once you figure it out, working traffic here is rewarding and I personally think its a blast. Most of our "failures" in the past few years just decide it isn't for them for whatever reason. I'm not gonna lie. We had some dark days in the recent past and if I was in training I would've considered leaving, but I'm hoping things are on the mend and am trying to get the word out so some people start bidding here again.

-The Chicagoland area is a huge metropolitan area so you can do anything your little heart desires. Plenty of hunters and outdoorsey types as well.

Last edited:
-PM sent

-Take home depends a lot on your tax situation. Married with 1 kid and I contribute to FSA for healthcare and childcare, max tsp, BCBS family plan. Around 5k a PP. I've never made less than 200k gross since I certified and I don't work all my OTs but most of them.

-People live all over, but most of them in the surrounding suburbs. There are some very nice areas within 30 minutes with good schools. Property taxes are high however. You can also live out west if you like a little more room or live closer to the city if thats your thing.

-Controllers are pretty good to eachother. Our crew does meal nights and theres a couple hockey teams and groups that do things outside of work. Theres the occasional butting of heads, but that keeps it interesting. I moved from far away so most of my friends here are also my co-workers. The FLMs are good people and really just run the break rotation lately since theres rarely more than one per shift. Upper management is where we have had some issues in the past, but things are improving lately and we are getting some new blood in the seats that matter. Hopefully this trend continues.

-How difficult? That is a tough one. Some people take to it naturally. Some people really have to grind it out. For the most part however if you keep your head down, know your LOAs and book work and appear to be putting in effort, you will get more than a fair shot. The days of washing people out willy nilly are long gone. Don't get me wrong, training here was the most challenging part of my career, but once you figure it out, working traffic here is rewarding and I personally think its a blast. Most of our "failures" in the past few years just decide it isn't for them for whatever reason. I'm not gonna lie. We had some dark days in the recent past and if I was in training I would've considered leaving, but I'm hoping things are on the mend and am trying to get the word out so some people start bidding here again.

-The Chicagoland area is a huge metropolitan area so you can do anything your little heart desires. Plenty of hunters and outdoorsey types as well.
I emphasize hockey teams! We also have boat club, ski team and many other wonderful things to be a part of.

Some questions I have fielded in PMs that others might be curious about.

First and foremost I always hear that guys are stuck on position for 2 hours (heard one guy went to 3 one time) routinely with 30 minute breaks. Is this true?

-I haven't gone over 2 this year. Lots of people have though. We often work 1:30-145 though. It really depends on if we need the final monitors open because that uses 3 more bodies most of the day. That being said since the day that people went over 3, management have been told to be more proactive. Since then the number of over 2's is way less. We have certified 4-5 people on their initial walls already this year so hopefully that will help. In the summer when people are on leave and if there is weather it is common to have 30 minute breaks and then get out of your last position with 30 minutes or less left in your shift. This last week we have had nice weather and few people are on leave and most days its been 40-45 minute breaks and almost an hour at the end before your go home time. So it varies greatly.

Seniority isn’t a deciding factor for me but out of curiosity my date is in 2018. What might my seniority look like? My coworkers are my friends but most of them have kids and a family so we don’t hang out too much. How’s the social life at C90? Do you guys hang out a lot? Average age of the controllers?

-Seniority will most likely have you on Wed/Thurs off for a couple years. That side of the schedule is the "more fun" side of the schedule anyway. :) (D CREW!) People on that side of the schedule get together at least twice a week for drinks and there is a hockey team that plays sundays and a bunch of other stuff going on too. So, it sucks not having a normal schedule but we all hang out and stuff on our "weekends" anyway. Average age of controllers depends on the crew. That crew you will end up on is the youngest, with average age in the low to mid 30s and the most senior crew is probably average age of mid 40s. We probably have only 5 people over 50 since most of the retirement wave is done here.

What is the area breakdown? Is there an ORD arr, dep, MDW, and satellite area?
The two areas are Departure and South Sat. Everyone works the ORD arrival wall. Departure guys work ORD departures and North Sat which is PWK airport mostly. South Sat works MDW departures and arrivals and all of the satellite airports that are south of ORD. Generally South Sat is considered harder but it makes going to learn the ORD arrivals easier and makes you a more well rounded controller IMO. The best controllers are all SSAT hands down…. :) Also I’m on an hour break currently.

Back
Top Bottom