Drug Screening Question

Logical_Mongoose

Forum Sage
I recently had the good fortune of having a GI infection in the beginning of August and having a kidney stone this week. The ER gave me some wonderful medications to "push" me through the process of passing the kidney stone, but I have my medical exam and drug screen next week. Does anyone know if my ER documentation will be sufficient for the FAA to prove that I am not a morphine/oxycodone addict when the tests show positive for those?

Don't know for the drug test, but you'll probably have to retest. The kidney stones will be a problem though. They're going to want documentation about that. If you have a history of them it could be disqualifying.

Don't know for the drug test, but you'll probably have to retest. The kidney stones will be a problem though. They're going to want documentation about that. If you have a history of them it could be disqualifying.

Fortunately (or unfortunately), this was my first time experiencing the terror that is a kidney stone. Thank you for your input MJ; I really hope I didn't come this far to be screwed over by a 2mm pebble that I had to pee out!

I passed a single kidney stone over 10 years ago. At the time, it was less than 5 years since passing so the FAA requested an x-ray or MRI to determine if there were retained kidney stones and a note from my doctor stating there weren't any. The current AME Guide states the same.

This is from the AME Guide:
Question 18.j. Kidney stone or blood in urine. The applicant should provide history and treatment, pertinent medical records, current status report and medication. If a procedure was done, the applicant must provide the report and pathology reports.

If you have no retained stones, you can be issued a medical clearance. If, however, you have retained stones, your medical clearance may be deferred.

I passed a single kidney stone over 10 years ago. At the time, it was less than 5 years since passing so the FAA requested an x-ray or MRI to determine if there were retained kidney stones and a note from my doctor stating there weren't any. The current AME Guide states the same.

This is from the AME Guide:
Question 18.j. Kidney stone or blood in urine. The applicant should provide history and treatment, pertinent medical records, current status report and medication. If a procedure was done, the applicant must provide the report and pathology reports.

If you have no retained stones, you can be issued a medical clearance. If, however, you have retained stones, your medical clearance may be deferred.

Thanks, echster. So it sounds like I'll have to make a follow-up with a urologist and have them write a letter saying I passed the one stone and there are no additional stones kicking about waiting to ruin my life. Fingers crossed!

Thanks, echster. So it sounds like I'll have to make a follow-up with a urologist and have them write a letter saying I passed the one stone and there are no additional stones kicking about waiting to ruin my life. Fingers crossed!

Correct. If possible, get the letter before your physical and take to the AME. You want the letter from the urologist to explicitly state something along the line of "a single stone passed and, after review of (x-ray/CT/MRI), no further stones retained." So long as you do not pass a stone or stones in the future, you are not likely to have to do this again. I haven't has to and it has been 10+ years for me.

RE: Kidney stones
This info is relevant to current FAA controllers as well.

Thanks for everyone for your input and insight, I really do appreciate it.

It seems like the physical went well in those regards, however the doctor diagnosed me with mild red-green color blindness. This is odd to me since I have had eye exams every year since the first grade up until I had LASIK three years ago and it never came up. Will this diagnosis screw me over? Is there a way to get a second opinion if it does? Are there any corrective remedies that work?

I've tried to not get my hopes up throughout this process; but now that I've made it this far I can taste it, I don't want to lose this opportunity, and I'll do dang near anything to get it.

There is no cure for color blindness and the FAA doesn't allow for some of the "corrective" lenses you will see advertised. In both my FAA medicals I've missed a few of those find-the-number plates but not enough to fail that portion medical. People who do fail are given a test called the ATCOV by the regional flight surgeon. From what I understand, it tests you on the different types of displays used by controllers. It has the possibility of restricting you to certain types of equipment/facilities.

Also from what I've been told its extremely rare that somebody gets completely DQ'd from the test.

There is no cure for color blindness and the FAA doesn't allow for some of the "corrective" lenses you will see advertised. In both my FAA medicals I've missed a few of those find-the-number plates but not enough to fail that portion medical. People who do fail are given a test called the ATCOV by the regional flight surgeon. From what I understand, it tests you on the different types of displays used by controllers. It has the possibility of restricting you to certain types of equipment/facilities.

Also from what I've been told its extremely rare that somebody gets completely DQ'd from the test.

Thank you very much for the insight, ATOH. The doctor didn't tell me I "failed" anything; he told me about the color-blindness after the fact and said I missed a couple of them but wouldn't give me any additional information about it. I believe the fear of not knowing is doing more to me now than anything else. I found it odd that I've lived my whole life this way without it ever being an issue before, outside of occasionally confusing my navy blue and black slacks for each other. I'll count myself lucky if presented with the opportunity to redeem myself on the ATCOV. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom